16 May 2008 Election Day reports

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
UPDATE:

The PRD is holding an "emergency press conference." They are protesting the elections. Neney Cabrera is saying that the JCE is breaking the electoral rules. They say that channels 13 and 27 are updating and announcing the results ahead of time (explaining that channel 13 and 27 are governmnet "owned")

He is claiming that Roberto Rosario (JCE Judge) has agreed to this and the PRD is now heading to the JCE with its Alta Commission to argue this.

Fello also speaks and says that they've spoken to Rosario. Though this is only happening in Santo Domingo.

The roller coaster continues....

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
:bored:Mr.Lu, thanks for the update.
I appreciate it.
I'm listening to la emisora, and they are saying the same thing.
What exactly does this mean though?
If it means anything at all.
Thaks

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This doesn't mean much aside from the fact that they are setting the stage for complaints. They can use this later to say that the elections are illegal etc. The complaint is more just like something to unite the troops. No real electoral law was broken. It's not like the JCE threw out votes. I don't think its anything though I could be wrong.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Exit polls reflect a win in the first round to Leonel; the rest will be history soon after...

PRD is going the way of the PRSC... It served the role it needed to in a given span of the history of the DR...

Could this mean that the DR will embark into a new political era, with new political affiliations taking over where the old school is not serving the young masses anymore?

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1638429020080516

http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2004/05/040517_fernandez-win.shtml

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2008/05/16/5589526-ap.html

Last edited:

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Mr.Lu, it is actually breaking an electoral law to give unoffcial results.
Pardon my misspelling, and improper grammar as I'm at work, listening to the radio, listening to people, and talking on the phone (i'm making excuses just in case i make a blip later on).

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Neney Cabrera, Peggy Cabrera, Fello, Alfredo Pacheco and the rest of the PRD slugs have arrived at the JCE ready to make their claims and stir ish up...Who needs the Sopranos?

G. Moreno Presidente....

Mr. Lu

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I just had to bring Hipolito's loss to Fernandez back then, as both final results will look like one and the same... Don't they sound almost like today's elections???

Hipolito's is the one news link in the middle atop... LOL!!!

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Above all, my country is above any governemt, political party, person...
I hope that this doesn't disturb the peace more than it already has, God willing.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
yes, but

Mr.Lu, it is actually breaking an electoral law to give unoffcial results.
Pardon my misspelling, and improper grammar as I'm at work, listening to the radio, listening to people, and talking on the phone (i'm making excuses just in case i make a blip later on).

It was the JCE itself that was releasing its own results. I have it understood that the "illegality" was based on a pact and not on actual law. Though I'd have to see electoral law. The reason this doesn't is because in previous years they released the boletines whenever they wanted. This is just to cause a stir.

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Mr.Lu, they are running something on TV.
Translate it so I can fully understand if you can :)

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
I cast my vote for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm back reporting live, this is the first time i vote in the Dominican Republic since i hold dual citizenship AMERICAN and DOMINICAN............................

I went to cast my vote this morning around 10:30 am everything went super smooth way better than the last time i voted in Miami, it was great however outside my voting college (INSTITUTO DE AYUDA AL SORDO MUDO, EL MILLON) there were no less than 20 or 30 PRD militants talking about politics and blah blah knowing today you CAN'T promote politics by law, ok then i had to take my wife to her voting college (ESCUELA PUBLICA QUISQUELLA, between ensanche quisquella and el millon) and there were double the amount of PRD militants doing the same crap!, Dominicans voted massively from what i saw people were enthusiastic to cast their vote........ one thing there were more women voting than men why......... i guess they were drinking their Presidentes rather than voting for one lol!.

I hope LEONEL WINS I do not want to see the PRD running this country they do not know how to lead! period they are a bunch of disrespectful crooks, not a chance!.

FELIX ERICKXSON

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
Thanks for your opinion ERICKXSON
BTW there are more woman registered to vote than there are man in the Dominican Republic, that's probably why you saw more of la mujeres.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
JCE President Julio Cesar Castanos Guzman is saying that from the 13,025 electoral colleges they have the results 1,325? of the results and he is saying that the scanners, which were causing some issues, have worked fine. He is asking for calm and is asking the Electoral College presidents to keep calm. He says that once they have a substantial amount of results they will release them.

As for the PRD claims he says they will be dealt with and says that no "official" bolletines have been released.

I will keep writing as info becomes available.

cdiaz18

May 16, 2008
I appreciate it greatly Mr.Lu
I wish I was overthere right now, but I'm not, your unofficial reporting has been great.
So 10% only huh?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Castanos is now asking for the press to calm down. He says to give the JCE time. As for "exit polls" he says that they have nothing to do with the JCE and are not valid. He has given no time for the first boletin, but it wont be at 9. The journalists are arguing about non issues trying to get a "scoop" that doesn't exist.

Typical Dominican journalism. The journalism here is horrible.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
no worries

I appreciate it greatly Mr.Lu
I wish I was overthere right now, but I'm not, your unofficial reporting has been great.
So 10% only huh?

Yeah 10%, maybe more or maybe less. But from what I am seeing is that the JCE is doing a good job of getting ish done. Meaning that either they are doing a good job or that they are doing a good job of hiding their failues.