AMET retained my licence, I drove away

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I remember 5 years ago my wife telling me AMET are the only ones that u cant bribe...... times have changed......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember 5 years ago my wife telling me AMET are the only ones that u cant bribe...... times have changed......

We just had that discussion a couple of days ago at our house. Apparently the guy who originally ran AMET left/quit/fired, I'm told he was the one who kept them honest. Once he left, all the discipline evaporated.

Reuhaa

Jan 15, 2008
For that reason I copied both sides of my drivers , liscence and laminated them together, looks like the real thing and I keep that in my jeep and my real liscence at home in my safe.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
. . .Apparently the guy who originally ran AMET left/quit/fired, I'm told he was the one who kept them honest. Once he left, all the discipline evaporated.

A.E.: that was the military man Candelier, a stout PRDista that Leonel appointed in his first half term that was given to him by Balaguer. Candelier's mandate was to form AMET outside the PN.

Candelier started by hiring part time university kids. He uniformed them, drilled them and taught them manners. Those kids wore squared away Smokey the Bear hats with chin straps, creased pants and erect spines. When they stopped you they were the soul of courtesy, no bribes, no hustles, just efficiency with a smile. They represented their country superbly when a foreigner either needed help or committed an infraction. The fact that they were university students raised the standards for police and instituted defacto term limits on them The fact that they were part time and term limited increased their numbers, multiplying the value of their training to the nation's future. Candelier/Leonel, whoever, it was pure genius.

The PN on the other hand had a bunch of pot bellied thugs patrolling the roads, but Candelier replaced them all in pretty short order with the AMET which was outside their chain of command.

When Hippolito came along Candelier was out, and one of the first things Hippolito did was move AMET over to the PN chain of command. It wasn't two years before the pot bellies were back, and if any of those fine looking kids stayed in the force they must have been school dropouts. A great shame.

But it proved one thing: a disciplined mano duro like Candelier, softened by a still inchoate civil authority such as Leonel then, can accomplish wonders here — if only the will exists.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
What do you mean "tow" in pop they jump in your car or on your bike and you have to drive them to the station or tow yard .

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Castle, end the story. Tell us what is happening. This is better than AS THE WORLD TURNS(a soap that was on at one time)

LTSTeve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A.E.: that was the military man Candelier, a stout PRDista that Leonel appointed in his first half term that was given to him by Balaguer. Candelier's mandate was to form AMET outside the PN.

Yes!! That's the name, I drew a complete blank when I tried to remember it. Thanks.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Castle, end the story. Tell us what is happening. This is better than AS THE WORLD TURNS(a soap that was on at one time)

LTSTeve

I went to Banreservas to pay the fine. No can do, because I don't have the ticket. They said I must go to Amet headquarters to get some document that will allow me to pay at the bank. Sounds fishy. The saga continues.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I went to Banreservas to pay the fine. No can do, because I don't have the ticket. They said I must go to Amet headquarters to get some document that will allow me to pay at the bank. Sounds fishy. The saga continues.

No, that's standard procedure when it's related to using cell phone. You first need to go to the Amet office to get permission to pay. Only when it's a ticket for using your phone.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
He would have made a good President

If you think that, then you would probably love General Rafael Percival, he's declared for 2016, and has joined up with PRD. He's tough and honest.

[video=youtube;zpwkkElWKoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwkkElWKoU[/video]

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He once tried...

He competed with Soto Jimenez to get Chavez's support in 2008. Chavez chose to support Leonel instead, so Candelier and Soto all but dropped from elections.
According to wilkileaks, the US consider Candelier very corrupt and violent. He supported Hipolito in 2012. Enough said.

Yes, he would have been a good president, at least he had the basic tools, as we can see.

By the way, Candelier was not the founder of Amet. He was only its third director, and most likely who damaged it. Check here:

Ex-Directores | Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Next time.....

Bribery-article-620x349.jpg

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I followed a combination of them. I checked AMET web site, I talked to someone inside AMET, I plan to get a duplicate tomorrow (after payinf the fine) and I have a lawyer on call if anything goes wrong. I truly thank of all you guys for your sound advices. I'll ley you know when I have my licence again.

Huh. Sound advise on DR1. Who'd a thunk it?

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013

Uh oh. Cavity search straight ahead...

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004

LTSTeve

This brought a smile to my face, my great-aunt by marriage was the actress that played Nancy Hughes on that show. She used to show her nephew the progress she was making on the needlepoint of his fraternity by having it used as a prop in the show. She took us to the Rainbow Room our first visit to New York and was such a gracious lady.

edited for DR content: glad that things seems to be working out for the op