An open e-mail to a DR1 poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
prophecy

of course rafael would pay his maid 20.000 pesos a month and she'd share the story of "gringo estupido, tiene mucho dinero" in her barrio which would be overheard by some tigre who'd break into the house, steal everything and then rafael will say: "hell, this country is so dangerous, AIs are only safe place to be!".
:cheeky:
see, i speak some spanish too! ;)

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
After reading the DR,s Character Assassination thread I think the Keith he is refering to is KeithF.
Its not me.
All I have to say on the matter is that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think it is very arrogant to visit a country less than a dozen times and assume you know more about it than people who have lived there for years. How long was each visit ? For the past 4 years I have visited DR 2 or 3 times a year usually for 6 or 8 week visits, I think I know a little about the country but would never presume to know better than someone who has lived there for years, thats why I like DR1 and sometimes ask questions which will usually be answered by very experienced DR1 members.

Just in case I dont post again this year.
A Happy and Prosperous New Year to all DR1 members.

Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I have to agree with KeithUK. I am married to a dominicana, have many Dominican friends and family, have gone there nearly every yr since 1986, and lived in SD four years in the late 1990s, but I still learn new things and gain new perspectives all the time here on DR1. That's the board's value -- pooled and shared experience, seeing the country through many sets of eyes and lenses.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
of course rafael would pay his maid 20.000 pesos a month and she'd share the story of "gringo estupido, tiene mucho dinero" in her barrio which would be overheard by some tigre who'd break into the house, steal everything and then rafael will say: "hell, this country is so dangerous, AIs are only safe place to be!".
see, i speak some spanish too! ;)

Oh, the irony!

And Rafael would lament, "Why me? I was so generous and kind to them and they treat me like that!"

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
oh my - avacardo syndrome - how funny.

But to be honest - we have all done that once or twice??

What ever happened to him???

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Oops!

After reading the DR,s Character Assassination thread I think the Keith he is refering to is KeithF.
Its not me.

Sorry KeithUK, I guess I was thrown off by the talk about the UK and the name Keith! I surely did not mean harm by it - I should have said "I am guessing it is"... instead of "I believe it is..."

Sorry to KeithR as well, didn't mean to give you false information!!!:ermm:

Wow, I am batting a thousand today!:tired:

Have a wonderful weekend!

Marlie

C

Chip00

Raffy

FYI - We pay our maid RD4000 a month, which, according to my wife's family is too much. By the way my wife's family are typical Dominicans of "few" material resources. Also, I'm a gringo and I speak Spanish relatively well as it is understood by most and I understand most things spoken to me.

I don't believe the problems in this country are due to foreigners like ourselves. As far as the "perceived corrupted government" If you would take some time to read the forums on this site you would learn how the government really robs the people here AND they can be backed up with news articles from the Dominican press in Spamish.

Also, you say you "speak spanish and I'm a very, very open and friendly person" but that with the statement about the "perceived corrupted government" lead me to one of the following conclusions.

1. You speak Spanish but don't "understand" it.
2. You speak Spanish but haven't actually talked to any "real" Dominicans on your visits here.

If you want to talk to some "real" Dominicans about how things really are down here send me a PM and I'll be glad to set something up.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ah, but it IS your Birthday today & you WERE at a heavy do last night!!!!!

Happy Birthday 'me old China' :bunny: - you don't look a day older than when we first met 13.9 years ago at Puerto Plata Village!! ~ Grahame

Thank you Grahame - such kind words, they brought a smile to my face (although it hurts to smile!) ;)

Yes, I guess it is a combination of last night and old age that made me post erronously ( did I even spell that right? LOL) :cheeky:

Sorry, now better not hijack this thread ... back to topic!

Marlie

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Interestng thread, however I am compeled to correct Grahame. If you are talking to a mulitude of people the correct term is not Have a nice day Y'all ~ , but "have a nice day all Y'all.

Bob K

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Interesting thread, however I am compelled to correct Grahame. If you are talking to a mulititude of people the correct term is not Have a nice day Y'all ~ , but "have a nice day all Y'all".

Bob K
I be standed corrected Sor (He says, doffing cap!!) - I always be prepared to learn from my aged peers!!
(PS. I have taken the liberty of correcting the spelling above too!! :cheeky: )

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe he should come and visit us in santiago, not only we will give him a real tour of real dominicans, but we will teach him some real dominican spanish as well. Many expats are surprised to see how we have integrated so well with the real dominicans and how we share an indepth knowledge of real dominican culture. Santiago expats never complain about dominicans worshipping the witchcraft, we never say, "Oh, dominicans never read a book", we are not the ones with homes broken into and expats being killed, we don't ask our maids for current affairs in the town, we are not the ones who are getting into trouble with the police and we certainly not marrying hookers or dating hotel workers. The real dominican republic is in cibao and the capital. rafael, come to santiago to learn about what this country is all about. You will be intimidated by our knowledge and experience. I promise.
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.