16 May 2008 Election Day reports

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
mariaobetsanov it kills me to read that, but it is so true, and the officials won't do anything, and neither will the officers in charge.
We the people are the only one that can change the system, and until we become educated enough to know that 1000-2000 pesos isn't worth our pride and dignity this will continue happening.
It saddens me since voting is an important part of the democratic process, which in our country has become a joke because of bullies who can't accept defeat, or a smaller percentage of votes.
They are abusing of the poor, it's sad.
I just hope that whoever wins the election will keep the poor in mind.
With all that being said, I do oppose the PLD and am hoping for a second round victory by Miguel, and the PRD.

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Thanks for the link.
The incident involving the gun, and scuffle happened earlier this morning.

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Call me bias, naive, or what not but I have never heard of or seen el PRD buying cedulas.
Like I said call me what you want, but to me it's always been the PLD the one's to buy cedulas, and committing fraud to win elections.
Anyway, below is a link to radio stations in the Dominican Republic that can be heard over the Internet.
Dominican Republic Radio Stations Live - Listen Online
I'm currently listening to Z 101 FM.
Voting has finally finished
Now the waiting game :)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Call me bias, naive, or what not but I have never heard of or seen el PRD buying cedulas.
Like I said call me what you want, but to me it's always been the PLD the one's to buy cedulas, and committing fraud to win elections.
Anyway, below is a link to radio stations in the Dominican Republic that can be heard over the Internet.
Dominican Republic Radio Stations Live - Listen Online
I'm currently listening to Z 101 FM.
Voting has finally finished
Now the waiting game :)

Not only does the PRD do the exact same thing, but they went a step further and tried to steal the 2004 election outright.

RHM

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Explain yourself please, in regards to the 2004 election.
To my understanding Hipolito Mejia lost, and acknowledge that, didn't protest or anything.
Then again, I may not know much, so please explain.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Explain yourself please, in regards to the 2004 election.
To my understanding Hipolito Mejia lost, and acknowledge that, didn't protest or anything.
Then again, I may not know much, so please explain.

I'll PM you when I get a chance. In the meantime, do a search. I'm sure there are threads about 2004. I don't want to get off topic. :)

RHM

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Just something to look at

It makes me happy since it's the first and possibly the only place where the PRD is ahead, though it's based on a poll with less than 100 participants.
quien va a ganar las elecciones en republica dominicana a) MIGUEL VARGAS MALDONADO B) LEONEL FERNANDEZ c) AMABLE ARISTI CASTROS C) OTROS

Back to your point, and I won't get off topic anymore, but if you make a claim you need to have some facts to back them up.
Anyone can make accusations.
Fernandez had 57% of the vote, w/ Hipolito ending with 33% of the votes.
Where there do you see someone trying to run away with the election?
If you are talking about the fact that he changed the constitution to be able to run again then ok, but I don't think that's trying to steal the election.

Hipólito Mejía - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Note: Never use Wiki as a reference.

Back to politics, Guillermo Moreno for President. That's the real candidate of change. Anyone that can vote and REALLY!! wants change will vote for Moreno. But this isn't a Utopia. I sucks that he will never win. He's not perfect, but he's another option. I just hope he gets enough votes to make a statement and get some recognition.

Last edited:

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
My points were stated in the Wiki page, I could have found them anywhere because they are true, at least the points that I was trying to make.
I am related to Hipolito Mejia, and I will not defend his wrongdoing, but I was just making a point, and trying to find out what he really meant by his claims.
I'll always use Wiki as reference, "I mean having a bunch of people edit a web site is best way to get accurate information." :) j/k.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Efe

:chinese:Though it is illegal, and unconstitutional to do so, "someone" has made some claims...
The Associated Press: Polls show Dominican president leads election

EFE is also claiming that Fernandez will win with 56% of the vote. Just saw this on he news.

And just for general reference. The guy who I buy my Chimis from "said" he sold his cedula to the PRD for RD$600, so he said he would stay home today and get drunk. They all buy votes. It's ingrained in the political machinery here.

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Question: Where do you buy your chimis at? :)
The best I've tasted have been in Los Rios, Santo Domingo.
What station did he see that on?
In the coming hours it will be a roller coaster...
And I'm still optimistic that PLD will not win.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
um...

My points were stated in the Wiki page, I could have found them anywhere because they are true, at least the points that I was trying to make.
I am related to Hipolito Mejia, and I will not defend his wrongdoing, but I was just making a point, and trying to find out what he really meant by his claims.
I'll always use Wiki as reference, "I mean having a bunch of people edit a web site is best way to get accurate information." :) j/k.

Wasn't trying to knock you or your opinion. Believe what you want to believe. But truth of the matter, from an academic point of view, if you want people to see where you are coming from you need legit references. It's just a way to guarantee that the info is neutral and in good standing.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
um

Question: Where do you buy your chimis at? :)
The best I've tasted have been in Los Rios, Santo Domingo.
What station did he see that on?
In the coming hours it will be a roller coaster...
And I'm still optimistic that PLD will not win.

You ever been to the Chimi stand in Gazcue right next to Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo. It's called El Pequeno. I've been to Los Rios but never ate a Chimi out there.

The station was channel 15/5, but the guy did preface his statement by saying that the only results that count are those of the JCE.

And I agree. I am home and not leaving until Sunday. Im not scared, but I just want to risk it. The fanaticism displayed in previous days and elections is enough for concern.

Mr. Lu

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
I understand, but I wasn't stating my beliefs, just pure facts, which is now written in the constitution.
Now, I only asked the person who made the accusation (which is no longer important) if he was talking about that, in regards to his statement that the PRD tried to steal the election in 2004.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Note: Never use Wiki as a reference.

Back to politics, Guillermo Moreno for President. That's the real candidate of change. Anyone that can vote and REALLY!! wants change will vote for Moreno. But this isn't a Utopia. I sucks that he will never win. He's not perfect, but he's another option. I just hope he gets enough votes to make a statement and get some recognition.

Well said my friend. Of course he will not win, but I hope he gets enough votes to motivate him to run again in the next election. This is a real candidate. Everyone else is more of the same corruption and lies.

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
No Mr.Lu, never tasted those Chimis.
The one in Los Rios is near a Car Wash, and I hope the guy is still there when I return.
This is very nerve wrecking, and as for you if you feel that way I would stay in doors also, not worth getting hurt for being a bystander.