Status
Not open for further replies.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I hope she gets a fair trial.
well, I hope she gets a fair trial.
AZB
In the good ol' US of A, justice is dependent on your ability to pay (for a good attorney). If one has to rely on public defenders, case closed, you qualify for vacation in the big house. Her family would have to spend a lot of money (by DR standards) for her to get a fair trial.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
true.
but: have you ever said: "no, i have sth packed by a friend" yourself, howmar?
No, but I have said that the bags left my sight when handled by the hotel porters. Especially when flying El Al from Israel.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
All she had to do was be truthful with preflight security when thay asked her if she had been given anything by anybody to bring onto this flight and had personally packed her own bags.. She would have subjected herself to a search before the flight, but at least she would have had documented that the bag was not packed by her before anything was found.
That don't ask that question anymore.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
All she had to do was be truthful with preflight security when thay asked her if she had been given anything by anybody to bring onto this flight and had personally packed her own bags.. She would have subjected herself to a search before the flight, but at least she would have had documented that the bag was not packed by her before anything was found.
And how would that help her case? ... the government's position in drug cases is that travelers take responsibility for contents in luggage in their care, hence, they have to verify no illegal contents.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No, but I have said that the bags left my sight when handled by the hotel porters. Especially when flying El Al from Israel.

don't even remind me, i have been through two hour search/questioning at tel aviv airport (personal search involved, auch!).
still, holiday there was fun...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
And how would that help her case? ... the government's position in drug cases is that travelers take responsibility for contents in luggage in their care, hence, they have to verify no illegal contents.
Luckily, the government doesn't decide guilt or innocence, a jury does.. This just may be one bargaining chip in plea bargaining this case. All it takes is one juror, who himself may have been in a bad relationship, to have a reasonable doubt if it goes to trial. Most prosecutors, being the government bureaucratic employees that they are, welcome an excuse to plea a case down and resolve it without a trial.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I hope she gets a fair trial.
well, I hope she gets a fair trial.
Unfortunately, the evidence even in a fair trial, seems to points to her guilt.

What she needs is a lawyer than can plead for a reduced sentence.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Unfortunately, the evidence even in a fair trial, seems to points to her guilt.

What she needs is a lawyer than can plead for a reduced sentence.

And actually, being a non-American is to her advantage. A prosecutor will look at this and choose between having a trial, getting a conviction, a sentence of 5-10 years and eventual deportation or a plea agreement, a years sentence and deportation. The end result is deportation and this person never being a problem in the US ever again in both scenarios. The savings in the prosecutors resources and prison resources are the difference.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Luckily, the government doesn't decide guilt or innocence, a jury does.. This just may be one bargaining chip in plea bargaining this case. All it takes is one juror, who himself may have been in a bad relationship, to have a reasonable doubt if it goes to trial. Most prosecutors, being the government bureaucratic employees that they are, welcome an excuse to plea a case down and resolve it without a trial.

Sorry, but I have to raise the BS flag on this sentence. Anyone who has followed the Duke rape case in the US knows that a prosecutor can nail you to the cross before a jury get a chance to decide guilt or innocence.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
The government's evidence points to guilt ... now her attorneys have to defend her and convince a jury (and judge) of her innocence or extenuating circumstances in her case to merit plea bargain and reduce sentence. But, prosecutors may insist on a trial as a deterrent to other potential drug mules.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ok she could have done this and that, checked on guy's background etc etc etc, but we know we are all talking after the fact. if she had even suspected the guy was going to cheat her by putting in drugs, I bet she would have done her research a long time ago. the truth is we all trust certain people and we all have taken items for friends on airplane. I have done it on several occasion, hell I even know a few Dr1 members who have brought me stuff from USA, things my friends sent for me.
So please we can discuss this all day long if she could have done this or that, look at president clinton, the strongest president on earth trusted monica lewensky (spelling) and look how much of trouble he got himself into? So please give that girl a break, she is not the smartest woman on earth.
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
...look at president clinton, the strongest president on earth trusted monica lewensky (spelling) and look how much of trouble he got himself into?
I'm not sure trust entered into that equation.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The government's evidence points to guilt ... now her attorneys have to defend her and convince a jury (and judge) of her innocence or extenuating circumstances in her case to merit plea bargain and reduce sentence. But, prosecutors may insist on a trial as a deterrent to other potential drug mules.
Since when, 85% of criminal cases in the US are resolved by plea bargain. Extenuating circumstances or a prosecutors wishes take a backseat to limited financial and manpower resources of the prosecutor, public defenders and the courts. This woman is no kingpin. This will be resolved with the minimum conviction required for deportation and exclusion ( an aggravated felony with a one year sentence).
She will be back in the DR in 8 months.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Of course he trusted her with this secret relationship. If he had suspected that she would go public with his activities with her in Oval office you think clinton would have unzipped his pants?
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What does a President getting a hummer from an intern have to do with muling drugs? I am not sure I understand the analogy!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
After scanning through the thread, I just want to make a couple of points...

She will most likely be made a pre-trial offer. If she is smart, she will take it as it is tough be be found not-guilty when the drugs were in her luggage.

If this goes to trial, it will be a trial by jury but the JUDGE decides the scentencing and whatever he gives her will be worse than the offer.

Also, someone said she should have said the bags were out of her possession at some point when she was checked in and explained. If she had, she would probably win the trial based solely on that and whatever the check-in agent would have typed into her computer based on that statement. The rest is history and unfortunately, so is she.

Larry

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What a mess......

To be honest with you, and taking into consideration the fact that it pains you that a friend of yours is in such a mess, she is the same type of person YOU and I criticize so much here on this site. You know, the ones with low self-esteem, looking for love, or lust, at the wrong places, evens if smarter than Einstein.

What happened to your friend is NOTHING new. People have been using "trusting" people to do their "dirty laundry" since the beginning of time.

Perhaps your friend didn't know what she was carrying but there's always 2 version per story: her version, and the real version. I am not saying that she needed to do this selfish act, but there have been MANY cases where people with good jobs, nice homes, money in the bank and living very comfortably, doing the same thing she was caught doing.

A while back I posted about an ex-friend of mine who was VERY well-off (old money), well educated, good job, nice houses, nice car, tons of money in the bank, etc. He was the pride and joy of his family. In one of his trips to the US to visit family members, he got together with some friends and they were caught with cocaine in the car. They were all accused of intention to sell.

He was sentenced to 3 years. After he served his sentence, INS picked him up in prison and deported him to the DR, and his visiting privileges was revoked for life.

Up to this day, he still claims that "I wasn't guilty, it was not my drug, it was my friend's car, I didn't need to sell drug since I have money, I didn't know they had drugs in the car, blah blah blah". That is his story and he is still sticking to it, even after his own cousin (who wasn't involved) told his family that every single time he visited the US, he would seek his shady friends and help them sell drugs for quick cash.

His father is not buying his "not guilty" story. To this day, his father, a very respected and connected person, cut ALL ties with him.

Bottom line is that I would not "put my hand on fire" for a friend, any friend. We may think we know a person but at the end of the day, we really do not know what motivates some people.

Whether the b/f was was a tiguere or not, people shouldn't be so trusting, especially when we read about incidents like this ALL the time.

I always say that there's only a few people who have your best interest at heart, and for that reason, I trust NOBODY when it comes to bringing packages into the DR or into the US for them.

They want me to bring "things" to the DR or US for their loved one, give me cash to bring buddy, and don't put it in an envelope!!.

AZB, your friend WILL serve time, WILL be deported, her visa WILL be revoked, WILL lose her job in the DR, WILL be labeled as a drug mule by her neighbors, family and friends and WILL carry a "Scarlet Letter" for the rest of her life, even if she says she is not guilty.

MANY well-off people have been "singing the same tune" she is "singing". We all know that ALL prisons are full of "innocent" people.

MAYBE she is telling the truth but the fact is that it really doesn't matter anymore.

Last edited:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
stupid white women

been here 12 years or so all over the island and the story of this woman does not surprise me one bit.i know litreally 100?s of women in abusive relationships here,and theres no telling them.i was boss of a nbr of them in the hotel industry,listened and advised them at 1st along with other well intentioned gringos,but it was like peeing in the wind and they never took our advice so in the end we all got fed up and knew they actually loved the drama and attention ,but when they next came to work with black eyes bruises, broken arms maxed credit cards we dident say anything at all,wasting our breath.women like this dont want a good guy,they are?boring for them.they love scum,and to loll in there own **** then look to others for attention.the nicer you are to the majorety of women the more they treat you like crap.boo hoo hoo,wake up and dont smell the blood in yer nose......

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Miguel, she is not like your friend. She is just not daring enough to do something so dangerous. Remember, she is a woman with good job and money, not some slut from some barrio who is desperate to change her life. She has earned her money the right way and there is no way she was going to jeopardize all that by carrying drugs in suitcase. This is just plane stupid. If she wanted to carry drugs, she would have done in by swallowing huge cocaine filled capsules in her belly. I think she was just too chicken to do all that. She had 2 kids to worry about, no way in hell she would do something so stupid. The woman was too trusting and fell into a trap. Yes, it could be as simple as that, no drama needed here.
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.