2023 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Very unusual turn, saw it last night on the weather models. I do not even think the meteorologists believed it would take a turn like this based on what they were saying.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hurricane David took exactly the same route in 1979 but that was CAT5
Nah, look at the track of David. David had pretty much a northwest track and deviated to the right as it passed the DR.

Franklin is supposedly going to take a hard right into the island from its current path and almost make a u-turn.
trop-hispanola-david1979.jpg

Reactions: keepcoming

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I thought 2 days ago you said we are in the clear?

This is why you don't try to sell an image. Neither you nor I are a meteorologist. We look at the same info that is out there for all to see. Not belittling you, but some here think you are in fact a meteorologist...that is simply not the case. Let's be honest.

Come on Mike, was this post necessary???? ☹️☹️☹️

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Again, it is a bit way off, things change. As we sit here still waiting for Hurricane Hillary, off topic sorry. Not to diminish anyone who has been affected. Just that weather is unpredictable. Lol... JD, "a hard right"... Reminds me of driving with someone..."make a hard right".

• Haha

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004

This is why you don't try to sell an image. Neither you nor I are a meteorologist. We look at the same info that is out there for all to see. Not belittling you, but some here think you are in fact a meteorologist...that is simply not the case. Let's be honest.
Seriously?.. MikeFisher has never tried to sell us anything, nor that I'm aware of has he ever claimed to be a meteorologist, every year he spends a vast amount of his personal time to keep us informed about approaching storm activity and does a damn good job, has done for years. None of the models/forecasters yesterday nor Friday predicted this depression to take a hard right turn and cross Hispaniola on Tuesday as a named Storm.

It's easy, If you don't appreciate his knowledge or find his input valuable ignore the thread and let the rest of us benefit from it..

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Oh just stop. A lot of us on here love Mike's weather forecasts and I, for one, won't just sit back and watch someone making bitchy comments. I think most of us with a brain cell understand that nobody can predict the weather with 100% accuracy but in my experience Mike is usually spot on.

drisforme

May 28, 2016

Mike specified a time period : weekend . Harsh based on my 7 years of experience in DR and reading Mike`s comments on the many weather disturbances that we have had. I actually read Mike`s comment as a weather expert to our beautiful island . I have seeing so many wrong forecast coming from the US and even from the nationale hurricane center web-site ...Incorrect path as an example.

Stay safe .

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Sadly nothing new this morning about Franklin.
It is running the same powers, at least no intensification, but still i can't believe that this thing is standing the high wind shear over the Caribbean Sea.
It is on same wind force and wandering the same straight West direct as last evening,
expected to do that sharp turn towards the N and even NNE Tonight to approach our SW and wander N/NNE cross country towards around Puerto Plata.
Yes, a strange outlook, not something that's been seen too often here.
Until now it would be a TS wandering E-W through the Caribbean Sea, bringing maybe some rain to us, or maybe not, nothing of concern for DR aside of a couple days without Saona Island Excursions.
Maybe the sharp turn is due the constellation of a surface Low off the Southamerican Coast together with the unusual High Pressure Ridge to our W over the Golf of Mexico and reaching up NE from there, building like a barrier, so the Storm turns and moves parallel to those areas in that strange direction after a very strange Turn.
But I don't know, I did not see any such direction change coming and now it would be useless to spend time on looking for old weather charts from the last days.
As I just recently put my 3rd solar system part on the Grid, I have 2 solar panel racks still not secured for heavy winds/weather, so that will be the priority duty this morning today, to screw everything down tight on the racks, before driving to PC Village for my usual early week )Mo or Tue) necessary banking routines.
Authorities will have a heck of a job to do (Mission Impossible) to bring everybody on that Path and living at a flooding vulnerable point, out and to a safe area.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I’m hoping for my flight out of SDQ at 1 pm on Wednesday
Looks possible at this point

I wish the storm would speed up a bit

I need to get from Nagua area to SDQ

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I’m hoping for my flight out of SDQ at 1 pm on Wednesday
Looks possible at this point

I wish the storm would speed up a bit

I need to get from Nagua area to SDQ
By the actually shown time line a flight from the Capital for wednesday afternoon should not have troubles going out.
but that exact time line has to be seen once it really turned in one piece.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
The storm looks like to make landfill right off of Azua on Wednesday with max of 55-65mph winds but tons, tons of rain. DR surely needs this but flooding will be a big problem.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The storm looks like to make landfill right off of Azua on Wednesday with max of 55-65mph winds but tons, tons of rain. DR surely needs this but flooding will be a big problem.

Too close for comfort for us. I pray it lands further west. David devastated us in 79.

Status
Not open for further replies.