Annoying Dominican Habits

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I raised my sons the same way my parents raised me. Open doors for other people, help older people....etc. All this is automatic reflex as you same for most of us Canadians, at least of my generation. My sons both tell that people often comment and thank them for helping them or opening doors. My younger son does it for almost everyone, regardless of age or sex. Neither of them likes to use the word sorry unless they really mean it though. There are lots of polite Dominicans.
Yes there are many polite Dominicans and even more so Haitians. They are the ones raised mainly away from the streets and who receive education.
But so many are raised Tigre-Style in the barrio and their old bad habits will never be broken, cutting in line, theft on convenience, loud crappy music, cars with all the flashy attachments.

Speaking of cars: One cultural habit here I find hilarious is the strap that is supposed to be tied to a tow hook location dangling from cars.

Some are even tied to moto license plates (those who can afford a car). The straps they use are not tow rated obviously - but it seems uncle Tito had one so the whole barrio just had to do it to keep up. Maybe we should coin the phrase: "Keeping up with Tito".
I guarantee anyone with one of those straps received a sub-standard public education and is likely uninteresting to talk to.
Raise your hand if you have a friend with a 'tow strap'

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Quality thread, this. A lot of ground has been covered already.

"Me ofendiste" when they ask you for something that you decline to provide. I don't mind being asked to loan money or to help out in some way but my general policy is that I am not a bank, and don't perform loans. I will generally say something like "No, no puedo hacer prestamos." Or "No te puedo ayudar con eso". Having someone then respond, admonishing you to not be "tacaño" or telling you that you offended them by denying their request.

There is a lot of messed up psychology going on in that interaction.
All you need to do to that is respond "Mejor tacaño que pendejo" with a smile.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yesterday I was prompted to comment in this thread while trying to park my car in Cabarete main street. There were many spaces taken up by motos parked lengthways or in the middle of available spaces, meaning that one moto is taking the space of one car. Other spaces were filled by cones and boxes where shop owners don't want you to park outside their shop, blocking the view of its magnificence.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Can a Dominican drive a car if the horn is broken?

As a side note,
....... motorcycle horns are magical and will magically clear anything impeding "their" road way.

Traffic is expected to move instantly when the traffic light turns green, if not before.
(Regardless how far back you are)

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
All you need to do to that is respond "Mejor tacaño que pendejo" with a smile.
I am learning (too late in life) and after many losses (in loans to friends), or if they repaid they paid back way late in drips and drabs.
Don't loan money to friend or beggars.
Beggar's never stop and don't appreciate it anyway, and loaning to friends is a sure way to lose both money and friend.

There are exceptions - people who are honest to the core and appreciate the loan and usually are eager to get it repaid on time or early.
I have a few friends like that and they are solid, but very few people in the world are like that.
Most mid-westerners I found are good to repay, but California is a different story (full of swindlers).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can a Dominican drive a car if the horn is broken?

As a side note,
....... motorcycle horns are magical and will magically clear anything impeding "their" road way.

Traffic is expected to move instantly when the traffic light turns green, if not before.
That may be the only item on a car or moto that is checked and maintained :D

• Haha
Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
That may be the only item on a car or moto that is checked and maintained :D
I went to NJ by the end of 2022 same over there, I was pissed up with all this people and not talking just about Dominicans I think all Hispanic does.

Horn is a disrespect for most people here where I live, you hunk and you may get shoot here in NC.

JJ

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Appears we aint the only one's who get annoyed by their disrespectful behavior.
You can take a Dominican out the Dominican Republic but you can not take the Dominican Republic out of a Dominican.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Walking out of a store and crashing into the people walking on the sidewalk (Downtown Santiago).

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
In the 70's I would repeatedly have this conversation.
Campesino: De donde eres?
Me: Nebraska
Campesino: Brooklynn?
Me: Nebraska
Campesino: Brooklynn?
Me: No. Nebraska. Es otro barrio de Nueva York.
Campesino: O si si si.
Hah!

True story:

Friend: <<Joseito, ¿en qué parte de Nueva York tú vives?>>
Me: <<Oh, no. Yo no vivo en Nueva York; yo vivo en Texas>>.
Friend: <<Texas pertenece a Nueva York>>.

At the time, my friend had already attended college and had a B.S. in Agriculture. Eventually, he returned to school and acquired a law degree. He now holds a 10-year U.S. tourist visa and travels to NYC and Mass. periodically.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
By far, the most annoying habit by local folks is asking for monetary help.

Amigo: <<¡Diablo, Joseito, qué bueno que viniste!>>
(I'm so glad you're here!)

Me: <<Estoy contento de estar aquí>>.
(Thanks. I'm happy to be here.)

Amigo: <<Mira, Joseito, a mi está llevando el diablo: Me estoy tragando un cable, y necesito que me ayudes>>.
(I'm going through some really hard times, and I need your help.)

While it's true that some folks are in dire straits, and deserve a hand, others claim their situation is of utmost urgency:

Amigo: <<Muchacho, las cosas que me pasan a mí, no le pasan a nadie: Ahora se me rompió la pantalla del celular, y necesito comprar otra. Ayúdame ahí>>.
(Man, I have the worst luck in the history of EVER! My phone's screen just cracked, and I need a new one.)

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Dominicans clap hands when airplane lands.

JJ
To each his own , but I really really Enjoy that part of the Flight , when those wheels touch down and happy people Clap ... My Vacation time has officially Started . And Its not just Dominicans doing it any more . I have personally started that Clap myself .
So I respectfully disagree with you on this one ... lol