Chartered jet retained at PUJ after suspected shipment found on board

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Looking at the pic again, I count about 38 "stacks" with what looks like about 10 cocaine bricks in each one. Hmmm....., I wonder why they're only reporting 200?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That looks like way more than 400 pounds to me.
Somebody assumed they were stacks of 1 Kilo bricks
That is the # I also first came up with , but they are much bigger , 5 to 10 Kilo each is more likely. definitely not 1 kilo each

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That is the # I also first came up with , but they are much bigger , 5 to 10 Kilo each is more likely. definitely not 1 kilo each
That was me. If you look closely, it looks to me like there are about 10 bricks to each stack(?).

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
If the plane is chartered the prosecutors will have to prove that the company officials knew of its illegal use.
Narcos are well aware of the risk of confiscation.
Nice plane.
And so goes the worlds longest war with no end in sight.
One wonders what the cops will do to fill their time if the war is ever declared lost?
If the "items" were in other containers, like what looks to be black plastic bags in the photo, and the contents were not visible there is plausible deniability. Yes, the weight needs to be accounted for and balanced which is standard procedure. I used to live with a friend who did these calculations for cargo flights as their living. The math is complicated, the process is critical but once you grasp it, it's not that hard to do. Just repetitious. They loved the work.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I am a supporter of legalization, however, many of the states in the US that legalized placed very low thc limits on their products.
Be nicer to have a twofer and get a double benefit with thc levels equal to what is available everywhere..

Other issue is the sky high prices the state stores charge.
If the state is going into the reefer biz they need to be competitive since there is lots of competition.
We have hybrids for sale in our weed shops that contains very high levels of THC. They are the best sellers. The production of medical marijuana is very strict. Consumer production less strict. We‘re allowed a restricted number of plants for home growing. The main drug problem here is crystal meth. Cheap and easily made in home labs. The drug of choice for very young people. Cocaine is readily available but expensive compared to crack or legally grown marijuana. The market for edibles with THC is strong as is the market for pain killing edibles with only CBD. I used CBD gummy bears to relieve my carpel tunnel pain until I had the medical procedure done to relieve it permanently. They worked well.

A friend of mine, a very wise investor, is picking up cheap stock in companies growing magic mushrooms. He says it’s going the same way as the stocks in marijuana grow ops.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Exactly. A lot more than the quoted 210 kilos, about 500 pounds. Way more! Something is not right. Closer to 10 kilo blocks.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Exactly. A lot more than the quoted 210 kilos, about 500 pounds. Way more! Something is not right. Closer to 10 kilo blocks.
Here's a bigger picture. I see about what looks to me as 10 bricks in each stack. That would be 380 bricks. You think each one weighs 10 kilos? That would be over 8000 pounds.

Here's a foto of typical one kilo bricks for comparison:

Reactions: jd426 and JD Jones

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Here's a bigger picture. I see about what looks to me as 10 bricks in each stack. That would be 380 bricks. You think each one weighs 10 kilos? That would be over 8000 pounds.

Here's a foto of typical one kilo bricks for comparison:
The lower picture appears to be stock footage. Something not related to the aircraft seizure. Cocaine is usually shipped in one kilo packages. I’ve assisted the police with drug searches in shipping containers containing very toxic hazardous chemicals. Too toxic for the drug dogs to search. I’ve seen kilo sized packs. I’ve also seen two confiscated tractor trailer loads of sacks of primo Colombian weed but that’s another story. The packages in both photos appear to exceed one kilo size. The lower photo packs appear to be closer to 5 kilos. The ones on the tarmac appear to be the same size or slightly larger. The tarmac seizure appears to exceed the quoted 210 kilo total. Just a guess on my part based on the photos I’ve seen.

We know Dominican Today is not noted for it’s reporting accuracy. I still think there is something not right about the whole media report. This is armchair quarterback stuff. Guesses, estimates, and prognostications we post numerous times on DR1. The actual truth behind the reporting, seizure, and quantities involved may never be released. We know that, in many countries, a lot of the drugs seized in large amounts doesn’t get destroyed. They end up back on the streets. The DR is no different.

Reactions: jd426

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Was going to say .. these planes are pretty sophisticated , with respect to weight on board , so the Pilot HAD to know something was up , UNLESS all those packages were disgused inside many Luggage bags ? they dont seem to give the actual weight though .,just 200 packages . But that looks like about 1,000 Lbs easy ..
If you look closely at the photo of the tarmac seizure, there appears to be a bunch of empty sports equipment bags at the top edge of the pile. Maybe the drugs were packed in these for transport. That would be a lot of sports equipment bags. Packed suitcases are one thing but no experienced pilot would miss the bags unless he was involved in the transport. Any experienced pilot doing their preflight walk around would easily notice a shipment that large. The flight officer (2IC) usually supervises loading and stowage of large items aboard private aircraft, especially one of this size. Maybe the pilot is innocent. A lot of red flags here.

Reactions: jd426

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
If you look closely at the photo of the tarmac seizure, there appears to be a bunch of empty sports equipment bags at the top edge of the pile. Maybe the drugs were packed in these for transport. That would be a lot of sports equipment bags. Packed suitcases are one thing but no experienced pilot would miss the bags unless he was involved in the transport. Any experienced pilot doing their preflight walk around would easily notice a shipment that large. The flight officer (2IC) usually supervises loading and stowage of large items aboard private aircraft, especially one of this size. Maybe the pilot is innocent. A lot of red flags here.
If the Canadian report of the crew reporting the drugs to the Dominican authorities is accurate, then the pilots are innocent. Not a very good look for a brand new airline.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The lower picture appears to be stock footage. Something not related to the aircraft seizure. Cocaine is usually shipped in one kilo packages. I’ve assisted the police with drug searches in shipping containers containing very toxic hazardous chemicals. Too toxic for the drug dogs to search. I’ve seen kilo sized packs. I’ve also seen two confiscated tractor trailer loads of sacks of primo Colombian weed but that’s another story. The packages in both photos appear to exceed one kilo size. The lower photo packs appear to be closer to 5 kilos. The ones on the tarmac appear to be the same size or slightly larger. The tarmac seizure appears to exceed the quoted 210 kilo total. Just a guess on my part based on the photos I’ve seen.
Yes, it is a stock photo. Like I said in my post, I just put it there for comparison purposes. I've seen many photos of cocaine seizures and they all appear to be that size. I always thought that one kilo bricks were the standard size that narcos shipped their cocaine in.

In any case, there appears to be more packages and the weight much more than is being reported. Using only the reported 200 packages and your guess of 5 kilos each, that's one ton of cocaine. That's a lot. That should have been much bigger news. Something is not right.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If the Canadian report of the crew reporting the drugs to the Dominican authorities is accurate, then the pilots are innocent. Not a very good look for a brand new airline.
I agree but, if you look at the Caribbean destinations they were flying to, a lot of the countries are known for drug exporters and importers. I imagine the temptation to take the risk was high and the inevitably they would be carrying drug mules even higher.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes, it is a stock photo. Like I said in my post, I just put it there for comparison purposes. I've seen many photos of cocaine seizures and they all appear to be that size. I always thought that one kilo bricks were the standard size that narcos shipped their cocaine in.

In any case, there appears to be more packages and the weight much more than is being reported. Using only the reported 200 packages and your guess of 5 kilos each, that's one ton of cocaine. That's a lot. That should have been much bigger news. Something is not right.
I agree. Your estimates are probably more accurate than mine. But something definitely smells in Denmark as Shakespeare said.