another expat murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Most of those "Eastern Europeans" you're talking about are from developing countries. Puh-lease. :bored:

Yes, they are. But it is only us who know the difference. For Dominicans they look exactly the same like people from West Europe , USA and Canada. And they used to expect from them the behavior accordingly.

The revelation that the foreigners do not require respect and healthy obedience any longer was a cultural shock for the Dominicans themselves. They lost their role models - the goal to reach and aspire.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Isn't a strange though that the westerners in their country don't hang out with the "lower class" back home but here they do?
They completely forget that the society here is a dog eat dog one and therefore get into trouble.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
Good post Afgan. However there is somebody reading this and they are now thinking I can't walk down a street in DR because I will be eaten. No that doesn't happen, a girl reading this will think "oh no, my butt is going to get grabbed walking down the street. No that doesn't just happen. Dominican women walk down the street all the time and that doesn't happen to them. Don't behave like you're a tourist, don't act sloppy. Just relax and don't with respect and cordiality. If your going to hook up with someone, don't go for the lower end, unless your introduced to them by somebody you trust. Here, it's all about circles of trust and friendship. You don't just let someone, anyone into your circle here. They have to be weighed, measured and not found wanting.

Mar 1, 2009
I think it was cobraboy who wrote once: "You gotta have balls to live here". If you go out to the countryside it's not that bad, but you still gotta watch your back. You gotta watch your back anywhere, and of course I mean that in degree's. I work in Miami Beach when I am in the States. I see people, young lady and young men who I'm sure would behave quite prudently at home, acting quite outrageously here. Also business men and women who you wouldn't think would consume certain pharmecutical items come right up to me and ask me for said things. If I was a thug I could set them up and send them somewhere to get mugged, kinda like what happens in DR.
People see the palm tree's, the heat, the smiles, the hot women, the booze and they think wow I got all this money, I am a foreigner I can do anything. No, you gotta watch out and be aware, be alert, be prepared.
Do people stop coming to South Beach inspite of all the drugs, sex and violence? No and they won't stop coming to DR either, but concerning both locales one must have a care and not get into deep with the wrong people.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think it was cobraboy who wrote once: "You gotta have balls to live here". If you go out to the countryside it's not that bad, but you still gotta watch your back. You gotta watch your back anywhere, and of course I mean that in degree's. I work in Miami Beach when I am in the States. I see people, young lady and young men who I'm sure would behave quite prudently at home, acting quite outrageously here. Also business men and women who you wouldn't think would consume certain pharmecutical items come right up to me and ask me for said things. If I was a thug I could set them up and send them somewhere to get mugged, kinda like what happens in DR.
People see the palm tree's, the heat, the smiles, the hot women, the booze and they think wow I got all this money, I am a foreigner I can do anything. No, you gotta watch out and be aware, be alert, be prepared.
Do people stop coming to South Beach inspite of all the drugs, sex and violence? No and they won't stop coming to DR either, but concerning both locales one must have a care and not get into deep with the wrong people.

I agree Lando. However, I think if people keep on hearing about murders in the DR, they are going to start look for safer place to vacation in (I am aware these were expat buts I don't think people will make the distinction, they think expat=foreigner).

Most tourist don't mind the sex, drugs, but violence ? if it's directed toward them...don't think so, they will pass.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Good post Afgan. However there is somebody reading this and they are now thinking I can't walk down a street in DR because I will be eaten. No that doesn't happen, a girl reading this will think "oh no, my butt is going to get grabbed walking down the street. No that doesn't just happen. Dominican women walk down the street all the time and that doesn't happen to them. Don't behave like you're a tourist, don't act sloppy. Just relax and don't with respect and cordiality. If your going to hook up with someone, don't go for the lower end, unless your introduced to them by somebody you trust. Here, it's all about circles of trust and friendship. You don't just let someone, anyone into your circle here. They have to be weighed, measured and not found wanting.

Great points.

Everyone visiting should realize this and adhere to it or otherwise just stay at an AI. As for folks living there who have lived as an ex-pat in other Caribbean/ LA countries, there's a whole other set of more intricate rules that apply and they should already be familiar with these.

I was with you right up until that movie quote

It is that he was having sexual relation with another woman. that could also be the motif since some foreigners think that they can take whichever woman they want. be really careful when doing that because you could get kill anywhere for that.

You havent been in DR for long have you?? Everyone is doing someone might as well get in the ball game.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Isn't a strange though that the westerners in their country don't hang out with the "lower class" back home but here they do?
They completely forget that the society here is a dog eat dog one and therefore get into trouble.

I can't speak for most "Westerners" but I not only "hang out" with the "lower class" back home. I am related to a few. I live in a World where Cops and Criminals, Heroes and Cowards, Saints and Sinners are very likely to come from similar if not the same circumstances, neighborhoods and backgrounds.

It's not the "class", it's what's inside the person that makes the difference.

Who can forget Billy Carter, the hapless alcoholic brother of President Jimmy Carter or Roger Clinton, the drug addled ex-convict brother of President Bill Clinton or Neil Bush of S&L crisis fame and Marvin Bush (Securacom/Stratasec Director of the company providing secrity to WTC right up until the day the buildings came down), both brothers of President GW Bush and offspring of President GHW Bush.

Sometimes the fruit does fall far from the tree and I would never discount the integrity, loyalty or trustworthiness of a local because they come from some "lower class". You start learning how to stay out of trouble the minute you start realizing that you don't run tings. Be "good people" and you will attract "good people".

Normally they do not reveal these things to gringos. A correct gringo must be soft, relaxed, and unsuspicious.

What in the name of God are you smoking??????to be soft in DR is to be a victim, You must be strong and vigilant and suspicious of everyone, Trust but verify my friend. Speak softly but carry a big stick. I am not advocating being a trouble maker but if you are soft everyone will walk all over you. Walk tall be confident and you will have little or no problems.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yes, they are. But it is only us who know the difference. For Dominicans they look exactly the same like people from West Europe , USA and Canada. And they used to expect from them the behavior accordingly.

The revelation that the foreigners do not require respect and healthy obedience any longer was a cultural shock for the Dominicans themselves. They lost their role models - the goal to reach and aspire.

You gotta to be kidding about that one really :tired:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
badpiece, i especially love the part about "healthy obedience". sounds like something from a 5th century manuscript.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
any insight into why this man would have given up his Dutch NATIONALITY as well as his residency? Or am misreading the google translation.....

reminds me a bit of the jimmy buffett song

down to the banana republic

Down to the Banana Republic
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated Americans
Hoping to find some fun

Some of them go for the sailn'
Called by the lure of the sea
Trying to find what is ailing
From living in the land of the free

Some of them are running from lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganga
Some are running from the IRS

And late at night you will find them
In the cheap hotels & bars
Hustling the senoritas while they dance beneath the stars

Spending those renegade pesos
On a bottle of rum & a lime
Singing, give me some words I can dance to
Or a melody that rhymes

First you learn the native customs
Soon a word of Spanish or two
But you know that you cannot trust them
Cause they know they can't trust you

Expatriated Americans feeling so all alone
Telling themselves the same lies
That they told themselves back home
Down to the Banana Republic things aren't as warm as they seem
When none of the natives are buying any second hand American dreams

(I am going to hold myself back from getting into the one about how the Americans ruined everything.----because we were more generous than the Europeans?????)

anyway all those single guys in their 50s and 60s and up who are coming here for the 20 year olds--- do we really consider them ex pats? I think that the suggestion was made for "sexpat" ---- no?

RD-Guy

Sep 25, 2010
Wow this story worries me... I'm nowhere near an expat but is one to assume that any foreinger living in the DR is a target for murder? Unless of course he was involved in criminal activity... Why would there be rumors? That's really scary...

I have lived here 16 years and have never felt threatned until I got involved with a woman who has a scary dark side.
There is a new breed of criminals and have grown up with no morals and are willing to do anything to get easy money.

The chulos/pimps control these girls and when they don't produce enough cash or assets in a given amount of time or the "Mark" realizes he is in danger they will do anything to preserve their livilihood.

My advice is be careful and "If it smells bad run away and don't look back"

My condolences to the friends and family of this victim of a horrible crime.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A correct gringo must be soft, relaxed, and unsuspicious.
What country do you live in?

Those things scream "pre-victim" to bad guys.

You think locals act soft here? That's the one thing they DON'T act.

Folks here do NOT act soft, and neither should you. Don't be flashy, rude and arrogant, but don't act meekly for sure.

Dress conservatively, don't wear bling, keep your money hidden, don't be drunk in public, don't hang with barrio rats/tigeures and walk tall. Those things will reduce your potential victinhood substantially.

Reactions: badpiece33
I have lived here 16 years and have never felt threatned until I got involved with a woman who has a scary dark side.
There is a new breed of criminals and have grown up with no morals and are willing to do anything to get easy money.

The chulos/pimps control these girls and when they don't produce enough cash or assets in a given amount of time or the "Mark" realizes he is in danger they will do anything to preserve their livilihood.

My advice is be careful and "If it smells bad run away and don't look back"

My condolences to the friends and family of this victim of a horrible crime.

Lesson learned stay away from girls with chulos or pimps!!! Find a nice family girl and you will have no such problems.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
anyway all those single guys in their 50s and 60s and up who are coming here for the 20 year olds--- do we really consider them ex pats? I think that the suggestion was made for "sexpat" ---- no?
"Sexpat" :cheeky:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You gotta to be kidding about that one really :tired:
Nope, he's not.

Once upon a time gringos were respected greatly because they represented things Dominicans didn't have. And the PN and Politur reinforced it. Used to be messing with a tourist was a sure-fire way to get your butt beat.

Reactions: SantiagoDR
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
any insight into why this man would have given up his Dutch NATIONALITY as well as his residency? Or am misreading the google translation.....
The Google translation was wrong, he was Belgium by birth but it was never mentioned whether he gave up his citizenship. Reckon that nobody in his right mind would want to give up his western passport for a Dominican one;)

Status
Not open for further replies.