Aduana vs Couriers. Again?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Another Fern?ndez

... Aduanas is really making life difficult for the forwarders.

Unless Danilo replaces this "director general de Aduanas, Fernando Fern?ndez (!)" will not stop being a PITA. :mad:

donP

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Of course it's true. It's getting lots of play in the local papers. Aduanas is really making life difficult for the forwarders.

Even my package of little walkie talkies-Only $39.99 was held up for 2-3 days in Aduana. Is it possible that they are just overwhelmed with packages at this time of year and understaffed?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Even my package of little walkie talkies-Only $39.99 was held up for 2-3 days in Aduana. Is it possible that they are just overwhelmed with packages at this time of year and understaffed?

Which is exactly the plan. Because the forwarders previously didn't have to inspect every package, they weren't staffed to inspect every package. Now combine that with the Xmas shipping season, and you have either unhappy customers who just think the forwarders are slow, and increased labor costs to the people that they really want out of business anyway.

The timing of all this is *not* a coincidence.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Which is exactly the plan. Because the forwarders previously didn't have to inspect every package, they weren't staffed to inspect every package. Now combine that with the Xmas shipping season, and you have either unhappy customers who just think the forwarders are slow, and increased labor costs to the people that they really want out of business anyway.

The timing of all this is *not* a coincidence.

Yeah I could tell my package was opened because it was from Amazon and a big blue strip of tape across the top. So they are opening all packages-even down to $1? Crazy.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Every package I have received via EPS has been opened. I do wish they would seal them closed again with a little bit more gusto.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Yeah I could tell my package was opened because it was from Amazon and a big blue strip of tape across the top. So they are opening all packages-even down to $1? Crazy.

Everything gets opened. And if there's no packing list *inside* they will hold it. I had a package where the contents were listed on the envelope, and they held it until I sent the receipt of sale.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Customs is still fuming from their failed attempt to tax the under 200 shipments. So now they are doing what they can to **** up the system. These people are straight up garbage and need to be replaced.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I bought a OnePlus One smart phone that was delivered to BMCargo in Florida on Monday December 1. I uploaded a factura with BMCargo's online Pre Alerta option.

The phone was posted as processed in Doral at 11 AM yesterday. It was posted as packed at 4 PM indicating BMCargo opened it to check for an invoice. It was posted as shipped at 8 PM.

BMCargo has also added another online option:

Declaraci?n Aduanal
Los siguientes paquetes han llegado a nuestro almac?n de origen sin sus correspondientes facturas comerciales.
Para embarcar los mismos necesitamos que nos suministre el valor de la compra y adjunte la factura comercial en unos de los siguientes formatos PDF, JPG, PNG o GIF.

Customs Declaration
The following packages have arrived at our warehouse without their corresponding commercial invoices.
To ship the same you need to provide us the value of the purchase and attach the invoice in one of the following PDF, JPG, PNG or GIF formats.

In effect if a package arrives without an invoice and you haven't yet uploaded an invoice BMCargo holds it and gives you another opportunity to upload an invoice before they ship it.

I also have a $10 belt on the way. I uploaded an invoice.

Aduanas is forcing the shippers to do more work and there will be costs passed along to us but I can wait them out. It will still be cheaper to buy online.

If they get the Supreme Court to allow charges on items valued less than $200 I'll just fly to the US more often to make the rounds with friends and family and do some shopping while I'm there.

This is just another example of how government sucks eggs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Essentially the same situations apply when I use Encargopaq and they need an invoice. I just upload it on their website and I have the contact information to email the invoice as well. So far shipments are coming through normally.

Feb 7, 2007
La Asociaci?n Dominicana de Empresas Courier (ASODEC), desea hacer del conocimiento de la poblaci?n las razones por la cuales el Consumidor sufre tardanzas en las entregas de sus mercanc?as compradas por Internet.

En este sentido, luego de que el Tribunal Superior Administrativo dictara sentencia suspendiendo la ejecuci?n de la disposici?n administrativa emitida por la Direcci?n General de Aduanas (DGA) para el cobro de aranceles e impuestos a los env?os Courier con valor menor o igual a los US$200.00 (De Minimis), esta instituci?n ha implementado medidas arbitrarias, de hostigamiento y retaliaci?n contra los env?os Courier.

Algunas de las medidas creadas por la DGA en contra del proceso expedito de desaduanizaci?n de la paqueter?a del Correo Expreso, son las siguientes:

1. Verificaci?n del 100% de los paquetes diariamente, debiendo ser una revisi?n aleatoria de acuerdo al An?lisis de Riesgo que presenta cada Empresa; violando el Decreto 402-05.

2. La exigencia de la inclusi?n de la factura en el origen dentro del paquete, la cual no es una obligaci?n en el proceso de importaci?n hacia el pa?s, pues los procesos aduanales
existentes tanto a nivel nacional como internacional permiten que dicha factura se adjunte al manifiesto en el momento de la presentaci?n de la mercanc?a a la DGA para su desaduanizaci?n. Esta medida de que la factura sea incluida en el paquete al momento de su despacho hacia Rep?blica Dominicana, no representa ning?n valor a?adido al proceso de importaci?n que debe completarse por ante la DGA.

3. En los casos en que la factura no viene dentro del paquete, el mismo es retenido por la DGA y sometido a un procedimiento adicional para su liberaci?n, que queda a discreci?n de los auditores su an?lisis y su posterior autorizaci?n para despacho, pudiendo durar hasta 2 semanas.

4. Una Base de Datos de Contribuyentes continuamente incompleta, donde no est?n registradas C?dulas y Pasaportes, lo cual no permite la presentaci?n del manifiesto correctamente llevando a un retraso recurrente.

5. La unificaci?n de paquetes de diferentes suplidores con valores individuales inferiores a los 200 D?lares, que al consolidarlos, supera este monto, con la finalidad de cobrar impuestos, violando claramente lo establecido en el DR-CAFTA

6. La DGA no cuenta con un personal y equipos suficientes para la desaduanizaci?n de las mercanc?as en el tiempo establecido de 6 horas, que constituye otra violaci?n al DR-CAFTA.

7. Cambios arbitrarios en los procedimientos de forma unilateral y sin previo aviso, siendo los mismos aplicados de inmediato y comunicados de forma verbal.

Aclaramos que los Couriers no controlamos la inclusi?n de las facturas dentro de los paquetes. La decisi?n es del suplidor de los clientes incluir o no las mismas. Los suplidores est?n apostando a los beneficios de la digitalizaci?n y ayuda al Medio Ambiente, yendo en consonancia con "las aduanas sin papel".

En ASODEC estamos apegados al buen cumplimiento de las leyes y normas establecidas para el Transporte Expreso Internacional y les exhortamos a la poblaci?n que siga efectuando sus compras por Internet ya que seguiremos haciendo todo lo que est? a nuestro alcance para seguir entreg?ndoles sus paquetes y correspondencias en el menor tiempo posible.

Por ?ltimo, ASODEC solicita al Director General de Aduanas que proceda a sancionar como estipula la ley, a los responsables de las supuestas pr?cticas de evasi?n.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Customs harrasses ASODEC

A google translation of th above message that I just got from Encargopaq:

Translate
The Dominican Association of Business Courier (ASODEC), wishes to inform the population of the reasons why the Consumer suffers delays in deliveries of the goods bought online.
In this sense, after the Supreme Administrative Court delivered judgment suspending the execution of the administrative act issued by the Directorate General of Customs (DGA) for the collection of duties and taxes Courier shipments less than or equal to US $ 200.00 (De Minimis), this institution has implemented arbitrary measures, harassment and retaliation against Courier shipments.
Some of the measures created by the DGA against expedited customs clearance of express mail parcel of the process are the following:
1. Verification of 100% of packets daily, must be a random review according to risk analysis presented by each company; violating Decree 402-05.
2. The requirement for the inclusion of the bill at the origin within the package, which is not an obligation in the process of import into the country, because the customs procedures
existing both nationally and internationally allow such invoice is attached to the manifest at the time of the presentation of the goods to the DGA for customs clearance. This measure of the invoice is included in the package when released to Dominican Republic represents no value added to the import process to be completed by at the DGA.
3. In cases where the invoice does not come within the package, it is retained by the DGA and subjected to an additional procedure for release, which is at the discretion of the auditors analysis and subsequent authorization for release, can last up to 2 weeks.
4. Database continually incomplete Taxpayers, which are not registered Bonds and Passports, which does not allow the presentation of the manifesto correctly leading to recurrent delay.
5. The unification of packages of different suppliers with less than 200 Dollars individual values that consolidate exceeds this amount, in order to collect taxes, clearly violating the provisions of the DR-CAFTA
6. The DGA does not have an adequate staff and equipment for the customs clearance of goods at the set time of 6 hours, which is another violation of DR-CAFTA.
7. Changes in procedures arbitrary unilaterally and without notice, remain the same applied immediately and communicated verbally.
Couriers clarify that we do not control the inclusion of invoices within the packages. The decision is the supplier of customers include or not the same. The suppliers are betting on the benefits of digitization and helps the environment, going in line with "paperless customs".
In ASODEC we are attached to the proper enforcement of laws and established rules for International Express Transport and urge them to people to continue making purchases over the Internet and will continue to do everything in our power to continue delivering your packages and correspondence in the shortest time possible.
Finally, ASODEC requested the Director General of Customs to proceed to sanction as provided by law, those responsible for the alleged evasion practices.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
We are one of those "caught in Miami " families. A well planned Xmas , And Most is stuck in Aduanas there even though almost all arrived around 25th of November. I frankly don't care about the taxes but find it silly that earlier this year they tried to over tax to appease "big business" and lost.

Actually a few things that I find silly:

1/. Why would aduanas try to reduce imports which would reduce the need for Aduanas agents in favor of producing profits for big business? Without a doubt there is more work to clearing and processing 3000 Imports through the couriers as oposed to 1 container ! ? A fee is always charged. Isn't that sort of shooting themselves in the foot?

2/. Most of the items , no, ALL of the items I buy on Amazon et al. are items I cannot buy here. The garbage quality they offer in stores like La Sirena and the Mom and Pop places are the no name Chinese made junk that doesn't last until the package is even opened in most cases. I for one would GLADLY buy here if I could find it here. We are on the North Coast and its near impossible to find the current trends . And I am not big on travelling to "La Capitale" every time I need to buy something that works 2 times in a row !

3/. Why wouldn't they just put a reasonable import tax on all goods and reap the benefits and allow the market to correct the big retailers?

I suppose it all comes down to a few people getting full pockets from a few other people.

Like Mr Spockia (Dominican Spock) Said ! The Needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many ! Dame Dame Dame

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have an amazon parcel that arrived at EPS Miami end of day yesterday. Received the initial EPS notification email this morning.I'll let you know when it hits Sosua.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
We are one of those "caught in Miami " families. A well planned Xmas , And Most is stuck in Aduanas there even though almost all arrived around 25th of November. I frankly don't care about the taxes but find it silly that earlier this year they tried to over tax to appease "big business" and lost.

Actually a few things that I find silly:

1/. Why would aduanas try to reduce imports which would reduce the need for Aduanas agents in favor of producing profits for big business? Without a doubt there is more work to clearing and processing 3000 Imports through the couriers as oposed to 1 container ! ? A fee is always charged. Isn't that sort of shooting themselves in the foot?

2/. Most of the items , no, ALL of the items I buy on Amazon et al. are items I cannot buy here. The garbage quality they offer in stores like La Sirena and the Mom and Pop places are the no name Chinese made junk that doesn't last until the package is even opened in most cases. I for one would GLADLY buy here if I could find it here. We are on the North Coast and its near impossible to find the current trends . And I am not big on travelling to "La Capitale" every time I need to buy something that works 2 times in a row !

3/. Why wouldn't they just put a reasonable import tax on all goods and reap the benefits and allow the market to correct the big retailers?

I suppose it all comes down to a few people getting full pockets from a few other people.

Like Mr Spockia (Dominican Spock) Said ! The Needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many ! Dame Dame Dame

1/ You're presuming Aduana is acting in the interest of itself, which it isn't. It seems to be tasked with protecting the B&M stores' interests here in RD. To that end, the goal of reducing inbound shipping makes perfect sense.

2/ Agreed

3/ See point 1 and 2; applying a reasonable tax isn't in the interests of the B&M stores here. Curtaining availability of cheaper and higher-quality electronics, clothing, and hard goods from the US, however, is in their interests. They inflated prices because they had a captive audience. Now that Amazon and eBay (among other online retailers) are cutting significantly into their sales, they choose not to compete by price and quality, but by reducing competition.

At some point, they may well be successful is getting all shipments taxed, and not just those over $200 US. From there, it becomes a matter of how much to tax, and that will be the beginning of the end for a lot of the freight-forwarders.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Customs is still fuming from their failed attempt to tax the under 200 shipments. So now they are doing what they can to **** up the system. These people are straight up garbage and need to be replaced.

A flame-thrower through that place!! (yesterday, one year ago) :mad:

Feb 7, 2007
Knock knock, all of about 20+ shipments are safely picked up today. I can say this:
- With PickN Send, the average processing time in Miami was 1 day (received day one, entry into system day 2)
- The average time in Aduana was 1 day before December 1st and then 2 days after that (arrived Day 1, released Day 2)
- I had about 12 packages for which I was asked invoice (why the frikin JC Penney and Kohls cannot put in an invoice is beyon me, they put in a packing slip!)
- For the last few packages I found out I can actually upload invoice before the package arrives...since then, no more invoice requests
- Amazon always put in invoice but one Chinese shipper
- 3 business days (1 in Miami, 1 in Aduana/SDQ, 1 in Higuey) is now 5 business days (2 in Miami, 2 in Aduana/SDQ, 1 in Higuey).

I can say that compared to you guys with EPS experience and others having packages held for 10+ days, this has been a heaven.

I only had one JC Penney package held in Miami for invoice which was held for 48 hours (2 biz days+ weekend) but about 20 calls took are of it. It was one of the bigger packages with winter clothing, quite important to get it on time.

All in all, given the situation with Aduana, I had very good experience with PickN Send, and the average delay was just 2 days after the Black Friday sales kicked in (all of November until dec1, there were no delays whatsoever, even though Aduana implemented their new procedures in Early November).

Feb 7, 2007

That is what every courier franchise manager/owner says.
Also, that in 3 months, the very employees will be so f***d, because 70% of packages are under one pound, small stuff, 10-20-50 dollars max. The very employees will get tired of checking HDMI cables and weird electronics connectors bought off ebay and Amazon (and will rebel).

Btw how many AMETs do you see stopping motoconchos without helmets? (hint, hint!)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
1/ You're presuming Aduana is acting in the interest of itself, which it isn't. It seems to be tasked with protecting the B&M stores' interests here in RD. To that end, the goal of reducing inbound shipping makes perfect sense.

2/ Agreed

3/ See point 1 and 2; applying a reasonable tax isn't in the interests of the B&M stores here. Curtaining availability of cheaper and higher-quality electronics, clothing, and hard goods from the US, however, is in their interests. They inflated prices because they had a captive audience. Now that Amazon and eBay (among other online retailers) are cutting significantly into their sales, they choose not to compete by price and quality, but by reducing competition.

At some point, they may well be successful is getting all shipments taxed, and not just those over $200 US. From there, it becomes a matter of how much to tax, and that will be the beginning of the end for a lot of the freight-forwarders.

At the moment, the reactions are violating the DR-CAFTA trade agreement with these delays. They already tried to tax under $200 shipments and that was thrown out. I use Encargopaq and the delays have not been significant yet for me.