49 Dengue Deaths in 2015-Government Implements Plan

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I lived through it but at times death appeared a far nicer prospect than continuing. But I had no idea so many actually died from it. I was under the impression a few geriatrics might pop off each year, but 49, that is a lot for a lottery virus. isn't it?

I agree but if you start hemorraging then you have to get quick treatment and for the last month I thought I had only a very bad dose of la gripe ..appalling cramps, temperatures and muscle and back pain..treated my self with huge amounts of water and electrolytes and a small amount of rest . This follows up from chikungunya several years ago that lasted almost a year .Am now told I had dengue ,,but am back to normal . I know quite a few peole who have had dengue and most have not been hospitalised ..the main difference in a hospital is that you are given a drip with electrolytes and are kept quiet .
There is not a vaccine for it ...it is really a lottery and the odds are against people who live a lot outside as I do .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
someone above mentioned the breeding grounds.
as opposed to the typical breeding grounds for the Malaria Mozzies,
the Mosquitos carrying Dengue and Chicungunya, love it Clean.
they are not the typical dirt water/smelly Lagoon breeders,
completely the opposite, they breed preferably in clean water, less in a fouly pond in the jungle.
hence Dengue is not defined to poor barrios and jungle surrounded countryside,
it is present on all levels and you can catch it in the best and most hygienic 'hoods.

Mike

Exactly ..I am sure I caught mine on a golf course.. I remarked to my friends that you could see many mosquitos in the higher grass in the rough ..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree but if you start hemorraging then you have to get quick treatment and for the last month I thought I had only a very bad dose of la gripe ..appalling cramps, temperatures and muscle and back pain..treated my self with huge amounts of water and electrolytes and a small amount of rest . This follows up from chikungunya several years ago that lasted almost a year .Am now told I had dengue ,,but am back to normal . I know quite a few peole who have had dengue and most have not been hospitalised ..the main difference in a hospital is that you are given a drip with electrolytes and are kept quiet .
There is not a vaccine for it ...it is really a lottery and the odds are against people who live a lot outside as I do .

the 1st dengue 'visit' is mild, as you describe

My 'Hem' dengue was 104.5F to start.... you know you're sick... bad sick
Cooled off to 101.5 for days - too long

Head pain like you'll die......... and you can

Exactly ..I am sure I caught mine on a golf course.. I remarked to my friends that you could see many mosquitos in the higher grass in the rough ..

Aim for the fairway... and buy a new driver

I am a golf coach.... and a dengue survivor---- x2

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Are you telling me that I can get this dengue for a second time... I have just recovered from my first . . ?? If so I will have to be doubly careful with skin protection.. .

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Are you telling me that I can get this dengue for a second time... I have just recovered from my first . . ?? If so I will have to be doubly careful with skin protection.. .

if i am not mistaken it is not just foir a 2nd time,
it is 4 different "Dengues" which you can get each Once in life.
not the same one twice,
but you can get the "next stage" of the game up to the worst, #4, which is the one that ends also deadly for some.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Right now there are 40 dengue patients at Robert Reid Cabral Hospital in SD. Three are gravely ill.

[computer translated]

ALARM
Increase 40 patients with dengue in the Robert Reid, three seriously

Bethania Apolinar
Santo Domingo
In the hospital Robert Reid Cabral has been entered 40 patients with dengue, three of them in critical condition and the rest with warning signs.

This was announced by Dr. Jos? Miguel Ferreras, center director, who explained that it is much higher admitted they have had in recent days, the average was about 35 to 36 patients.

He said that only yesterday were hospitalized Thursday 16 new cases of dengue, without having reported deaths from the disease in recent days.

Said that despite the high demand that keeps the heart in patients with probable diagnosis of dengue, have enough medical staff and the number of beds to provide care.

Ferreras parents called Pay attention to the disease and when the fever back to take the child to hospital, because after three or four days is coming danger.

He said that besides the Robert Reid Cabral dengue is registering a high number of patients with infections of respiratory tract, although it is viral processes that are managed on an outpatient basis.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...con-dengue-en-el-robert-reid-tres-de-gravedad

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if i am not mistaken it is not just foir a 2nd time,
it is 4 different "Dengues" which you can get each Once in life.
not the same one twice,
but you can get the "next stage" of the game up to the worst, #4, which is the one that ends also deadly for some.

Mike

4 types of Dengue.... The 'Hem' is the worst and can arrive any time after the first incidence.
Hem cannot be the first ..... 2nd, 3rd or 4th.... it's not selective.

The first attack can be mild..... I didn't even know i had dengue until my Hem... it had to be the second.
The first was like gripe.... mild for 8-10 days or so....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
been at Centro Medico Punta Cana with my 4 years old daughter yesterday morning, as she spent the night(isnce late afternoon) with high fever.
it went down a bit due the fever blocking meds we gave her, but not enough and not for long enough to blame it on some kinda unimportant thingy, so the clinic it was in the morning.
the place was at it's emergency room filled with patients, only 3 been adult patients, all the rest been kids with high fever.
be assured that this did not make for a good start into the day for me, when it come to the lil one i am a nervous wreck right away.
short:
we got lucky again, for the 2nd time in less than a year the fever been due a infection of her throat,
something she will keep coming back once or twice a year, not very pleasant but no life danger neither.
the chat with the Doc told me that most of the fever children are actually there due some kinda virus bringing high fever and diharrea, which is going around in town, nothing to worry about, it takes 2-3 days and the mostly very young patients are back to normal, no stationary treatment necessary.
she also told me that they actually have a never experienced high number of dengue patients, too. what really means "high" i don't know, i did not ask about details or exact numbers or what so ever, doctors and nurses really been very busy yesterday morning there, no need to waste anybody's time.
my own girly got a shot in the poopsy and got yesterday and today the prescribed (we already had them in the house) 2 meds for the fever, every 4hrs, fever came down after the shot and 3 cold baths(one in the clinic and 2 at home then) right away, so after today we will stop the meds again also, as she woke up this morning completely normal.
we rarely have mosquitos around here since a longer while, so we got lazy again, but to hear about the dengue cases from the hospital in the 'hood, means the lil one has to sleep under her pink mosquito net again from now on.
at this moment i didn't hear from any of my friends around that any family member got it, but that dengue bugger is sure not something to mess around with, specially not with small children and the elderlies.
good luck everybody

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and in dr1 news today:

Dengue figures getting worse

According to the latest Epidemiology Bulletin, 7,579 cases of dengue have been registered so far this year, resulting in 95 deaths, mostly among children.

The Ministry of Public Health is calling a meeting of heads of pediatrics and internal medicine around the country to discuss the figures.

National Health Service (SNS) director Ramon Alvarado said that dengue fever should not be fatal and that it was a matter of providing the correct treatment at the right time.

In an interview on CDN Radio 5-7pm talk show yesterday, Monday 12 October 2015 deputy minister Dr. Nelson Rodriguez attributed a good number of the deaths to negligent and inadequately trained doctors. He said that no patient should die from dengue, but the disease requires close monitoring and treatment for patients. Several cases have also been blamed on misdiagnosis by doctors. During the show, Dr. Senen Caba, former president of the Dominican Medical Association, said that the government's failure to provide primary healthcare units was more to blame for the high death rate.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and in dr1 news today:

Dengue figures getting worse

According to the latest Epidemiology Bulletin, 7,579 cases of dengue have been registered so far this year, resulting in 95 deaths, mostly among children.

The Ministry of Public Health is calling a meeting of heads of pediatrics and internal medicine around the country to discuss the figures.

National Health Service (SNS) director Ramon Alvarado said that dengue fever should not be fatal and that it was a matter of providing the correct treatment at the right time.

In an interview on CDN Radio 5-7pm talk show yesterday, Monday 12 October 2015 deputy minister Dr. Nelson Rodriguez attributed a good number of the deaths to negligent and inadequately trained doctors. He said that no patient should die from dengue, but the disease requires close monitoring and treatment for patients. Several cases have also been blamed on misdiagnosis by doctors. During the show, Dr. Senen Caba, former president of the Dominican Medical Association, said that the government's failure to provide primary healthcare units was more to blame for the high death rate.

that's a freakin' high death rate.
number of dead's make 12% compared to the number o reported cases.
as Dengue is nothing new on the Island,
i would have awaited that it's diagnosing and treatment would be a routine a hospital Doctor would be well familiar with.
the article sound's sadly the opposite of such.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had almost no rash....
Reading the above, I guess I was lucky to be diagnosed correctly - but the 104.5F fever was a tip off.!!

They can do very little really... bed, saline drip, pain pills as necessary.

When they cite children, they don't say the ages....
Too young to explain the symptoms might be a problem... infants.... low immunities

It's sad

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
A question for the hivemind: Starting next week my twin 2.75 year olds will be in the DR (from the USA) for one month. If one of them were to contract this nasty bug, my instinct is to have them fly stateside immediately. What do you all think about that?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's a freakin' high death rate.
number of dead's make 12% compared to the number o reported cases.

1.25%, actually. what is scary thou is that about half of those deaths happened within one month.

today vice minister criticized doctors for not knowing how to manage their cases and not checking thoroughly their patients in order to make a diagnosis. http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/10/...os-saben-tratar-pacientes-con-sintomas-dengue

this is referring to public hospitals, i assume, since most deaths happen there. patients in private clinics have access to a wider range of tests and treatments.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A question for the hivemind: Starting next week my twin 2.75 year olds will be in the DR (from the USA) for one month. If one of them were to contract this nasty bug, my instinct is to have them fly stateside immediately. What do you all think about that?

You certainly could not have flown me when I got a bad case... I could barely walk.

Use DEET..... first cases can be mild...

Bed and hydration is the cure - no real medical care can be offered....
aside from pain pills... no medication is prescribed

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
1.25%, actually. what is scary thou is that about half of those deaths happened within one month.

today vice minister criticized doctors for not knowing how to manage their cases and not checking thoroughly their patients in order to make a diagnosis. http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/10/...os-saben-tratar-pacientes-con-sintomas-dengue

this is referring to public hospitals, i assume, since most deaths happen there. patients in private clinics have access to a wider range of tests and treatments.

My guess as to what happens to cause these waves of disease and death is that a particular section/barrio/area sees a dengue case...
and the mosquito carries it to those nearby.... it can spread easily that way.

Again, the younger ones don't pay attention to the mosquitoes, don't hear them and swat them the way adults do.
Certainly infants don't.... sitting ducks.

I think one case can spread through a neighborhood quickly.....

Just my idea.... may not be the case.
But if I'm right, it can be a very localized problem.... not too widespread.... condensed, if you will
either geographically or as a timeline - or both

Still .... dangerous

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

exactly my point, yes.
i would have expected that the hospitals in this country are used to symptoms and treatment of dengue.
and thanks for the correction, missing the point between the numbers,
was meant to state around 1.2%
which is quiet a very high portion,
considering that it is not a new surprisingly showing up thingy, but known and treatable.
when under treatment at a hospitals, dengue should only be deadly for some very very few exceptional cases out of the few hem.Dengue cases.
the "point" on the %%% number def should be placed somewhere BEFORE the "1".

Mike

I doubt they would be able to fly that sick, remember the reason most are dying is bc of a low
Immune etc. really there is little need to worry. Just use bug spray and I am sure they will be fine.