Advertising Sales Positions Santo Domingo

Dec 26, 2011
I think caribmike's onto something. RD business owners are more face-to-face.

In the US I've sealed many deals over the phone, with good result. Both buying and selling. Not sure how Canada operates, but it can't be that different from the US. I would never expect my US approach to be effective in RD.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not Really

This company has been in business for 15 years with sales offices in Edmonton, Phoenix, The Phillipines and now the DR. All selling ad space over the phone.....
Link?

web

Nov 5, 2005
thats why companies outsource or setup in areas with lower labor rates and tax advantages, to save money

Very interesting concept....selling advertising over the phone. First one I have seen. BUT YOU MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING .... I would like to apply for your training course. And I will even pay for it (if I really find it worth the money). You know how much time, and money, I would save if I could sell advertising in the DR just from my office over the phone? Then I can tell to all the media sales gurus, seasoned experts and university professors teaching media selling to go stick their media selling concepts and seasoned experience up-something. I really mean it! Count me in for your training sessions!!!!!

web

Nov 5, 2005
as the ad states this is a Canadian company calling into Canadian businesses
"hire and fire?" ridiculous
Why would you waste your time training investing in an employee to fire them? Doesnt make sense and costs money. Obviously not everyone will make it but the plan will be to minimize churn

"advertising in the DR"

I assume to DR companies / business?

They sell to Canadian / US as far as I understood? These are used getting sales calls... Dominican Companies? Not so much, or?

I think the offer itself is just another "hire & fire" thing...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A quick search of "Canadian Missing Kids magazine" shows links to fraudulent activities.

Here is just one of many:

Calls from 7804543349 5/10

One post:

This company scammed us several times. We run a busy company and paid several of their bills for "advertising" - even though we weren't entirely convinced that the charges were authorized we paid them - as the funds were apparently going to a good cause. Once I realized the scam, I specifically advised them to never call us again.

Today I get a very friendly call from Melissa representing the "Canadian Missing Kids Newsmagazine". When I asked what charity she was representing, she said it was the "RCMP / Missing Kids". When I asked her for her toll-free number she gave the same number as Cedar Publishing. When confronted, she explained that her company "just took over that phone number". When I told her that sounded like a load of crap, she then said that "the new company is sharing office space with Cedar Publishing". When I told her that sounded like a bigger load of crap, she then said that the new company had just recently taken over Cedar Publishing and that "everything is different now". When I asked to speak to Moe, she said he's not the owner but that she doesn't know the new owners name. When I asked for details of the "RCMP charity", she said that I misunderstood what she was saying - and that the RCMP provides them with pictures of missing children.

I am so sick and tired of these phonies. Moe, you've been using missing children and worthwhile causes in order to rip people off. It's despicable and pathetic. Hopefully karma will catch up with you in the future.

In the meantime, anyone with ideas about how to cause some grief for Cedar Publishing, please let me know. They need a wake-up call.

Another link:

Ripoff Report | Cedar Publishing Corporation | Complaint Review: 438138

Ripoff Report | Cedar Publishing | Complaint Review: 947927

If you are Cedar Publishing, or of you represent Cedar Publishing, people need to know your game.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
as the ad states this is a Canadian company calling into Canadian businesses
"hire and fire?" ridiculous
Why would you waste your time training investing in an employee to fire them? Doesnt make sense and costs money. Obviously not everyone will make it but the plan will be to minimize churn
Maybe they quit when finding out your scam, Moe?

Just a thought?

Some folks have a conscience.

web

Nov 5, 2005
you can check out the Better Business Bureau
I checked them out as well and they have never done anything fraudulent
In 15 years if that is all you can find is a handful of complaints thats not a bad record

This one particular publication and they have about 20 is Canadian Missing Kids Newsmagazine
Cedar Publishing is not a charity they are a publisher

I am the manager for their new entity here in the DR
RCMP is not a charity either it is The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, this is where they get the data to post about missing children

A quick search of "Canadian Missing Kids magazine" shows links to fraudulent activities.

Here is just one of many:

Calls from 7804543349 5/10

One post:

Another link:

Ripoff Report | Cedar Publishing Corporation | Complaint Review: 438138

Ripoff Report | Cedar Publishing | Complaint Review: 947927

If you are Cedar Publishing, or of you represent Cedar Publishing, people need to know your game.

web

Nov 5, 2005
What scam? We call your office pitch our magazine, you agree to buy an ad. We then call you to confirm you have agreed to place an ad. We do a mock up and fax it to you. (at that time you can make changes etc.) We publish the magazine and distribute it. Then we mail you a copy of the magazine with your invoice tucked inside. No monies up front, then you pay after you receive the invoice. The sales call and the conformation call is recorded.

Maybe they quit when finding out your scam, Moe?

Just a thought?

Some folks have a conscience.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What scam? We call your office pitch our magazine, you agree to buy an ad. We then call you to confirm you have agreed to place an ad. We do a mock up and fax it to you. (at that time you can make changes etc.) We publish the magazine and distribute it. Then we mail you a copy of the magazine with your invoice tucked inside. No monies up front, then you pay after you receive the invoice. The sales call and the conformation call is recorded.
Really?

ALL those posts and complaints and accusations of fraud are incorrect?

So you ARE Cedar Publishing and you ARE Moe.

Here is one hit when you google "Cedar Publishing Scam:

Charities warn about publishing firm

Yeah, Moe, you're a real sweetheart:

Summer of July 2011, i get a phone call from a block number. This guy name Chris phones me asking me if I wanted to advertise my home-based business with the Crime Investigation Magazine. It sounded like a good idea but this company told me they send me documents in the mail. Then my business sponsor tells me I had to get my corporation to approve this request. Anyways, i hear nothing back for 3 months and get no documents in the mail. Then October 2011, i get an email saying that my ad will be in the magazine and they want my corrections before October 7th. I phone this company to discuss my situation about my corporation needing to confirm it and I was told to talk to a guy name Moe. So when i talk to him he gets defensive right away and tells me I signed up no matter what. He told me I was on tape recorder and I have to have this deal. Nobody told me my conversation was on tape recorder when this Chris phoned me the first time. According to Moe, all his conversations are recorded but nobody told me this. I told him i got no documents and no payment plan and he said that wasn't an issue. It made no sense so i emailed him after getting off the phone with Moe because he is an irrational man and I tell him i wasn't interested. So he phones me the next day screaming at me, telling me I have to have this deal, it's all on tape recorder. Little does he know he needs my corporation's approval which he never did and they would file a lawsuit against him. There was no signature and no credit card information but he told me I had to do this with him?? When i got the email with my ad it didn't even looked ledgit. It didn't look like my business and my information wasn't even right. So now i mailed the Better Business Bureau a complaint about this man and his company. And I also contacted Alberta Services. If they keep on harrassing me I will go to the police about this as well. I am surprised this man is still doing business.

We have been receiving phone calls from Cedar Publishing Reps who claim that our company advertised in the Child Find Magazine in 2008. Apparently, this add was invoiced 2 years later in 2010 and now (2012) they want to collect. This add was never approved and yet they claim that it was purchased and confirmed by two different people who have never worked for our company.

I also called the Child Find organization and the person I spoke to said that they had a legal action against Cedar Publishing due to fraud. I am not sure who these people are, but I have found various warnings about this company on the internet and I will also file a complaint with BBB.

These people start like any other telemarketer; calling you and asking if you would like to advertise in a magazine, But this time the magazine actually related to the business I'm in and it had interested me. They say they will create a proof and fax it to me for my approval. I had asked several times on the phone about the prices or my commitment by
accepting this proof but they rush you and say oh no no no sir; we will only send you an invoice once the ad is approved by you. I said "ok send me a fax of it and we'll go from their". The next day a fax shows up that a 10 year old kid can make in 5 minutes and I decided that I should maybe Google this magazine to see their credibility first. There's
pages and pages of warning about dealing with this company and how they have been sued by several other large companies for they way the practice. It's nothing but a scam in a magazine that's 90% ads.

I called to cancel the proof a full week before the deadline and they send me another fax the next day that was a full page long and explains that they have a recording of my phone conversation with them and I said "yes" so I am in a contract with them now and hows there's no choice but to pay the ad. It goes on and on and they say things like "perhaps you have forgotten our commitment". Anyways I then phone this lady Barb Wright who's name is signed on the bottom of the faxed letter and she says they can't cancel it because all this work is already been done to create the proof and I just have to approve the ad. I very nicely implied that I did say "yes" to the proof but I am unhappy with it and
would like to cancel. Then she passed me on to her manager who says pretty much the same thing and then brings up a recorded phone message where I clearly state to one of there managers that I am only interested in seeing a rough copy proof and am not willing to commit yet.

After the recording is over the Manager i'm now talking to says "so their you have it" and I just replied "there you have what? it sounds to me like like I made it clear i'm not committing to anything" (lol he's now caught red handed) All he says to me after that is "well then you'll have to take it up with our lawyers" and hung up the phone on me.

People like you deserves to have their asses kicked, taking advantage of CHARITIES for your own personal enrichment..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
63 Better Business Complaints filed against Cedar Publishing, 39 of which Cedar never answered, and none that were closed to the satisfaction of the complainant.

Speaks volumes.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yeah.

Ol' Moe is a real choirboy.

I'm sure the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is just piling on to poor, innocent Moe:

Some local community service groups have taken the unusual step of posting warnings that they are not affiliated with an Edmonton-based publishing company.

The Edmonton Food Bank and Crime Stoppers are both warning supporters they no longer have a connection with Cedar Publishing Corporation or its president Moe Najmeddine.

Representatives of the organizations say Cedar at one time had agreements to publish magazines containing articles about their activities, with all money generated from ad sales going to Cedar.

However, concern over aggressive sales pitches for advertising and confusion about who was benefiting from proceeds led them to sever ties with Cedar, they say.

"People started contacting our organization, because they thought that Cedar Publishing was being very aggressive with their sales pitches," said Edmonton Food Bank executive director Marjorie Bencz.

"As well as, people thought directly or indirectly Edmonton's food bank was getting proceeds from the publication, which wasn't the case."

The food bank now has a message on its web site warning that the Alberta Food Bank Network Association, which had an agreement to publish with Cedar, is no longer affiliated with the company, and advertising revenue doesn't benefit the food bank.

Crime Stoppers, which is engaged in a lawsuit with Cedar alleging "misconduct" by the company, says its relationship is also terminated, and Cedar publications titled Crime Stopper Newsmagazine and CSI News have no connection with the agency.

"These publications are NOT affiliated with Crime Stoppers," the web message says. "Advertising in these magazines or with Cedar Publishing Corporation does NOT support Crime Stoppers."
Publisher declined comment

The CBC made repeated attempts to speak with Najmeddine. He declined comment, suggesting he would speak publicly after the lawsuit with Crime Stoppers was settled. Najmeddine denies the Crime Stoppers' claims and is countersuing.

In a copy of a letter from Najmeddine addressed to all Cedar staff and dated June 15, the publisher advises employees not to take negative publicity too seriously. The company isn't "fraudulent" and doesn't operate "in any unethical fashion."

In the letter, Najmeddine shrugs off lawsuits from Crime Stoppers and an earlier one with the City of Edmonton that was dropped in 2007 involving a publication called Edmonton Police Newsmagazine.

"Never once has any one lawsuit been successful against Cedar Publishing, and we have never had a judgment filed against us," the letter says. "They can sue me all they want."
Business owners felt misled

Two Edmonton business owners say they feel they were misled when they purchased ads from Cedar Publishing.
Mike Hatzinikolas, owner of engineering firm Fero Corporation, estimates he bought $12,000 worth of ads in various Cedar publications.

When he discovered through an employee that the magazine proceeds were going to a for-profit company and not helping charities as he had assumed, he telephoned Cedar and told them not to contact him again.

"It's a very difficult situation when you are thinking you are helping people and then you find out they took you for a ride," said Hatzinikolas. "You don't have a very good feeling."

Brian Camenzind, owner of an industrial sharpening and grinding business called European Cutters, said he was approached by a Cedar representative close to Christmas last year.

Camenzind initially agreed to pay $197 for a small ad, but then refused to pay when he learned the publication he was supporting was directing no money to the food bank for their Christmas rush as he had been led to believe.
Despite threats of litigation from Cedar, Camenzind says it's a matter of principle withholding the money.
'Playing on people's hearts'

"To me what it sounds like is, he's (Najmeddine) playing on people's hearts, doing a publication that's making him a profit. And by getting people to advertise under the idea that you're actually advertising for a good thing."

Michelle Brozek, operations manager for the Better Business Bureau in Edmonton, says the bureau has had 48 complaints about Cedar reported in the last 36 months.

They include concerns about high-pressure sales tactics and mistakes in ads.

Anyone concerned they are donating money that isn't getting to the target charity or service group should contact the organization directly to verify, Brozek advises.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm sure Moe has every intention of forming a Dominican corporation so he can legally hire employees in the Dominican Republic?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is hilarious. I went to business school in NY. There is no way I'm working for $125DRP an hour. I'll apply when the salary is $100,000DRP a month, plus bonus, gifts, trips.

let's just say that you will never apply, then. at least, not on those terms.

web

Nov 5, 2005
Please explain to me how they are taking advantage of any charity? The magazine helps educate parents and the community about missing children and abduction as well as advertise photos of missing children and as a matter of fact they have found children because of this publication.

We are not a charity nor are affiliated with any charities

Get your facts right

Really?

ALL those posts and complaints and accusations of fraud are incorrect?

So you ARE Cedar Publishing and you ARE Moe.

Here is one hit when you google "Cedar Publishing Scam:

Yeah, Moe, you're a real sweetheart:

People like you deserves to have their asses kicked, taking advantage of CHARITIES for your own personal enrichment..