Amended Bar closing times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Your not in Kansas anymore and you should have left your cultural values at the airport when you arrived.

I have never been to Kansas :).

Rob, you know better than anyone that I dont try to apply my cultural values here. I LOVE "some" of the cultural differences here. Some others I do not. If I didn't like a lot of the cultural difference here, I wouldn't be here.

Last night, we were out having a late dinner and a few drinks at 11 pm....remember??? What if we had been delayed and didn't arrive at that place until a little bit later?

I suspect and hope that you are right about this only lasting a few weeks.

Larry

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The real problem with this decree is that jsut liek every "law" it is interpreted at will by the police and you have no recourse. For instance look at that place in Santiago that was closed even though it had stopped selling alcohol altogether. They should have just said it was going to be a curfew and that was the end of it, because that's what it really is. It wasn't clear enough to begin with..Can restaurants stay open if they don't serve alcohol? Can you as a citizen be on the street after midnight if you don't have alcohol with you? Nobody knows for sure. Only that the cop will decide for this for you. He will decide if you need to go home even if you're just sitting around listening to music and talking with a friend. What about having to explain to the cops what you are doing at that time of the night? If they don't like your explanation your off to jail until you can prove that you're not a criminal...

I agree that anyone who likes this "law" must out of their minds...

I do believe that like Robert said earlier it will change gradually, but in the meantime this will suck big time...

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
well its the end of the so called ammended week of closing times. Anyone want to give us some insight if there are new hours?

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Dear God

Please squash those stupid bar hours.... I will be there shortly and spending my birthday there, and it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to stop drinking at a bar by 2 am..... PLZ PLZ PLZ

Amen

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
Selfish, Selfish, Selfish!

Stupid bar hours, huh!

Do you know anything about any situations in the Dominican Republic? Obviously not since your only concern is what time you have to stop drinking! But for those of us living full time in the Dominican Republic we think it is pretty good that someone is trying to get a handle on the crime so that we can live here peacefully and tourist like yourself can visit here without worry.

Please do a little research before posting remarks that have little or no meaning about the situation at hand.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Drive from Santiago

Hope this isn't too of topic, but I have a question about driving late at night. I'm arriving in to Santiago late and won't be on the road until around midnight. Am I going to have problems getting to my home in Sosua so late? Please no comments about how stupid it is to drive at night, I understand the risks. Just need to know if I'm going to arrested for trying to get home so late.
Thanks!
Jack

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Not a stupid question, I would be wondering the same thing in your situation. I doubt if anyone can give you a definitive answer. Stay in Santiago for one night and travel during the day.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
No Problem

I don't think you will have a problem driving after midnight. A friend of mine went to pick up someone who was arriving on a JetBlue flight at the Santiago airport, which arrives about 3am from JFK. He said he was pulled over once, explained the situation and was waved on.

I have been out here in Santo Domingo after midnight and when pulled over I just tell them I am coming from a friend's house. Other than asking for money for "food," I have not had any problems.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Do you know anything about any situations in the Dominican Republic? Obviously not since your only concern is what time you have to stop drinking! But for those of us living full time in the Dominican Republic we think it is pretty good that someone is trying to get a handle on the crime so that we can live here peacefully and tourist like yourself can visit here without worry.
Hey, only speak for yourself! I live for almost ten years in this country and MY ONLY CONCERN are the stupid bar hours here and the fact that the PLD regime is turning this country into a police state.
But obviously there are people like you who prefer to live in a Trujillo-style country.
Leonel had two years to "get a handle on the crime" but his useless programs like Seguridad Democratica (only result: Politur has some Harley Davidsons now) and the counter-productive disarming of the peaceful part of the population have only led to increased crime rates.

Of course the current curfew reduced crime rates after midnight. On the moon there are low crime rates too. No human beings, no crimes! When there are no humans on the streets there can be no crimes.
Leonel's policy harms tourism, particularly the kind of tourism that spends money outside the AI resorts, which is systematically destroyed by these measures. He also harms a major local industry and creates even more unemployment. And unemployment is certainly one of the reasons for the rise of delinquency.

The curfew may have a temporary effect, but it doesn't solve the problem that the delinquents still have to get money somehow. Or do you seriously think they will now just abandon robbery and get normal jobs? What jobs? In this so called "A?o de la Generaci?n de Empleo" Leonel managed to increase unemployment to a record level.
Soon we will have 100 000 more people without employment due to the curfew. Do you think this will solve the problem? These people is given the choice to steal or to starve to death. What do you think they will do?

I cannot stand this narrow-minded BS anymore about the positive effect of the curfew from the upper class who lives in its own separate world protected by security guards and with planta, air condition and a 30,000 US$ luxury SUV who never leave their mansions after 10:00 pm anyway.

Get out into the real world and look for the happy Dominican faces that are all glad about the curfew according to your opinion.

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
Can it really be that bad ? I Mean by the way you describe it...I'm in NY I haven't been there since this new law went into effect....it sounds awful and scary.This will certainly change my outlook on investments in DR. How can you feel comfortable investing in a country that reminds you of Cuba on its way to communism. I know !!... my family has described this very scene you talk about.

Last edited:

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
Yes narrowminded indeed !! I agree this will only create all of the problems you mentioned. What a narrowminded way for LF to handle this crime issue.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i dont think it is terrible for a tourist to want to enjoy themselves while on vacation.

I feel more for the business owners and employees etc that are losing money etc.

myself..i HAVE options to travel elsewhere...but the folks there dont have the option of getting another job when the restaurants and legit establishements start closing their doors if they arent lucky enought to get a job at an AI.

trust me..this is going to kill toursim once word gets out.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Killing tourism? I doubt it. Tourism mainly takes place inside the AIs. COntrary to one poster's comment about the tourism that takes place outside those walls, well there really isnt much of that, and one could argue that therein lies the problem with the model of tourism adopted here.

Restricted drinking hours have long been a feature of English pub life (a feature I detested) but it didnt kill off social drinking or tourism and it did in fact contribute to a quieter and safer life. I doubt very much that any 11:00 curfew will be imposed or, if imposed, last very long. I am not even sure that the present curfew will last long. As Robert points out, that is how things are done here, when the authorities get fed up with things, they come down hard. Not such a bad idea, either, if those of you who were complaining about the recent spike in crime will reflect that these procedures have led to many arrests and confiscation of weapons and drugs. Hey the days of cepillos are not so lost in the past -- cleaning up the streets in this manner is no surprise at all. By the way, this is not so far from the methods used to clean up NYC under Giuliani. They went after slight infractions in order to trawl for longtime criminals, and it worked, just as it is working here. And yes, there were arbitrary abuses on behalf of the police and there were plenty of impromptu traffic checks and drunks were rousted, and unfortunate members of the middle class who didnt like the rough treatment did complain, and even whole streets were placed under martial law -- none of you remembers any of this? Or do you just remember the results and think of Giuliani as a tough guy who knew how to deal with crime? It wasnt a squeaky clean process,and it is sure to be squeakier here. And as for unhappy dominicans unable to drink at 3am -- oh please. They have all day and night to drink, and they do. They can hardly be said to be suffering.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I agree with Larry

I hope the hours are ammended or even better, that they decide to completely do away with this idea and we can go back to the way things were.

Part of the reason I came here was because the "lack of order" here has a certain appeal to me. My life was so structured before and I felt like I was a robot going through time. Now, I simply feel I have more "room to breathe" than I did back in the USA. Until now.

Having said all that, I was in Boca Chica last week which is place I have only been to 3 or 4 times before. I understand that the "old" Boca Chica was like the wild wild west and that since it was "cleaned up" a year or so ago, it is a different place. Anyway, I drank a bunch of beer and decided I didn't want to drive back to the capital so I got a room for the night. What I saw at midnight scared me. The bars all closed at 12 on the dot and police were all over the street with lights and sirens and bullhorns telling everyone to "get out of the street". By 12:15 there was not a person in the street. Not a motoconcho....nothing. You could hear a pin drop. In reality, there is a curfew imposed there. I don't know if that is happining in other parts of the country but it is an example of the potential and the power they can excercise over you if Lionel or any future predsident sees fit.

For all those who say " I like the new law,I don't drink much anyway. Or I am an early bird anyway so who cares?". Can you all be that narrowminded?

They are randomly stopping cars on independencia in Santo Domingo and searching the occupants now. For all those who don't care about the changes or think they are good, tell me how you feel after your car is pulled over and some illiterate monkey in a uniform is putting his paws all over your girlfriend or wife "looking for drugs" Or going through your pockets, etc.

Welcome to the new Dominican Republic.....Police State.

Larry

Larry and I know each and are from the same area. We both know the "rat race life" we live back in the states and wish to leave it behind. Surely we know that there should be order but not a "police state". 25 years wearing a uniform and I am about to retire. This is NOT what I wanted.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
The hookers are already doing it

Heres a oppertunity for private after hours clubs to open..If such a thing is allowed..BYOB.....If you are not selling alcohol and just set ups...Cola and Ice etc..You would not be breaking the law...Charge an admission fee to cover costs..Like they do in NYC...

Pick out a hooker, go back to her place and bring your friends with their hookers. They are selling Presidents and Brugals out of their hoochies. Guess what? They are not paying sales tax either!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Lot's of money, lot's of hope all for naught?

Many friends of mine have invested a lot of money into bars and I mean tens of thousands of dollars. I just hope for their sake that this doesn't hurt their chances to at least make a little bit of money.

Thank goodness I got into the furniture and electronics business.

Best of luck to you guys!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Curfew is for bars and clubs

Hope this isn't too of topic, but I have a question about driving late at night. I'm arriving in to Santiago late and won't be on the road until around midnight. Am I going to have problems getting to my home in Sosua so late? Please no comments about how stupid it is to drive at night, I understand the risks. Just need to know if I'm going to arrested for trying to get home so late.
Thanks!
Jack

It isn't applicable to driving at night! Jeeeesh it hasn't got that bad........ yet.

Be safe!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
The AI factor?

Hey, only speak for yourself! I live for almost ten years in this country and MY ONLY CONCERN are the stupid bar hours here and the fact that the PLD regime is turning this country into a police state.
But obviously there are people like you who prefer to live in a Trujillo-style country.
Leonel had two years to "get a handle on the crime" but his useless programs like Seguridad Democratica (only result: Politur has some Harley Davidsons now) and the counter-productive disarming of the peaceful part of the population have only led to increased crime rates.

Of course the current curfew reduced crime rates after midnight. On the moon there are low crime rates too. No human beings, no crimes! When there are no humans on the streets there can be no crimes.
Leonel's policy harms tourism, particularly the kind of tourism that spends money outside the AI resorts, which is systematically destroyed by these measures. He also harms a major local industry and creates even more unemployment. And unemployment is certainly one of the reasons for the rise of delinquency.

The curfew may have a temporary effect, but it doesn't solve the problem that the delinquents still have to get money somehow. Or do you seriously think they will now just abandon robbery and get normal jobs? What jobs? In this so called "Año de la Generación de Empleo" Leonel managed to increase unemployment to a record level.
Soon we will have 100 000 more people without employment due to the curfew. Do you think this will solve the problem? These people is given the choice to steal or to starve to death. What do you think they will do?

I cannot stand this narrow-minded BS anymore about the positive effect of the curfew from the upper class who lives in its own separate world protected by security guards and with planta, air condition and a 30,000 US$ luxury SUV who never leave their mansions after 10:00 pm anyway.

Get out into the real world and look for the happy Dominican faces that are all glad about the curfew according to your opinion.

Chasing those stray tourists back into the resorts? The AIs will put a ton of pressure on Leonell to excuse them from this law as they "police themself" and are bascially "private property" anyway. I am not 100% sure of this but it is my guess that this is what will happen if the curfew is not ammended.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Carrying a Gun with a permit

Two of my friends carry guns. One is from a very tough barrio in SD. The other guy is a very respected doctor. It just occured to me, and sorry for my ignorance, but is there a way a person carries a "legal" gun in the DR. ie: a license or permit as a doctor would get one in the U.S.?
If so, if stopped and searched is it a matter of showing the permit and nothing more?
JOHN

Status
Not open for further replies.