Scotch & Sirloin Restaurant in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgar

Dec 25, 2009
price

Wow, it costs $100 US to eat at the Palm or Peter Lugar's - do they take credit cards in Sosua?

edgar

Dec 25, 2009
credit cards

Sorry, I meant to ask if the RESTAURANT in SOSUA accepts credit cards-it has alwaYS BEEN AMAZING TO ME THAT A RESORT TOWN LIKE SOUSA BASCIALLY DOES NOT ACCPET CREDIT CARDS EXCEPT FOR SOME TO THE PLACES ON THE OCEAN LIKE JOSEPHS, ETC. BUT ALMOST NO ONE IN THE TOWN DOES.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Not accepting credit cards is pretty common in the restaurants and shops (especially the smaller ones) here. Remember for the merchant accepting credit cards is one expensive, two requires fulll time electricity, three requires a dedicated phone (land line). Most places dont have #2 and #3.

BObK

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Sorry, I meant to ask if the RESTAURANT in SOSUA accepts credit cards-it has alwaYS BEEN AMAZING TO ME THAT A RESORT TOWN LIKE SOUSA BASCIALLY DOES NOT ACCPET CREDIT CARDS EXCEPT FOR SOME TO THE PLACES ON THE OCEAN LIKE JOSEPHS, ETC. BUT ALMOST NO ONE IN THE TOWN DOES.

No credit card? Well the answer is taxes.

According to market research done: Well my guess is nada. Really Sosua is attracting cheaper and cheaper tourists, and is really not moving forward. Seems like the majority flying Jet Blue for some bucks and get some cheap chicas. Prices, I think even in Cabarete they would have a problem. U want a good steak? Go to Los locos d?n frente in Cabarete. Even though they raised the prices it is still the best deal on the North Coast

Excellent review from SosuaJoe btw.

Anyone tried the Belgian owned newly opened restaurant in Sosua?

Reactions: mike l

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are talking about Simply Red restaurant, run by a Belgian, it is good food, with very reasonable prices. Try the steak with mushroom sauce.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Review

3 guys
ordered scotch at the bar, wine at dinner
3 different steaks
sloppy and unprofessional waiter (looked and dressed like the dishwasher)
2 out of 3 steaks prepared wrong
sent back and returned wrong
very rude response/service by the OWNER
the manager was gracious and didn't charge for the steak I did not eat
1st and last time for me
Buen Provecho Y Buena Suerte

ps
3 excellent steak dinners (delicious food, gracious service, very reasonable prices) at El Toro in the past 2 months

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Seems like every review of this place is similar. There are so many choices of places to eat in Sosua makes it a tough business. As a customer you have a huge variety of choices especially during the day and early evening.

People tend to try new places when they first open to see what the place is like. As an owner you need the first customers to get word out that the prices are reasonable, the food is great, and the service is great.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
sirloin restaurant

I had a great ribeye steak there cooked medium rare and my best meal in sosua for the 17 days i was there. the shrimp ceasar salad was below average I paid about 40 bucks with a couple drinks. The owners 2 brothers from miami tony and vince were good hosts and the staff was professional. i am unsure if the place will make it with those prices. the restroom is downstairs which is an inconvienence but you get to see a beautiful view of the pool and courtyard ...very impressive! i will return for 1 meal a trip as too expensive for my taste!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you can find el toro in the restaurant guide part of sosua news on their web site, locos are in cabarete so to speak lol

Reactions: rellosk

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My experience was similar to SosuaJoe's.

To summarize. We began at the bar drinking. Aside from not having any premium Single Malt Scotch (the name of the place is "Scotch & Sirloin"), the bar was great. When we sat at the table that's when things fell apart.

We had some questions about the menu that the waiter was unable to answer. He was giving strange answers to simple questions, so we asked to speak to another waiter or to the manager. After 2 attempts he finally brought over the "manager", who was not able to answer any of the questions we had. It turns out he was the bar manager and did not know anything about the menu. We shrugged our shoulders, ordered our meals.

When the meals came, the waiter was clueless as to who ordered what. We told him the cuts of meats we ordered, but that didn't seem to help him figure it out. We finally figured it out based on the sides we ordered. (Luckily the sides were actually on the plate on not on the side lol).

Two of three of the steaks were NOT cooked as ordered, which I thought was strange because of the precision they took to describe the characteristics in the menu.

The steak that was supposed to be well done, was rare. The steak that was supposed to be rare, was medium well. We sent the rare one back to be cooked more. Short of waiting for them to cook another, there was nothing that could be about the one that was overcooked.

After some time, they returned with the steak that we sent back for some additional cooking. Unfortunately, they did not appear to cook it anymore. It was as rare as when we had sent it back.

At this point we asked to speak to the kitchen manager or the owner. They brought over the owner. We explain the problem, and rather than apologize, he said, "It will be better next time". My friend said to the owner that he thought that was an insincere statement, and then the owner said. "What do you want me to do, suck your dick?".

With that kind of attitude, I doubt if the place will ever get it's act together.

Reactions: DavidZ

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
My experience was similar to SosuaJoe's.

To summarize. We began at the bar drinking. Aside from not having any premium Single Malt Scotch (the name of the place is "Scotch & Sirloin"), the bar was great. When we sat at the table that's when things fell apart.

We had some questions about the menu that the waiter was unable to answer. He was giving strange answers to simple questions, so we asked to speak to another waiter or to the manager. After 2 attempts he finally brought over the "manager", who was not able to answer any of the questions we had. It turns out he was the bar manager and did not know anything about the menu. We shrugged our shoulders, ordered our meals.

When the meals came, the waiter was clueless as to who ordered what. We told him the cuts of meats we ordered, but that didn't seem to help him figure it out. We finally figured it out based on the sides we ordered. (Luckily the sides were actually on the plate on not on the side lol).

Two of three of the steaks were NOT cooked as ordered, which I thought was strange because of the precision they took to describe the characteristics in the menu.

The steak that was supposed to be well done, was rare. The steak that was supposed to be rare, was medium well. We sent the rare one back to be cooked more. Short of waiting for them to cook another, there was nothing that could be about the one that was overcooked.

After some time, they returned with the steak that we sent back for some additional cooking. Unfortunately, they did not appear to cook it anymore. It was as rare as when we had sent it back.

At this point we asked to speak to the kitchen manager or the owner. They brought over the owner. We explain the problem, and rather than apologize, he said, "It will be better next time". My friend said to the owner that he thought that was an insincere statement, and then the owner said. "What do you want me to do, suck your dick?".

With that kind of attitude, I doubt if the place will ever get it's act together.

Did you guys actually eat the food? Did he offer to take the inedible items off the bill?

I dont know what the laws are in the DR but in the states we just tell them to take the food off the bill if its garbage and pay for our drinks and go someplace else.

Definitely sounds like this place wont be open long.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Did you guys actually eat the food? Did he offer to take the inedible items off the bill?

I dont know what the laws are in the DR but in the states we just tell them to take the food off the bill if its garbage and pay for our drinks and go someplace else.

Definitely sounds like this place wont be open long.
After his "suck my dick" comment, my friend flipped out. My other friend was casually eating his meal, enjoying the show.

After things calmed down, I ate my cold and overcooked steak. In the end, he charged us for 1 meal plus the appetizers plus the drinks.

I've been told that the owners are very wealthy. My guess is they probably don't care if the restaurant makes money or not. They also own the adjacent hotel.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Marketing

"It will be better next time". My friend said to the owner that he thought that was an insincere statement, and then the owner said. "What do you want me to do, suck your dick?".

Perhaps they should make it one stop shopping & change the name of this establishment to Crotch & Sirloin?

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
wow.....i wish i were there for the show! i heard the owners sold a supermarket for about 5 million in miami so $$ is no prob as of now for them...don't see how the restaurant will last with the prices and such a large staff. does anyone have info on the hotel rooms...prices and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.