HIERROS or NO HIERROS

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Question : would you install HIERROS on a apartment doors or house doors even if that property happens to be on a very very nice neighborhood in santiago ?

So let’s say you move in to some upscale fancy neighborhood such as LOS CERROS DE GURABOS would you install HIERROS ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the DR you will see bars on windows and even on doors/balconies regardless if the neighborhood is safe or not. First and foremost, having bars in a cement home is a tradition that goes back to Spain. Nowadays it also serves as a safety measure, but unlike in the USA where bars on windows are slmost always seen in rough neighborhoods, in the DR this is not always the case.

In Spain bars on windows are badically universal, especially in homes and regardless of the security situation, which is mostly very safe.

With that said, there are cement homes in public streets the DR with no bars on windows and doors while most or every house in their neighborhood have bars. You would think if home break ins and theft was an issue there, they wouldn't last much without putting bars on their window, but the don't.

A similar situation happens with gates and the fence/wall surrounding the property. Occasionally there is a house in a public street with no fence and gates while every other house there has them. Why are they able to maintain that when everybody else has gates and a frontal fence? The criminals avoid robbing them despite in a neighborhood where gates, frontal frences, and bars are universal a home without them would be easier to break in? Alas, crime is not the only readon for people to have those things in the DR. Tradition is a major factor too. Plus, many Dominicans feel a house is "naked" without gates and a verja. Again, in Spain gates and verjas are common throughout. Not so much in the USA.

Last edited:

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I'm totally the ANTI HIERRO GUY !!!
A life in Fear is No Life at all.
Some fancy Cameras outside (Real or Fake does the same Job). Some nice Signs that your Home is Alarm protected (get on amazon) and you are good.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
@rey

This was in Samuel Hazard's book "Santo Domingo Past and Present and a Glance at Haiti." Keep in mind this was published in 1871 (about 152 years ago) describing what he saw during an extensive visit to the DR which included visiting many towns and traversing on horseback a huge swathe of the country. His visit to Haiti wasn't very extensive limited to Cap Haitian and vicinity, Port-au-Prince and vicinity (it should be noted he says the mountains were "forest clad" as seen from Port-au-Prince and by a river he saw many logs from trees freshly cut floating down to the port, presumably for export), and Gonaives and vicinity. The boats he took leaving Puerto Plata on his way back to New York City meant stopping in those places in Haiti.

Look at the sentences in yellow brackets.

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0418.jpeg

Very safe yet bars were universal (on mamposteria/cement homes, not the wooden ones.) He never mentions the bars while describing Cap Haitian and Port-au-Prince, so it's safe to assume they were not common over there. He does mentions bars on window were common in Havana, which he visited a few years before going to the DR/Haiti on another extensive trip in Cuba. Common denominator between Cuba and the DR is that both were colonies of Spain and in Spain bars on windows have always been universal. Not so much in France (though you do see them more often in the Meditteranean part, but most French that settled in Haiti were not from Southern France) and Haiti was once a colony of France.

Moral of the story is that in the DR you can't judge the crime situation in a neighborhood going by whether there are bars on the windows of cement homes, because crime isn't the only reason to have them.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In the DR you will see bars on wibdows and even doors/balconies regardless if the neighborhood is safe or not. First and foremost, having bars in a cement home is a tradition that goes back to Spain. Nowadays it also serves as a safety measure, but unlike in the USA where bars on windows are slmost always seen in rough neighborhoods, in the DR this is not always the case.

In Spain bars on windows are badically universal, especially in homes and regardless of the security situation, which is mostly very safe.

With that said, there are cement homes in public streets the DR with no bars on windows and doors while most or every house in their neighborhood have bars. You would think if home break ins and theft was an issue there, they wouldn't last much without putting bars on their window, but the don't.

A similar situation happens with gates and the fence/wall surrounding the property. Occasionally there is a house in a public street with no fence and gates while every other house there has them. Why are they able to maintain that when everybody else has gates and a frontal fence? The criminals avoid robbing them despite in a neighborhood where gates, frontal frences, and bars are universal a home without them would be easier to break in? Alas, crime is not the only readon for people to have those things in the DR. Tradition is a major factor too. Plus, many Dominicans feel a house is "naked" without gates and a verja. Again, in Spain gates and verjas are common throughout. Not so much in the USA.

What a good analysis. 👍🏻

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am pro hierros but if I was building I would make them so they open incase escape from a fire is needed. Maybe locked with a hinge.
That's the fire law and housing law in the states. Big fine if tenant brings you to court. But tenant won't bc they don't want to be broken into.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am pro hierros but if I was building I would make them so they open incase escape from a fire is needed. Maybe locked with a hinge.
We have hierro as well but we live in a campo (I have a bad reputation now because I shot with my shotgun a couple of years ago in the air when five so called crab hunters were approaching our home at three a.m.) but in an appartement on a second or third floor I find it redundant.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
We have hierro as well but we live in a campo (I have a bad reputation now because I shot with my shotgun a couple of years ago in the air when five so called crab hunters were approaching our home at three a.m.) but in an appartement on a second or third floor I find it redundant.
I guarantee you that that shots you fired a few years ago, still help you more than all the iron bars in the world.

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
If everyone in the apartment building has them, could be that something happened before.

If an apartment below has hierros on windows, a thief can use the hierros to climb into your place at night or steal from your balcony.

I saw hierros in Piantini. Apartments on the high floors... either some thief was climbing up or people are paranoid.

Reactions: JD Jones

rey

Jan 2, 2007
If everyone in the apartment building has them, could be that something happened before.

If an apartment below has hierros on windows, a thief can use the hierros to climb into your place at night or steal from your balcony.

I saw hierros in Piantini. Apartments on the high floors... either some thief was climbing up or people are paranoid.
HIERROS IN PIANTINI ? I believe you are confused … IN PIANTINI HIERROS ? No way

rey

Jan 2, 2007

My friend PIANTINI it’s the safest neighborhood in the Dominican Republic NO hierros needed …

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
My friend PIANTINI it’s the safest neighborhood in the Dominican Republic NO hierros needed …
Piantini is very safe.... but some the places did have. I was surprised, too. I didnt see them on doors but did see on some some windows that were possibly rhe 8th floor or higher which didn't make sense to me but....

I wish i had a picture. It was not that common there but i did see them.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you have small kids and live in an apartment from the second floor or higher, bars on windows (depends if they are persianas or glass windows) and especially on the balcony is a smart move. Kids like to invent too much, especially when they manage to get away from an adult's supervision.

They also give psychological help for anyone with height fear. You would think someone afrsid on heights woildn't live in an apartment that isn't on the ground floor, but surprisingly many live quite high.

The bars on the balcony also comes in handy for flower lovers.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
HIERROS IN PIANTINI ? I believe you are confused … IN PIANTINI HIERROS ? No way
?

IMG_0450.jpeg

The white building on the left doesn't have any bars, but in many of the newer buildings management prohibits things such as installing bars or drying clothes in the balcony among other things. Others have a special type of bars that the builder of the building sells and is the only type of bars that can be installed there. Anyway, if the issue was simply for security, ehat makes anyone think theives would break in the apartments in the yellow building and not in the white one when they are next to each other?

IMG_0446.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is an example (not in Piantini) of a house in a public street with no frontal fence, despite every house there has a frontal fence.

IMG_0451.jpeg