A fair price for a can of Heinz Baked beans?

C

Chip00

Welsh rarebit

I was wondering if where one can get "Welsh rarebit" here in the DR. Yeah I know I'm not a Britisher but I grew up eating this stuff on Thompson English Muffins no less with a little Worscester Sauce - my Mom had us convinced it was a gourmet food and she served it as the main course.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
I was wondering if where one can get "Welsh rarebit" here in the DR. Yeah I know I'm not a Britisher but I grew up eating this stuff on Thompson English Muffins no less with a little Worscester Sauce - my Mom had us convinced it was a gourmet food and she served it as the main course.
:bunny: make it yourself

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup porter beer
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces (approximately 1 1/2 cups) shredded Cheddar
2 drops hot sauce
4 slices toasted rye bread

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour. Whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add beer and whisk to combine. Pour in cream and whisk until well combined and smooth. Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth; this will take 4 to 5 minutes. Add hot sauce. Pour over toast and serve immediately.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Many of the products mentioned are also available from Canada and might be a more economical source for importation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I saw the mention of Tang orange flavor above. Did you know that if you have a build up of mineral deposits in your dishwasher that loading up the washer soap dispensers with Tang and running a cycle will remove them? It really works (and is not something Tang is likely to advertise).

How did you discover that? Inspiration or accident? ;) Probably works to descale a coffee machine as well..............?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you put TANG with your washing?
leave housework to mercedes, methinks.... LOL
men, they are only good for one thing and even then they need some help....

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
just an FYI, pricemart in santiago had 8 packs of van de camps pork and beans for 24 pesos a can--close to the real thing.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Bavarian Beer

...In theory if you have these, there are fixed tariffs with regards to imported goods, so you shouldn't be "stiffed" at the airport.

:laugh: :laugh:

Talk to people who run businesses here that include bringing in stuff from overseas and please don't think you could change reality into theory. ;)

I am not saying it can't be done (as I know Germans are doing it).
But then German food and beer obviously makes sense importing the stuff.
Whereas British food... all right, I'm gone... :paranoid:

m'frog

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
:laugh: :laugh:

Talk to people who run businesses here that include bringing in stuff from overseas and please don't think you could change reality into theory. ;)

I am not saying it can't be done (as I know Germans are doing it).
But then German food and beer obviously makes sense importing the stuff.
Whereas British food... all right, I'm gone... :paranoid:

m'frog

Good job MF;) Wouldnt want to compare a British banger with a German frankfarter

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I beg your pardon... :pirate:

m'frog

Thats ok you dont need to beg just stay on your knees a little longer.

Its well known that the German FrankFARTER has the same gastric qualities as the subject of this thread the great British Baked beans, which Im enjoying immensely at present as Im convalescing in UK after my stay in hospital

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Mmm let's see.. we're not in Dr yet, but hoping to be at the beginning of May. I would definitely buy the following products. You could look into investing in Vegan food, because I've been finding it difficult to know if they have even heard of Vegans in the Dominican.

Heinz baked beans
HP Sauce
Oxo cubes, but vegetable flavour
Marmite
Branston Pickle
Ribena
Sweets (Jelly babies, Liquorice Allsorts, Haribou)

I'd pay the asking price, if I couldn't get it cheaper.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
what i'd give for a chocolate hobb nobb?

can you add those to your list? I"d pay 200 pesos easily! the worlds greatest cookie!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I'm British living in Canada and I have a British Import Store about 20 feet from where I work...I am flying in to Santo Domingo at the end of May if there is something anyone is dying to have I could always bring a few things with me no problem! Yes, they have chocolate hobnobs and Heinz baked beans. Just PM me. I know what it's like when the cravings hit...I am lucky as I can just pop in a get a bag of cheese and onion crisps when the feeling hits and then I am good again for a bit!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Although I like to read the threads on DR1, I rarely contribute but the subject of Heinz Baked Beans has prompted me to do so!! All visitors from the UK have to pay a "taxi fare" for their ride from POP airport to our finca just outside Sabaneta - mininum 6 cans!! I think your plan is admirable and we will certainly support your imports (no matter what the price within reason). I won't be wanting the Marmite but all the rest plus Sage and Onion Stuffing Mix and Mint Jelly to go with the lambs with are raising. On that note is anyone interested in well bred and fed Lamb as a change? Also I know I can make my own but I do miss Green Label Mango Chutney too.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Yes Lamb Definitely....

I live in Sosua and we'd definitely be interested in your lamb. One can only eat so much chicken.... Let us know when it'll be ready and we'll be down...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We had our first lamb to eat last week and will soon have more ready... would you be happy to have a whole one?