anyone noticed how boring its got in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Too busy doing things usedul to get bored!!

Have you noyiced the thread on the floodings in Santiago, Islabon, MontiChristi etc?? If you are bored you can always pop out to give a hand there ......... then post about your experiences afterwards!!

Now THAT would be interesting!! ~ Grahame.

This was exactly what I was thinking - but once again, Grahame beat me to the punch! Although, my spelling would have been better!! LOL ;)

naturelover - what is it you are exactly looking for on this forum? Do you get all excited when people start arguing, or talk about nonsense that really didn't need to get posted in the first place?

DR1 is in place to inform people, answer travel questions, give advice to those who are thinking about relocating, put up advisories regarding weather, strikes, road conditions etc. Sure we all get carried away at times, have a little fun (sometimes at:cheeky::ermm: the expense of a newbie!), but that is just human nature.

A lot of DR1'rs have gotten to know one another over the years (as much as can be expected from just reading each others posts), or have met personally, or are good friends in the first place, but the common theme between strangers and friends is everyone is here to help out!

I have said countless times that I wish DR1 was available to me before I had moved to the DR - it would have made the transition so much easier and the wealth of knowledge is so vast on this site, it is remarkable.

Everyday on this site I learn something new about the DR, I now know more about the country than when I actually lived there and experienced it.

So read the threads, learn, share your experiences so that someone may benefit from them and you will find that DR1 is actually a very interesting forum.

Marlie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Was In "Plimoth" Massachusetts On "Thanksgiving Day!

Other than being at the site of the "First Thanksgiving", I will always be at "Rocky's"!
Wasn't there a "John" at the "First Thanksgiving"????
Let me "PLUG" the DR1 Santo Domingo "Christmas Party" at "La Taverna" next Friday the 21st. There is a "Thread" about this somewhere.
PS. I am "solisiting" REPUTATION VOTES for myself!
So,as Thomas P. "TIP" O'Neil used to say; "Vote EARLY,and vote OFTEN!":cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Very boring. True.

Because it is a very typical american forum (for whatever reason called DR !)

"Political correctness" - that means never call a spade a spade.

People are scared to death to say anything and to get letigated or punished in some other way.

The same way like they are scared to death to get tickets in NY for whatever possible - from driving faster than a snail on a highway to having a bottle of beer in their hands without a paper bag.

But as of now there is not seem any alternative and we must be grateful to Robert and other owners of the board for even a limited opportunity and a censored freedom to communicate on subjects related to our beloved Dominican Republic.

Viva DR1 !

has anyone noticed how boring its getting here.........have all the interesting ones got banned

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Because it is a very typical american forum (for whatever reason called DR !)

:ermm: you need to check the stats. i believe most of the people on here are non-americans.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
many DR1 folks are Hippocrates, they say one thing yet their actions translate in to other meanings. Example: some guys who defend the poor and black folks on Dr1 are the same folks who don't know a single black person back home, they may work with one or 2 but no true people they can call friends. It so happens they are either dating or married to a black dominicana who always happens to be dirt poor, so now they come to their defense. yet the same people didn't have any contacts with poor folks who lived in projects in their own respective country.
Some gringos defend this country and the people till the end yet they never spend time to learn the language or customs nor they like the food here. So one is left to wonder what is it exactly they have embraced in this country, apart from a young girl?
Then you have good Christian folks who want equality for all human being and believe all humans are created equal. yet its shocking to see the same folks support the wars that is killing innocent human beings (children, women, farmers etc) in many parts of the world. maybe the lives there are not much worth as lives in USA?
So in reality, Dr1 is full of liars and Hippocrates. Politically correctness has killed all the joy in many thread.
AZB

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Preach AZB Preach !!!! :laugh:

and i really wonder how many folks on here are rejects/misfits from their own country pretending to be somebody in a third world environment. everyone didn't up in the DR trying to escape the Holacaust..maybe trying to escape reality..

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, you've been hanging out in the wrong places.
Jugging Sosua by a couple of blocks of main drag and the tourist access to the beach is ridiculous.
Do you have any idea of how big Sosua really is?
Figure from the water to mountaintop, if applicable, but certainly a few miles in, from Cangrejo to the Vista del Caribe area, arguably the mid point between Sosua & Cabarete.
If you think that your comment/opinion is valid based on a strip 100 feet wide and less than 1/2 mile long, then you have zero concept of both the geographical magnitude of Sosua and it's 30 barrios (approx.), nor do you have any concept of the good social life here.
You might consider that it is not DR1 who doesn't want Sosua badmouthed, but rather that your assessment is ludicrous, at best.

You could be right. I really haven't had a lot of extra time to spend there. It is more relaxing than Santo Domingo, but that ain't saying much. I do respect people though from the states who start from scratch there. This is a tough culture to break through or get used to, no matter where you are. Then add on the extra expenses, corrupt cops, and targeting of criminals it is a lot to deal with.

So I guess I am not passing judgement on all of Sosua, just the main street there. Definitely a Tijuana element there.

N

naturelover

Seeeeeee...it was boring until you posted this thread...:)

well that was the idea to get people talking...ahem they just talking about not liking me lol

of course i missed you Roxette my little swamp-duck you and me is the only normal ones round these parts

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
many DR1 folks are Hippocrates, they say one thing yet their actions translate in to other meanings. Example: some guys who defend the poor and black folks on Dr1 are the same folks who don't know a single black person back home, they may work with one or 2 but no true people they can call friends. It so happens they are either dating or married to a black dominicana who always happens to be dirt poor, so now they come to their defense. yet the same people didn't have any contacts with poor folks who lived in projects in their own respective country.
Some gringos defend this country and the people till the end yet they never spend time to learn the language or customs nor they like the food here. So one is left to wonder what is it exactly they have embraced in this country, apart from a young girl?
Then you have good Christian folks who want equality for all human being and believe all humans are created equal. yet its shocking to see the same folks support the wars that is killing innocent human beings (children, women, farmers etc) in many parts of the world. maybe the lives there are not much worth as lives in USA?
So in reality, Dr1 is full of liars and Hippocrates. Politically correctness has killed all the joy in many thread.
AZB

Thank you AZB. I can't count how many times I've been at a DR resort and have had white people stare or give me dirty looks, because they felt "She shouln't be here". (I am a light skinned 'African American'). I carry myself in a quiet respectful manner, yet my colour makes me stand out to some of them.
Obviously most of the vacationers I met in the DR dind't do this, but even when a few do it becomes annoying.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
or idiotic posts like this one....

and i really wonder how many folks on here are rejects/misfits from their own country pretending to be somebody in a third world environment. everyone didn't up in the DR trying to escape the Holacaust..maybe trying to escape reality..

someone speaking from experience (or lack of intelligence)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Originally Posted by Kyle

someone speaking from experience (or lack of intelligence)
I wouldn't care to guess, but it sure seems pessimistic.
It can happen, once in awhile that someone is escaping something in their homeland, but it's such an insignificant percentage, that I would like to think that most people move here for a better life, but that's just me, eternally optimistic.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
and god forbid any gay people ask a simple question....not about the sex trade...not about "hooking up" etc. But then the usual clowns trash the poster and the thread is closed.

I've met some great people from this site...but it does seem that a few of the regulars controll the content here. Unless one is asking about the weather, driving directions, a specific resort, or sankies then the thread dies or is closed.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Unless one is asking about the weather, driving directions, a specific resort, or sankies then the thread dies or is closed.

Correct me if I am very wrong (and I am sure someone will) but I believed these forums are meant to be informative, useful and helpful to people asking and requiring knowledge about the DR and its culture and people plus opinions and experiences from those who are lucky enough to visit or live in this fascinating, beautiful country... am I mistaken?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
and god forbid any gay people ask a simple question....not about the sex trade...not about "hooking up" etc. But then the usual clowns trash the poster and the thread is closed.

You have to show me those. I believe that in most of the forums the moderators have .. uhm .. bent over backwards to ensure a good, level and fair playing field for any gay people. This is over the past three years at least. So, I think you're complaining about something in your imagination.

This is not a dating site. You wanna 'hook up', go to hookup dot com.

whirleybird, of course you're correct.

Generally, each time a thread such as this one appears, it somehow conjures up everyone that has an axe to grind with who-ever or what-ever.

I was not bored before this thread. Now, I am! Let me move on to something more constructive.

A

apostropheman

no, you are not mistaken and have summed things up beautifully! :bunny::bunny::bunny:
Correct me if I am very wrong (and I am sure someone will) but I believed these forums are meant to be informative, useful and helpful to people asking and requiring knowledge about the DR and its culture and people plus opinions and experiences from those who are lucky enough to visit or live in this fascinating, beautiful country... am I mistaken?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
uh..the posts i was referring to were not "hook up" questions. I have posted in the past my travel dates and that i was looking for gay friendly travelers....and have met some GREAT people! both gay and straight!

Sorry if narrow minded people can only think of gay being about sex. Sometimes people just want to meet open minded people when traveling

There are Gay owned hotels and buisnesses in the DR ya know (and not sex joints or discos). What is so offensive about asking about where to go and where to meet quality like minded folks?!?!? ITs ok to ask about the jewish community, or different ex-pat communities...why not let someone ask about the GLTB community? IF you dont want to read about it...dont read the thread!

I dont expect or want DR1 to become a hook-up joint. But i think a little bit more openess would be acceptable.

this site is cool...but it seems that more and more it has become censored to meet the specific interests of a few very opinionated people. God forbid you want to go to the south coast vs the north!

I guess we will just have to put up with more "guest fiendly hotel" and "sankie" posts. Always good for a laugh huh?

jeesh...ok..i will drop it NOW...but dang

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry if narrow minded people can only think of gay being about sex.
I have heard/seen similar statements several times on DR1 and I have a problem with it.
Everytime someone mentions wanting to meet gay people and they say it's not about sex, then what the heck is it about?
If I say I want to meet heterosexuals, what is that, if not about sex?
If a woman says she wants to meet lesbians. again, isn't that about sex?
If you're looking for transsexuals, is that not about sex?
If a person says he wants to meet tall people, it's not about sex.
Decent people, it's not about sex.
Happy people, again, not about sex, but when you qualify it with a sexual preference, how the hell can you or anyone deny that it's about sex.
That's pure BS to me.
Sorry if I seem harsh, but it's been bothering me for a long time.
Not that anyone wants to talk about sex or meet their sexual peers, but for bull****ting.
For being hypocrites.
Say what you mean, mean what you say and don't insult my or anyone's intelligence with lies.
If it there were no sexual implication, then why mention it?

Status
Not open for further replies.