Along the same line as Mr. Lu's post - another privilige lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Dominicans are the scum of the earth on beach behavior with their spaghetti and bread picnics on the beach and drinking from Brugal bottles they use to crack heads.

You know Golo, I have been a fan of yours for years. But it is comments like this one that sometimes put doubt on my mind on whether or not I should continue to support SOME of your views.

I am a Dominican from a very POOR barrio in Santiago. While growing up my family and I used to go to Sosua during break hauling pots and containers full of spaghetti, moro and bread because we couldn't afford to buy food at the beach. Oh and yes, my family also brought Brugal with them because this was what we could afford back then. And when they had extra money they bought the cheap Dunbar whisky that is no longer around.

To the point I am trying to make...I think it was Hillbilly who always preached on this site not to GENERALIZE because 1. not everyone is the same and 2. you don't know who is reading. When you say Dominicans that includes THE ENTIRE population, and me! Well let me tell you somethig Golo...my family NEVER threw garbage on the beach or left crap behind and those who did would get scolded by the elders. When we went to Sosua and saw others doing it we would tell them how wrong it was etc. And I remember as a little kid one of my uncles getting into a fight with someone over that. I am not trying to say my family was "perfect" for doing this but we always had that level of consciousness. Lead by example...;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Damn, the above is coming from the heart and speaks volumes. Kudos to you El Tigre you hit it out of the ballpark!!!!!!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
With respect, don't you think for an instant that beach front property owners will not exercise these newly minted 'rights' to deny citizens and everyone else access to the beaches. If this becomes law, enshrined in the DR Constitution, the party is over for those who do not have the pesos to pay private land owners for a 'priviledge' that is currently freely enjoyed.

It will be interesting to see how much this law will be enforced. Not so much in resort areas because restrictions are applied in those facilities already, but in private land owners areas.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
It will be interesting to see how much this law will be enforced. Not so much in resort areas because restrictions are applied in those facilities already, but in private land owners areas.

Quick question...have you been to playa dorada recently? The last time I was there (2 years ago) the beach wasn't restricted but you did have to pay for parking (150 pesos). I want to know if that is still the case.

I also remember walking to Playa Dorada from Bergantin beach. Never had an issue there either.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tigre, by Hillbillies definition and your own acceptance of that definition, the word generalize implies exceptions to the rule. The only reason you are offended by it is because of excessive patriotism. I am Dominican and I am not offended when other people say what is obvious. I stick to my opinion. If anyone else here disagrees fine. But our beaches are disaster areas when the huge Dominican crowds come. They just don't care. Yes you and I are the exception. But "generally" Dominicans behave that way. Otherwise, why are our streets so dirty. Why is it that some foreign tourists never return? Did you read what an association of hotels stated recently? They stated that the reason Playa Dorada Beach hotels are closing is not because infrastructure, or problems with the service itself. It is because the local crowds(Dominicans) invade the resort's clubs and surroundings for drinking binges that cause disturbances, fights and lawlessness when local clubs in Puerto Plata close early(because of government rules).
What was the problem one of our posters had with moving his family to Boca Chica and protecting his wife from Dominican whistleblowers?
Who brings stray dogs to our beaches? Who harasses tourists with their unwanted and sometimes dangerous merchandise(lambi, raw shrimp and oysters)on our beaches? Man, try not to be so "Dominican" for a change. Flag waving doesn't excuse this. You and I may not try to jump the lines at supermarkets and banks. But "generally", most Dominicans do. I see how employees on pay day give their cash cards and checks to others so they don't have to stand on line. I don't see that in more civilized societies. Have you not seen Dominicans(because I don't see others doing it) at a cash machines cashing in as many as ten cards from other employees while you pay your dues standing in line? Have you seen Dominican behaving at the lunch line in supermarket's delicatessens? I avoid them like the plague.
I just read a post you did not object about us capitale?os, Cibae?os and others that just discovered Bavaro and Punta Cana and act as if we have been there all the time. Well he "generalized". I spent part of my youth in the East coast and went to Punta Cana and Bavaro and the beaches were raw, unattended and full of algae and sea urchins then. I lived inside Central Romana in an American styled wooden house with mosquito screen and painted dark green like all the others. I got bitten by Caribbean black wasps that can only be seen there. But now the beaches are better thanks to the developers. I'm as Dominican as you are. But I say what I believe and what I can see with my own eyes. Carnival lines didn't stop coming to our ports because Dominican Republic is not a beautiful island. They stopped because our taxi drivers were rude, and just plain thieves. And people on tours just want to have fun, not be bothered with our local problems and "padres de familia". I make it a practice that I check before I go to a resort. If there's too many Dominicans I stay home. I want to share the beach with more civilized people. And Lambada , I love Guacanagarix. I rather be him than losers like Enriquillo and Caonabo. Except for a couple of streets nobody remembers or cares about rebellious indians who traded their gold for mirrors.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You know Golo, I have been a fan of yours for years. But it is comments like this one that sometimes put doubt on my mind on whether or not I should continue to support SOME of your views.

I am a Dominican from a very POOR barrio in Santiago. While growing up my family and I used to go to Sosua during break hauling pots and containers full of spaghetti, moro and bread because we couldn't afford to buy food at the beach. Oh and yes, my family also brought Brugal with them because this was what we could afford back then. And when they had extra money they bought the cheap Dunbar whisky that is no longer around.

To the point I am trying to make...I think it was Hillbilly who always preached on this site not to GENERALIZE because 1. not everyone is the same and 2. you don't know who is reading. When you say Dominicans that includes THE ENTIRE population, and me! Well let me tell you somethig Golo...my family NEVER threw garbage on the beach or left crap behind and those who did would get scolded by the elders. When we went to Sosua and saw others doing it we would tell them how wrong it was etc. And I remember as a little kid one of my uncles getting into a fight with someone over that. I am not trying to say my family was "perfect" for doing this but we always had that level of consciousness. Lead by example...;)

You know it wasn't too long ago (or maybe it was :) ) when thrash was a big problem in the US. I can still remember as a kid people throwing cans and whole bags of trash out there window of their car. It seemed this happened up until the 80's.

I think a big influence in the change was the evironmetal movement that educated people to the dangers of polution and one of my favorites, "the crying indian" commercial.

YouTube - The Crying Indian - full commercial - Keep America Beautiful

Just goes to show that people can change their ways and the DR is no different.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
In the UK, they have only now passed a law prohibiting the throwing of litter from cars. Now if you see someone doing this, you can report them!

Lin
:bunny:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Damn, the above is coming from the heart and speaks volumes. Kudos to you El Tigre you hit it out of the ballpark!!!!!!

Just adding my two cents as a conscious Dominican who loves his country :cheeky:

But you know what Hidalgo...what Mr. Lu says about many Dominicans not giving a rat's a$$ is sooooo true. Proof of this is when I talk about these issues amongst my DR friends here in NY and them not knowing ANYTHING about what I am referring to. My response to them is do you people live in a freaken bubble don't you read DR newspapers and keep up with the current events of the DR. What type of Dominicans are you? Then a sense of guilt dawns upon them saying...you are right I will read or watch more news etc.

If I was in the DR I'd probably be arrested or dead by now. I would be stirring things up in one way or the other. But that's just me.

There is a big PLD post on 163rd and Amsterdam. I'll keep a close eye on the media to see when the Lie-O-Nel (as he is called on other websites) will be in NY. Someone told me he makes a stop there when in town. If anyone has any insight let me know when he'll be here. I'll plan a peaceful protest in front of their offices. I'm taking volunteers as of right now. I've never done this and have no experience. I'll go through with it even if I'm the only one there.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Way to go!

I'll plan a peaceful protest in front of their offices. I'm taking volunteers as of right now. I've never done this and have no experience. I'll go through with it even if I'm the only one there.

Lin
:bunny:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You know it wasn't too long ago (or maybe it was :) ) when thrash was a big problem in the US. I can still remember as a kid people throwing cans and whole bags of trash out there window of their car. It seemed this happened up until the 80's.

I think a big influence in the change was the evironmetal movement that educated people to the dangers of polution and one of my favorites, "the crying indian" commercial.

YouTube - The Crying Indian - full commercial - Keep America Beautiful

Well, how and when

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Tigre, by Hillbillies definition and your own acceptance of that definition, the word generalize implies exceptions to the rule. The only reason you are offended by it is because of excessive patriotism. I am Dominican and I am not offended when other people say what is obvious. I stick to my opinion. If anyone else here disagrees fine. But our beaches are disaster areas when the huge Dominican crowds come. They just don't care. Yes you and I are the exception. But "generally" Dominicans behave that way. Otherwise, why are our streets so dirty. Why is it that some foreign tourists never return? Did you read what an association of hotels stated recently? They stated that the reason Playa Dorada Beach hotels are closing is not because infrastructure, or problems with the service itself. It is because the local crowds(Dominicans) invade the resort's clubs and surroundings for drinking binges that cause disturbances, fights and lawlessness when local clubs in Puerto Plata close early(because of government rules).
What was the problem one of our posters had with moving his family to Boca Chica and protecting his wife from Dominican whistleblowers?
Who brings stray dogs to our beaches? Who harasses tourists with their unwanted and sometimes dangerous merchandise(lambi, raw shrimp and oysters)on our beaches? Man, try not to be so "Dominican" for a change. Flag waving doesn't excuse this. You and I may not try to jump the lines at supermarkets and banks. But "generally", most Dominicans do. I see how employees on pay day give their cash cards and checks to others so they don't have to stand on line. I don't see that in more civilized societies. Have you not seen Dominicans(because I don't see others doing it) at a cash machines cashing in as many as ten cards from other employees while you pay your dues standing in line? Have you seen Dominican behaving at the lunch line in supermarket's delicatessens? I avoid them like the plague.
I just read a post you did not object about us capitale?os, Cibae?os and others that just discovered Bavaro and Punta Cana and act as if we have been there all the time. Well he "generalized". I spent part of my youth in the East coast and went to Punta Cana and Bavaro and the beaches were raw, unattended and full of algae and sea urchins then. I lived inside Central Romana in an American styled wooden house with mosquito screen and painted dark green like all the others. I got bitten by Caribbean black wasps that can only be seen there. But now the beaches are better thanks to the developers. I'm as Dominican as you are. But I say what I believe and what I can see with my own eyes. Carnival lines didn't stop coming to our ports because Dominican Republic is not a beautiful island. They stopped because our taxi drivers were rude, and just plain thieves. And people on tours just want to have fun, not be bothered with our local problems and "padres de familia". I make it a practice that I check before I go to a resort. If there's too many Dominicans I stay home. I want to share the beach with more civilized people. And Lambada , I love Guacanagarix. I rather be him than losers like Enriquillo and Caonabo. Except for a couple of streets nobody remembers or cares about rebellious indians who traded their gold for mirrors.

Ok...I understand Golo. I missed the one about the user generalizing about the capitalenos and cibaenos. And to that poster I say the same DO NOT GENERALIZE. Am I the only person that gets ticked off when people generalize? I know exactly what you are saying about the way our people behave and think. But it's up to us to lead by example and "try" to change people as hard as it can be.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
CHIP: ????? :>)

Reply:
Well, how and when

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CHIP: ????? :>)

Reply:
Well, how and when

How: When a group of Dominicans start add campaigns and press releases and shows discussing the importance of taking care of the environment.

When: Soon I hope.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Never happen......Not in our lifetime.

Don't be so sure. There is a substantial group of young, educated Dominicans who display the same enthusiasm and dedication as those youngsters in Iran and other countries, including the US who in large measure helped elect the 44th President of the United States. I believe these young folks can be motivated to make a difference in the Dominican Republic. I would not write them off as just fashion and disco junkies. All they need is guidance and support. Hopefully, this Constitutional 'reform' fiasco will provide the impetus for them to assert themselves in a positive way. Let's not give up hope just yet.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Don't be so sure. There is a substantial group of young, educated Dominicans who display the same enthusiasm and dedication as those youngsters in Iran and other countries, including the US who in large measure helped elect the 44th President of the United States. I believe these young folks can be motivated to make a difference in the Dominican Republic. I would not write them off as just fashion and disco junkies. All they need is guidance and support. Hopefully, this Constitutional 'reform' fiasco will provide the impetus for them to assert themselves in a positive way. Let's not give up hope just yet.

It's good to be positive. It helps, but if you keep your ear to the ground reality strikes in. I was with my cousins this weekend, and asked what they thought of the new reforms to the Constitution. One didn't even know and the other 6 either didn't care or didn't have an opinion. These aren't poor kids either. All from affluent families, with favorable positions and even some are part of the political families in the country.

Even some of my most well to do, educated and motivated Dominican friends are on either two sides of the line:

A) They love their country, but their focus isn't on the Constitution

or

B) "I'm leaving...."

And since they have the money to do so, they leave. It's the Brain Drain. Those who can do....they leave. Those who remain don't and they become the drones that propel this country into a steeper and further decline.

Mr. Lu

Reactions: cobraboy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Am I the only person that gets ticked off when people generalize?

No you are not, add me to your list. I will call gringos on it when they generalise in a way which puts Dominicans down and given as how I'm equal opportunity I will call Dominicans on it also. I spotted another one

Except for a couple of streets nobody remembers or cares about rebellious indians who traded their gold for mirrors.

How to remove in one fell swoop part of Dominican historical culture, the indigenista literary movement for example the work of Manuel de Jes?s Galv?n Enriquillo. Enriquillo fought against Spanish oppression and was successful in resisting the Spaniards for many years until eventually Charles V signed a treaty granting the Taino freedom in exchange for laying down their arms. If this isn't relevant to Dominicans resisting oppression by whomsoever, including their own political parties like right now over the Constitution, I don't know what is. But of course it is those inherited qualities which might also make the Dominican population resist a future dictator which Golo seemed to feel we ought to have............:cheeky:

And Mr. Lu, did you see DR1 News today? There are many who do not share your cousin's indifference.

Constitutional changes "an embarrassment"
Representatives from civic and business groups have joined together in their condemnation of the decisions taken by the National Revisory Assembly during the second reading of the new Constitution, because the legislators have "cut off" several individual and collective rights, implying a step backwards from the rule of law. Citizen watchdog group Citizen Participation, along with the Herrera Industrial Association, the Federation of Industrial Associations, the Commission for the Reform and Modernization of Justice, the Citizens Forum and the Justice and Transparency Foundation all shared this opinion. Citizen Participation describes the new Constitution as "illegitimate" because it eliminated ten existing citizen rights set out in the current Constitution.
The civic group said the illegitimacy is clearly demonstrated with the elimination of rights such as the right to have an honest and transparent public administration, "which reveals the perverse intent behind this decision. Behind the elimination of collective rights such as the adequate working of the market forces, and fair competition, the interest and rights of the consumer and of those who use public goods and services, the enjoyment of the assets in the public domain such as beaches and rivers among others, are hiding shameful, unspeakable intentions."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can someone confirm this please - I hear that tomorrow there will be a demonstration outside Congress against the privatisation of the beaches by youth protest group called "Toy Jarto". Dress code: swimwear!

Status
Not open for further replies.