A sad story - how to stop it happening again

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The power here is no different than anywhere else. The supply a voltage. They try to keep it near 120 VAC. The current is determined by the load that you connect to it. The only way a wire will limit the current is by burning up and breaking the circuit. A 14 gauge wire (very small) will carry 15 amps all day, 20 in free air. Less than a fortieth of an amp can kill you.

Bigbird already set me straight on this:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/855059-post50.html

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
I wish you the best of luck. There is a fundamental problem here that you will find extremely difficult to overcome, and it's depressing. Most Dominicans don't know how to think before they act, they just do whatever they want to do and don't think about the consequences of their actions before they do what they do. Stopping this type of behavior is the key to your success. Unfortunately, it is also why such a wealthy country is so fundamentally underdeveloped, socially, ethically, and especially in the cusp of education. I wish you luck, but do yourself a favor, if you don't meet up with success, don't kill yourself over this. You'll find youself traumatized over something that as preventable as it is, it is still out of your control.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
That certainly would be a great idea but you also need to be able to reach out to those with limited TV access. I know in the barrio there are quite a few homes without TV and many without electricity.

Your right, but it is something that could also be translated well on radio also. The information may not reach everyone but i believe it would reach the majority and would be well worth it.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
out of curiousity why didn't any of these "brave" dominicans go up and try and rescue the 11 year old girl? she was up there being fried for 20 minutes and nobody lifted a finger?

are these the same people who don't stand up to a thug like trujillo and let him rule for 30 years with a reign of terror?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
out of curiousity why didn't any of these "brave" dominicans go up and try and rescue the 11 year old girl? she was up there being fried for 20 minutes and nobody lifted a finger?

are these the same people who don't stand up to a thug like trujillo and let him rule for 30 years with a reign of terror?

Because she was on the roof and they assumed as the roof was zinc it would be live. No idea if it was or not. They were scared.

matilda

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Because she was on the roof and they assumed as the roof was zinc it would be live. No idea if it was or not. They were scared

so they didn't touch it to find out?

realistically, how big a shock would they get when its grounded across an entire roof?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Zinc does conduct electricity, but only very weakly... so someone with boots could have safely crossed the roof...

Another solution would have been to drive up one of those pick-ups with the plastified (rubberized) loading area's (like the isuzu), and from there knock the person free... (as a car stands on rubber-tires most of the current would be neutralised, even when somebody would by mistake contact the roof)...

As an experienced person in "urgent medical help" I can say very few persons know how to perform cpr in a correct way, and doing it incorrectly can also kill... (or break ribs, etc...)

Matilda, I think general first aid classes, and general info sessions could help a lot, but then again, how many people would attend? As I explained in another thread, Acira and myself stopped at a nasty moto-accident a couple of months ago, checked all vital signs, immediately diagnosed one person as having at least a severe concussion, and then the fire-department showed up (supposedly pro's as they had the ambulance with all the flickering lights and let's not forget the sirens) and without checking one thing just threw the person onto a stretcher and carted him of...

My sincerest simpathies for the poor girl and her family

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
The bleeding thing is not to get the electricity out it is to make the person lose conciousness and therefore release the wire. Bad idea either way. As has been stated voltage doesn't kill 120 or 50,000 it doesn't matter that is why we have transformers. The only difference is that very high voltage can actually create a magnetic field and draw you into the source if you are on wet gound.
Just having thin rubber soles is not good I have seen a persons shoes get blown right off with a high voltage line and they still lived lost a couple toes though. The only way to save a person is to remove them from the current. in the case of someone holing a wire on a metal roof taking a rope and pulling there feet out from under them is probably the best way. Good luck Matilda it is hard to educate people who believe Mammajuanna cures all.
Dave