Banker Trust- sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
#1 Lesson learned on DR1

You can't bullsh*t a bullsh*ter. Somebody is always watching.

Back to my original question, if and when this investment fund goes belly up, how are your safety deposit box holders ever going to retrieve their property?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not sure I understand you..
Nor I of you.

I am mentioning a fund which will not entertain investments from US citizens.
I am not referring to Bankers Trust..

Who cares, it is Bankers Trust we are talking about.

I suspect the non-US citizen fund is not interested in shouldering the admin costs of complying with US govt's scrutiny of multiple reports , etc.
This non-US citizen came to me through PriceWaterhouseCooper.
It is not a fly-by-night outfit.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Seachange stated the fund was US registered. He also made the blanket statement that the fund is non-taxable in US. If he was talking solely about the fund and not the investor, he was being very misleading. He should have quit this thread while he still had a bit of legitamacy intact.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Your reading is correct.

E8 ALPHA LLC
NFA ID: 0431854
5143 SW 71ST PLACE
MIAMI, FL 33155
UNITED STATES
1-809-2406286

Why would US investors not be subject to Federal tax?
I am a little confused here.
Any CTA I ever invested with gave me a K-1 @ the end of the year which is reported to the IRS.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The company is not taxable by the US -- the individual investor is.

Thats my understanding

Are you an investor in E8 Alpha or work for them?
Just curious why you are so loyal to these people with questionable intentions?
Why would the fund be tax exempt, they are domicilied in Florida?
Seachange changed his pitch when he realized we were paying attention.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, no... I 'm not loyal to them.
I have no interest or investment in them.

I simply understand the situation to be such that this vehicle is US tax exempt.
That exemption will not apply to any US investor.

I made another point that i knew of a fund that will not accept any investment from US citizens.
I am an invesotr in that fund.
It, too is not subject to US taxation. It is European based.

As to the Miami domocile ... curious that carries an 809 area code.... dontcha think??

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
No, no... I 'm not loyal to them.
I have no interest or investment in them.

I simply understand the situation to be such that this vehicle is US tax exempt.
That exemption will not apply to any US investor.

I made another point that i knew of a fund that will not accept any investment from US citizens.
I am an invesotr in that fund.
It, too is not subject to US taxation. It is European based.

As to the Miami domocile ... curious that carries an 809 area code.... dontcha think??
So we finally agree, you have no experience with this fund, these people, or know WTF you are talking about. You want to shill for another investment company? I have a company that is offering shares for a new bridge connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn. The company even has an 809 number.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats not a circle !!??

Forgive me, but Americans have difficulty with the offshore concept, probably because it isn't permited to them.

You need to distinguish between a corporate entity and an individual.

This corporate entity under discussion claims to be US tax exempt.
That exemption has nothing to do with and doesn't apply to persons who invest in that corporate entity.
The investors are taxable based on their own status.

This is business 101 stuff - not sophisticated at all.

It seems that it all got jumbled at the start when somebody misunderstood the differentiation between the corporate vehicle and the investor.

Its been derailed ever since

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am a US citizen, and the fund is domiciled in Florida, you my friend are the one that derailed the thread.
BTW, I have been an investor in several Hedge Funds based both in The USA, as well as Offshore, and understand CTA/Hedge Fund taxation. You obviously have an alterior motive here, as demonstrated by your rants here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm sorry.... no ulterior motive.

Big misunderstanding.

I read the thread, saw misinterpretation and confusion and thought I could help clarify.

Nope, I couldn't.

No more on this from me - going to the movies.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I find your response to my original question:
Back to my original question, if and when this investment fund goes belly up, how are your safety deposit box holders ever going to retrieve their property?
Your answer that I should file a homeowner's insurance claim, I find to be a bit perplexing. Maybe your investors and box renters should hold on to your passports, just in case.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
I'm not sure I understand you.

I am mentioning a fund which will not entertain investments from US citizens.
I am not referring to Bankers Trust.

I suspect the non-US citizen fund is not interested in shouldering the admin costs of complying with US govt's scrutiny of multiple reports , etc.
This non-US citizen came to me through PriceWaterhouseCooper.
It is not a fly-by-night outfit.

Managed Futures Surpasses All Other Hedge Fund Investment
Strategies in Assets Under Management During Second Quarter of 2010

"Rise in Managed Futures Assets Reflects Growing Investor Preference for Transparency, Liquidity and Lower Volatility"

FAIRFIELD, IA ? October 5, 2010 ? BarclayHedge, Ltd., one of the oldest and most respected global providers of alternative investment data and services, today announced that managed futures has, for the first time since BarclayHedge began tracking hedge fund performance data in 1985, surpassed all other investment strategies, based on assets under management. At the end of the 2nd Quarter 2010, managed futures accounted for $223.4 billion of the total $1.78 trillion invested in all types of hedge fund strategies; followed by Event-Driven strategies ($222.4) and Emerging Markets strategies ($190.3 billion). [See chart below.]

According to Sol Waksman, founder and President of BarclayHedge, ?In recent periods of prolonged stock market decline, managed futures have performed well. In 2008, for example, the negative correlation between equities and managed futures was dramatic: the S&P 500 dropped 37% while the Barclay CTA Index ? which measures managed futures performance ? improved nearly 15%. However, the current growth in managed futures assets has been largely unrelated to stock market correlation or to recent commodity prices, and has been more closely aligned with changing sentiment among sophisticated investors, who are now seeking transparency, liquidity and lower downside volatility within their portfolios.?

Waksman believes the recent growth in managed futures assets is directly related to the underlying characteristics of the asset class, which match up well with current investor sentiment. Waksman notes that futures are exchange-traded, with total transparency and positions marked-to-market daily. Further, even the largest fund managers can readily liquidate their holdings, which means Managed Futures Top Hedge Fund Rankings / Add One investors are not restricted from immediate redemptions. In terms of downside volatility, the Barclay CTA Index?s worst peak-to-valley decline since 1980 was 15.66%, compared with 50.95% for the S&P 500, 49.30% for the Dow Jones Industrials, and 67.65% for the S&P GSCI Commodity Index during that same time period.

?In 2008, investors used managed futures accounts like an ATM machine, taking redemptions that totaled more than $35 billion to meet their liquidity demands. That lesson in the value of liquidity has not been forgotten as investors are now, in 2010, putting assets back into managed futures funds, despite the recent lackluster performance of most Commodity Trading Advisors. In the current flight to safety, and as the asset flow suggests, many investors are including managed futures as part of their core strategy,? Waksman said.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
On second thought, before I'd invest 2 cents, in addition to your passport, you'd need to wear a GPS bracelet.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
If you are a US citizen it sure as hell is. Are you advising your clients to fail to report it (a felony) and just not pay? Tell that to the 17,000 UBS, HSBC and Credit Suisse clients who are the focus of tax fraud investigations for failing to report.

Seachange actually stated the "fund" is not subject to US taxation. Each individual has to deal with their own taxes separately based on their citizenship and tax position. I believe read too much into his words...

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Seachange actually stated the "fund" is not subject to US taxation. ...
Lets say he was referring to the fund and not the investors (which I don't believe). Then he is telling me a fund, registered in Florida, is doing business and not paying any US taxes on it's profits or gains? The reason he tells people it is untaxable to US investors is because he thinks they can hide their assets and get away with it. There are many who invested in Swiss banks who regret they ever got involved in hiding assets and profits. One line by line audit by the IRS is enough to even cure Bernie Madoff. To also claim that your manager has maintained a 67% annual net return to clients for the past 5 years to good to be true. I'd like to see some proof. Please name the funds.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A single product is offered at this time which is based on the portfolio managers past record of trading the S&P 500 futures since 2003. For the last 5 years he has delivered an average annual gain of +67% net to clients after all costs and fees.

Can you provide me with a link that shows a 67% return, as most CTA's are audited, this is quite impressive. The S&P has performed as follows:
2010 14.32
2009 27.11
2008 -37.22
2007 5.46
2006 15.74
2005 4.79
2004 10.82
2003 28.72

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lets say he was referring to the fund and not the investors (which I don't believe). Then he is telling me a fund, registered in Florida, is doing business and not paying any US taxes on it's profits or gains? The reason he tells people it is untaxable to US investors is because he thinks they can hide their assets and get away with it. There are many who invested in Swiss banks who regret they ever got involved in hiding assets and profits. One line by line audit by the IRS is enough to even cure Bernie Madoff. To also claim that your manager has maintained a 67% annual net return to clients for the past 5 years to good to be true. I'd like to see some proof. Please name the funds.

Sorry, I can't control myself

These people did not invest in Swiss banks.

They simlpy deposited in Swiss banks.\
Did they get ownership for this "investment".... NO !!
They just placed their money there

Yes, you are right, they did so to avoid taxation.

Thats their problem.
The Swiss bank wasn't wrong, the depositors were.
The Swiss bank is not responsible for its clients irresponsible actions.

That publication of foreign depositors was overturned by the Swiss courts.

No matter, Swiss banks cater to a worldwide client base.

They should deny Americans access to their service - as my fund does !!
No Americans allowed !!

Too many problems with the US tax system.

As a Canadian living part time in the USA, I see this all the time and i try to restrain myself but Americans always feel their system is better.

It just ain't true.

That perceived arrogance can and might bite back

Americans seeking tax havens is a dream

Better to chase a fart in a tornado

If some consider this statement circular ... so be it.
You should now be looking at your rectum.

It should read "Do Not Enter"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.