Ahnvee Resort email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seven emails received by me from Ahnvee today. I let the first four go. It's ridiculous now. Thank you DR1. Can a Mod inform me how to place Ahnvee on my ignore list? What's next, an Uber ad?

Never got an email from Ahnvee. Curious. Robert has stated that no emails from DR1 members are shared to anyone. So what could it be?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Post #42 in this thread is probably the best explanation we will get.

Ok, yes, Post #42 somewhat explains the situation but not entirely. The information was purchased, great, but from where? And from whom? That is the question at hand. I have not visited Puerto Plata, not to mention any of it's North Coast towns in nine years for vacation purposes. I passed through Cabarete one day with a business client for a bit, and that was it. No credit cards or ATM cards used. A few pesos for some warm beer and we were gone, as quick as we arrived. Nothing signed. Nothing logged on to. I have never utilized POP airport. I don't belong to any single male traveler organizations or websites. My question is a straight forward one, and I am not making accusations by name, because unlike other poster's, I truly don't know. I was looking for some helpful insight in regards to the question, just as some others are.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Your email address gets captured, logged and potentially mined all the time. Every computer that acts a relay for your email on its journey from your desk to its destination has the opportunity to note the origin and destination addresses and add these to a list. Compile a list and offer to sell it, maybe someone is looking to buy something like that.

If you use an offered Claro email address (included with internet plan), then you could be further targeted as at least being somewhere in the DR. Websites that require an email address to login can share/sell email addresses. Some android forums are notorious for this. Lots of site operators want to make a buck and some aren't too particular how they do that.

Nothing on the internet is private and despite the best efforts, personal info is leaked by phone apps, computer apps, websites, company records, stores, banks and the list goes on. If your email starts receiving spam, it's been noted and the only solution is to filter incoming email or change your address.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Your email address gets captured, logged and potentially mined all the time. Every computer that acts a relay for your email on its journey from your desk to its destination has the opportunity to note the origin and destination addresses and add these to a list. Compile a list and offer to sell it, maybe someone is looking to buy something like that.

If you use an offered Claro email address (included with internet plan), then you could be further targeted as at least being somewhere in the DR. Websites that require an email address to login can share/sell email addresses. Some android forums are notorious for this. Lots of site operators want to make a buck and some aren't too particular how they do that.

Nothing on the internet is private and despite the best efforts, personal info is leaked by phone apps, computer apps, websites, company records, stores, banks and the list goes on. If your email starts receiving spam, it's been noted and the only solution is to filter incoming email or change your address.

well there you have it, that explains why I get all the tranny invites

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To add further,

I cannot access T-Mobile from RD, nor E-ZPass NY..... both block my RD address
I have no problems in Canada or the US.

My daughter works in this stuff... internet...
She won't send a credit card number anymore... just verbal on the phone.
And as HRH Prince Charles will tell.... that's not so secure either

They know too much 

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
This is all fine and dandy and I don't dispute it.

Is it then supposed to be a simple coincidence that the only time I used the email address was to register for a site based in the DR and now I'm getting unsolicited email to it from another DR business?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is it then supposed to be a simple coincidence that the only time I used the email address was to register for a site based in the DR and now I'm getting unsolicited email to it from another DR business?

How about this:

You register on a DR website with a unique email address that you will only use for that website. Over time, this DR website sends you email messages, announcing stuff that you might be interested in knowing, either because you asked the site to do this or because it is a default setting.

The website has no control over what route these emails take to get to you. One time an email may be routed through Russia, another time an email may go through Canada, Smuckmagosh Ohio and then through San Francisco before landing in your inbox.

Each hop and there are often a few, may record your email address. Most relays don't care and never look at these logs if they are created at all. But some admins do, why? Only they can say? So even if you haven't sent an email using this unique address, if you have received even just one, that address is out there somewhere.

For me, I can get about 8 months use out of an address before, the signal to noise ratio causes me to change it. I use unique aliases for most websites. My primary alias which everything gets routed to, is eventually discovered by those who make their living doing this type of thing.

It seems all sorts of companies will pay for a list of verified email addresses. Where there is a market for something...

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Sure, it could have happened like that but the coincidence that both entities are in the DR 2 and that in the 6 years since the email address was created there have been no other unsolicited email seems wholly unrealistic.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything but I am very curious how this came to be.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It is very odd indeed...

Are the Emails still coming for you guys ?
Cuz mine stopped, and i made no changes. Which may be even more concerning ... you can read into that what you want ..

i had 4 ,, ,someone else had 7...in one day ..strange coincidences with timelines are piling up

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sure, it could have happened like that but the coincidence that both entities are in the DR 2 and that in the 6 years since the email address was created there have been no other unsolicited email seems wholly unrealistic.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything but I am very curious how this came to be.

What DR site are you refering to? If it's DR1, say it.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
So as far as I know I've never heard of ahnvee resort until today. I went to their site and checked it out in TA, etc. logged back in and there is a banner ad at the top of the forum page.  

I remember some guy wrote in all upset that he just joined the forum and now some adverts for chicas or cabanas were popping up.  He had no clue it was cookies he left all around the Internet. 

If you're getting something for free in the internet You are the product being sold. 

Hardly a conspiracy. It's the way it works. 

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So as far as I know I've never heard of ahnvee resort until today. I went to their site and checked it out in TA, etc. logged back in and there is a banner ad at the top of the forum page.

That's normal if they are using Google Adsense for ads.
We also use Google Adsense to display ads for unsold inventory.

You visited the site, they dropped you a cookie, boom, you get to see their banner on DR1! :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They are scraping sites for registered email addresses, or a bald webmaster is a little low on funds and sold his list to Milka!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
That's normal if they are using Google Adsense for ads.
We also use Google Adsense to display ads for unsold inventory.

You visited the site, they dropped you a cookie, boom, you get to see their banner on DR1! :)

Thank you for explaining that. I am not that computer savvy but I always wondered why when I came on to DR1 (and other sites as well) I would see a banner advertisement for a website I was recently just on...lol. Sorry for going off topic since this is not Ahnvee related.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Stopped cold immediately after I questioned Milka on how/where she got my contact info. She does not even reply now lol

I could not stay there if I wished!

Now I'm back to just one use for my email... :cool:

It is very odd indeed...

Are the Emails still coming for you guys ?
Cuz mine stopped, and i made no changes. Which may be even more concerning ... you can read into that what you want ..

i had 4 ,, ,someone else had 7...in one day ..strange coincidences with timelines are piling up

Status
Not open for further replies.