ABC News: 8 Places to Retire Abroad and Save Big

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Christine DiGangi" is "Pechardo's" twin sister!
Last time I was "Visiting" Natrang, Vietnam,the locals were trying to kill me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i secretly know he was onto something with his simple lifestyle and environment friendly ideas. the time will come when alternative energy sources will no longer be "alternative" and will become "regular and standard". yet his stubbornness and fanaticism always brought the worst in me, making me long for a v12 aston martin db9 in le mans race...

you strike me more as a Maserati girl..........

donP

Dec 14, 2008
LT vs. SFdM and Santiago

Don P has it right. Las Terrenas is probably the most expensive town in the country.

Hmm, I do not remember saying that.... :(

In fact, LT prices are not that high.
We went to Santiago and SFdM the other day and checked out two La Sirena SMs there.
A lot of things are actually even cheaper in LT (milk, some cheeses, butter, imported jams, wines,...). :surprised

SM Lindo will soon have the (well deserved) competition from a La Sirena outlet (Pola) and "SM Las Terrenas" (formerly "Rey") and "Atlantico" also help that prices do not climb too much.

BTW, we made the mistake to have lunch in a Santiago La Sirena (I think they have 3 or 4 there) ; it was lukewarm, horrible and expensive. The SFdM La Sirena has much better food.

donP

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have been to most of these countries and I totally agree with everything this journalist says except for
one small detail. The word "retirement" needs to be changed to "a meager existence".
Christine DiGangi forgot to mention the two-tier pricing system which exist in every
single one of these places listed above.
Another thing she forgot to mention is, while living in
any of these south east Asian cities you will always be treated as a second class citizen in a
third world county. This is the main reason I traded all of those beautiful women and beaches for
the Caribbean.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hmm, I do not remember saying that.... :(

In fact, LT prices are not that high.
We went to Santiago and SFdM the other day and checked out two La Sirena SMs there.
A lot of things are actually even cheaper in LT (milk, some cheeses, butter, imported jams, wines,...). :surprised

SM Lindo will soon have the (well deserved) competition from a La Sirena outlet (Pola) and "SM Las Terrenas" (formerly "Rey") and "Atlantico" also help that prices do not climb too much.

BTW, we made the mistake to have lunch in a Santiago La Sirena (I think they have 3 or 4 there) ; it was lukewarm, horrible and expensive. The SFdM La Sirena has much better food.

donP

No, you did not say that. I said that. I think that there has also been a national survey on that.

Not Samana town.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Price Survey

I said that. I think that there has also been a national survey on that.
Not Samana town.

Hmm, I'd like to see that survey...

Do you remember by whom the survey was done?
A Dominican journalist maybe..... ? :cheeky:

donP

dolcevita

Sep 24, 2008
Seriously, For Real? Portugal is part of Schengen zone. Retirement abroad would last 3 good months...

T

thundercat

Well this thread fits me as i'm about to "retire" in Santiago, Dr and will be living in a relatives house since they will be coming to the US and leaving the house empty. The house is located in an so-so area but I was born and live there when I was kid. I will ge getting around $1300 a month for my pension after taxes and health insurance which I will pay for in case I get horribly sick and need to return to the US. I have a couple grand in reserves and another couple grand that I will use to by a car in the DR. Any advise? As I said, I'm a native born (American citizen now) and I am in my early thirties {they forced me to retire young :( }

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Well this thread fits me as i'm about to "retire" in Santiago, Dr and will be living in a relatives house since they will be coming to the US and leaving the house empty. The house is located in an so-so area but I was born and live there when I was kid. I will ge getting around $1300 a month for my pension after taxes and health insurance which I will pay for in case I get horribly sick and need to return to the US. I have a couple grand in reserves and another couple grand that I will use to by a car in the DR. Any advise? As I said, I'm a native born (American citizen now) and I am in my early thirties {they forced me to retire young :( }

That 1300 U.S will just about cover my cable,phone and luz bill in Santiago

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
$1155.00 would be a miserable existence here, even for one person.

It all depends on your lifestyle. If you spent $300-400usds a month for a studio apartment and $300 a month for food and don't have a vehicle and were in also willing to be in the sex trade as a retiree than you could live cheap and have an interesting life. Of course, if you wanted to travel back to the US and back your budget is __cked.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I think you'll be perfectly fine. You speak the language, are Dominican so you don't have to go through all the residency crap, although you will need to get a cedula if you don't have one. I know a couple of retired American military that do just fine on their pensions. I live on less, by choice, and don't suffer in anyway.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

You will be fine.You will probably want to get health insurance here as well. And you will probably pick up some sort of work, otherwise you will be bored out of your mind.

But that money is a good living for a Dominican.. expats seem to just have higher "tastes"..do not speak Spanish so need extra channels on TV, air conditioners, etc. / puts you in the middle class and even within our own DR1 price range for expats.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
You will be fine.You will probably want to get health insurance here as well. And you will probably pick up some sort of work, otherwise you will be bored out of your mind.

But that money is a good living for a Dominican.. expats seem to just have higher "tastes"..do not speak Spanish so need extra channels on TV, air conditioners, etc. / puts you in the middle class and even within our own DR1 price range for expats.

He is in his early 30's and did not mention that his wife and kids are comming along...

Chicas can get real expensive so he will need more cash! 1300 USD wont do it!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

if he brings a car, and lives rent free, why can't he live decently on 1300 per month? it is a matter of priorities, and what is important to him. the guy was born in the DR. he does not have some gringo expectation of what a good life is. there are several Dominican posters here, and you don't see them opening threads about where to get the best Angus beef. he has caribbean genes, and will not have to keep his house cold like an igloo. different strokes for different folks.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
if he brings a car, and lives rent free, why can't he live decently on 1300 per month? it is a matter of priorities, and what is important to him. the guy was born in the DR. he does not have some gringo expectation of what a good life is. there are several Dominican posters here, and you don't see them opening threads about where to get the best Angus beef. he has caribbean genes, and will not have to keep his house cold like an igloo. different strokes for different folks.

I know many 'Caribbean' folks who get used to the Gringo standard when they live in Gringolandia and would like the same level of standards when they get back... They have forgotten where they came from...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know many 'Caribbean' folks who get used to the Gringo standard when they live in Gringolandia and would like the same level of standards when they get back... They have forgotten where they came from...

and there are those who have not. if this guy is one who has not bought into hypermaterialism, he will be fine.