Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Taylor View Post
    No, this should be taught in the homes. Parents and grandparents need to raise their children, and not just in the DR. .
    I think we've had this discussion before. Teaching it in the homes is where it SHOULD start. But how do you propose to kick that off?

A nationwide campaign of awareness aimed at 3 y.o.'s and up, and their parents, would work. Eventually it would become second nature. The "Dont Be A Litterbug" campaign in the 50's/60's in the US was deployed at the beginning stages of a littering habit. After WWII, people were putting 2.5 cars in every driveway, driving everywhere, cross country, and starting to just toss their trash. The Dont Be A Litter Bug Scare put an end to it.

But the DR is in much worse shape, it is an epidemic here. They (many) think nothing of tossing trash because it will eventually just wash into the sea. Easy Peasy, it just disappears. They need an intense campaign to turn it around.

And by the way, The US LitterBug Campaign was a form of brainwashing. I'm still traumatized.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    I think we've had this discussion before.
    yep. merged with recent thread on the subject, carry on.

3. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    I'm still traumatized.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm convinced Dominicans prefer to destroy their environment. They think nothing of tossing out a truck full of their domestic garbage in wooded areas or plastic and glass bottles where ever they finish with them.

They must love rats and roaches that feed off this garbage and the unsightliness of the countryside.

You want to know what will kill tourism in areas not controlled like AIs - it's the garbage. No one from 1st world countries wants to visit an eco-tourist destination for this.

They will choose more environmentally aware countries like Costa Rica and Colombia, or Hawaii.

I'm ashamed to have my friends come for a visit - they would be appalled.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    I'm convinced Dominicans prefer to destroy their environment. They think nothing of tossing out a truck full of their domestic garbage in wooded areas or plastic and glass bottles where ever they finish with them.

They must love rats and roaches that feed off this garbage and the unsightliness of the countryside.

You want to know what will kill tourism in areas not controlled like AIs - it's the garbage. No one from 1st world countries wants to visit an eco-tourist destination for this.

They will choose more environmentally aware countries like Costa Rica and Colombia, or Hawaii.

I'm ashamed to have my friends come for a visit - they would be appalled.
    the planes fly both ways, chico bill.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    I really hope this will be enforced, but I'm not counting on it. Millions can be made in fines.

On another note in regards to garbage. I was just at playero getting some eggs and most of Endy's eggs are now in Styrofoam containers instead of the grey cardboard. Another step backwards. As the worlds is trying to banish all Styrofoam, this country produces more.
    Endy's has used styrofoam as long as I can remember for the half dozen and dozen egg option.

They use the cardboard for the 20 egg and 30 egg option.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that enrages me is when I see people deliberately throwing rubbish out of their vehicles.

I have a dash cam and our numbers are growing. Wouldn't it be great if we could use that footage to help prosecute the offenders anonymously? Never gonna happen with the state of current Dominican legislation.

Would be a step in the right direction though. If the law won't help, perhaps social media can, by naming and shaming these people.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes cobraboy, Garyexpat, Drak liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
    I have done that in Santiago, caught a guy throwing out a bag of food garbage, and told the story here on DR1.

It happened in front of the Subway on Estrella Sadhala...
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

12. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

littering is definitely as popular as baseball, its a sport. Any empty or vacant lot, abandon building is a trash dumping zone.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast