U.S. Phone Number That is NOT VOIP??

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I hope you are enjoying "La Semana Santa." Buy your groceries before it is too late!
I am dealing with a business in the U.S. that requires a U.S. phone number so that I can receive SMS messages for 2FA (two factor authentication). Well, I do have a U.S. number, Google Voice. But they won't accept that because they say it's not a real U.S. number because it's a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) number,

When I Google "obtain U.S. phone number" they are all VOIP or they say they are NOT VOIP but when I investigate further, they say they are "virtual," which I think
is the same thing.

Can anyone recommend a service (paid, no problem) that will be regarded as an authentic U.S. number from which I can receive SMS messages? Now that I think about it, I don't even know if it's possible as my Dominican phone number is associated with my Claro SIM. I both cannot find a service and I'm also a little confused about the relationship between having a U.S. number, providing I can find a "real" one, and how that relates to receiving an SMS on my Dominican phone.

Thanks!

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Can anyone recommend a service (paid, no problem) that will be regarded as an authentic U.S. number from which I can receive SMS messages?

Hmmm 🤔…We were just talking about this yesterday. Try an eSim .. …its basically just a virtual version of a US SIM card. If you Google ‘eSim USA’ and if you have a compatible phone you can find and choose a provider and be up and running with a non voip US number .

We chose ‘mintmobile ‘ great customer service …so far 😬……I actually asked them the question about receiving SMS messages for 2FA while abroad…and they said “no problem “ . All I can say for now is that our eSim number works without internet connection which would indicate that it’s a non voip number.

Hope this helps and good luck.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You'll need a dual SIM phone to start with. Then you need to get a proper US SIM and put it in the second slot, and make sure you always keep that SIM activated (i.e by paying a monthly rental or minimum cost to the phone company that provides that SIM). I am guessing that you could get a US phone provider to post out a new SIM to you at a freight forwarding address in Miami (like CPS or any of the others) and you'd have it in a few days.

You don't generally pay for incoming SMS on a foreign SIM.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Hmmm 🤔…We were just talking about this yesterday. Try an eSim .. …its basically just a virtual version of a US SIM card. If you Google ‘eSim USA’ and if you have a compatible phone you can find and choose a provider and be up and running with a non voip US number .

We chose ‘mintmobile ‘ great customer service …so far 😬……I actually asked them the question about receiving SMS messages for 2FA while abroad…and they said “no problem “ . All I can say for now is that our eSim number works without internet connection which would indicate that it’s a non voip number.

Most eSims that I've tried won't work to receive text messages because they don't assign you a new number, but now you've got me curious about "mint mobile."

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Most eSims that I've tried won't work to receive text messages because they don't assign you a new number, but now you've got me curious about "mint mobile."

For all intensive purposes mint runs on GSM but runs VoIP and SIP along that backbone to provide you their suite of services. The end user doesn't need an internet connection, but it still works like one.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
My OnePlus 8T phone has slots for 2 sims. I have my Dominican sim and my T Mobile sim (with my cell phone number that I have had for decades in the states) in the phone. Both are always on and active here in The DR. I send and receive texts and make and receive calls from both numbers.

Reactions: MariaRubia

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For all intensive purposes mint runs on GSM but runs VoIP and SIP along that backbone to provide you their suite of services. The end user doesn't need an internet connection, but it still works like one.
Pls don't be offended.

for all intents and purposes

What to Know
For all intents and purposes is a phrase meaning "essentially" or "in effect." It is often mistaken as for all intensive purposes because when spoken aloud these two phrases sound very similar. These mistakes, where incorrect words and phrases are replaced but the meaning remains the same, are known as eggcorns.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Pls don't be offended.

for all intents and purposes
No offence. Lol I've said it wrong my whole life no worries Uncle W!

I recently sent a work email that i was trying to explain a certian individual had intimate, extensive knowledge about a system, and i said "carnal knowledge" 😂

Besides, you know ingle is my 2nd language.

Touche for mudanza!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No offence. Lol I've said it wrong my whole life no worries Uncle W!

I recently sent a work email that i was trying to explain a certian individual had intimate, extensive knowledge about a system, and i said "carnal knowledge" 😂

Besides, you know ingle is my 2nd language.

Touche for mudanza!
If Eng is your 2nd language - I forgive you....... but don't bluff me !

Carnal knowledge must have brought the house down..... a big step further than 'intimate, extensive'....hahaha
but knowledge, nonetheless.........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
2nd Language Skills

years ago I had dinner whit a Swede.... who had lived in NYC for years had owned several business, etc
Knew a lot and had great English

After dinner , he said,
Let's go out and get rambunctious !

I heard and said -- Let me guess, that's your biggest English word....
Yup -
he answers proudly

So I added,
Well, you're in luck , rambunctiousness is ubiquitous around here !

Blank stare for a minute - I explained, and he learned a new word !

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If Eng is your 2nd language - I forgive you....... but don't bluff me !

Carnal knowledge must have brought the house down..... a big step further than 'intimate, extensive'....hahaha
but knowledge, nonetheless.........
Come on W! You of course know I'm bluffing. But I'm humble enough to admit poor grammar and misused vocabulary. I have no problem there, sir.

My boss replied to all saying : "I'm sure Hijo did not mean carnal" 🤣🤣🤣

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
You'll need a dual SIM phone to start with. Then you need to get a proper US SIM and put it in the second slot, and make sure you always keep that SIM activated (i.e by paying a monthly rental or minimum cost to the phone company that provides that SIM). I am guessing that you could get a US phone provider to post out a new SIM to you at a freight forwarding address in Miami (like CPS or any of the others) and you'd have it in a few days.

You don't generally pay for incoming SMS on a foreign SIM.
I am considering this but don’t know if my iPhone can have two Sim

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
It seems, as posted previously, that you no longer need a dual sim phone. That's old school and there are simpler, at least in terms of hardware, solutions like Skype, as mentioned by Cristo Rey. That seems best if you're not afraid of a small fee and then no need to change phones or get an additional phone.

I have no need and Whatsapp or Viber works well for my purposes but if you need to receive SMS messages from NA, or elsewhere abroad, is there a better, non-hardware solution than Skype?