American Football in the Dominican Republic

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
There is real foorball here. The LDFA ( Dominican League of American Football ) presently has 5 teams, 4 of which are located in Santo Domingo, and 1 in Santiago. The new season schedule is being planned now, and there will be a series of pre-season games. The next pre-season game will be in the Baranquitas in Santiago on June 5th and will be between the Santiago Eagles and the Oriental Steelers. All are welcome to attend. The regular season will include games in Santiago, Cap Cana, and the Santo Domingo area, with most of the games at the Centro Olympico. You can expect to see some hard hitting. The game has been played here since the 1980"s when the team was known as the Dominican Raiders. I was one of the principal founders of the Raiders, and the head coach from 1983-1987. We wound up being Caribbean champions after winning over the Puerto Rican and Panamanian teams. Anyone wanting more info can e-mail me at AJL6767@aol.com
We are also looking for commercial entities as possible sponsors, since this is an expensive sport, and player's individual resources are limited. We can use all the help we can get.
Art. Levy

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ajl6767, what i would really like to see here is the development of a flag football league. it would be great entertainment, and something for the youth to participate in, on a team basis. yes, we know that there is baseball, but flag is a great game, and enjoys huge popularity in the USA.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
(1) The LDFA does have a flag football program in Santo Domingo, It is run by Giuseppe Polanco, who was a menber of the original Dominican Raiders, and is one of the directors of the LDFA.
(2) I am in Florida right now, recovering from medical issues and do not have the game times. Try calling 809-564-6282 and ask for coach Ross Levy. He can also supply e-mail info for G. Polanco

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The sports facility by UASD and Restaurant Paso Fino...where they have the Expo Cibao...That area is called Las Baranquitas
Aha! Found it, driven by it a couple of times.

Google Earth: 19?25'11.80"N 70?43'57.76"W

Wanna go? Chip? Hillbilly? Don? Aftab? Mike? Anybody else? Let's get a group and tailgate (can you tell I miss live football? :cheeky:)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
thanks for the info, AJL. i will get a hold of this guy who runs the flag program. i will also head to the game in Santiago.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
AJL is still in Florida. I hope to be in the DR and drive up for the game. If I am there, I will be the " old-man" in a Raiders hat. I will not be driving my " cyclone " to the game. For anyone who has questions, I am sure that there will be representatives there from the LDFA.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Potential tailgaters: I have portable tents, tables, chairs, big cooler and a decent grill.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
AJL. i wish you the best of health, and a speedy recovery. after all, anyone in a Raiders hat is one of God?s chosen people. as long as it is the Oakland Raiders, of course.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Sorry to dissapoint you but the "Raiders" stands for the original " Dominican Raiders" whose name has been passed down to the Santo Domingo Raiders.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Yes, I believe there are. I remember well the days of Lamonica,Stabler,Belitnikoff, Blanda, Madden and the rest of the black and silver.I also remember the days when AL Davis would pace the sidelines imn his silver belt buckle. Those, my friend were the days of old style ball..solid hitting..no babying the QB..stickum ( Lester Hayes ) I still have ( in the DR ) a VHS of the superbowl when the raiders scalped the redskins..that was some hell of a game. My team is the Cowboys and I am with them in the good and bad years.My # 2 team is the Jets, and your raiders are my # 3

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
cobraboy reminds

Isn't that the team my Buccaneers whacked in the Super Bowl a while back?

even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut. after that superbowl, has anyone mentioned that team? at least, even when the Raiders are passing through lean times, they are interesting. hey, we had the Tooz...John Matuzak. we had Lester Hayes. we had Otis Sistrunk, from the University of Mars. Lyle Alzado..the Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks ..Cliff Branch, and many others too numerosu to mention. who played for Tampa Bay?..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
we had the Tooz...John Matuzak
My college teammate.

the gorgon said:
we had Lester Hayes. we had Otis Sistrunk, from the University of Mars. Lyle Alzado..the Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks ..Cliff Branch, and many others too numerosu to mention. who played for Tampa Bay?..
Warren Sapp, Mr. Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Keyshawn Johnson, Simeon Rice, Ronde Barber and Mike Alstott.

All outstanding players.

BTW, when is game time on the 5th?