another expat murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
any insight into why this man would have given up his Dutch NATIONALITY as well as his residency? Or am misreading the google translation.....
The Google translation was wrong, he was Belgium by birth but it was never mentioned whether he gave up his citizenship. Reckon that nobody in his right mind would want to give up his western passport for a Dominican one;)

so what was the bit where the family said that they were having trouble repatriating the body?

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
the Americans ruined everything.----because we were more generous than the Europeans?????)

?

Paradoxically - it is! They respect europeos higher b`cause they do not tip.

And not us - heavy tippers on all imagineable occasions. They see tipping as a sure sign of unsecurity ( and they are 100% correct. By tipping most of us US try to make up for a very limited travel-international experience and poor knowleadge of foreign languages.Instead we try to impress with unrealistic tipping - sometimes as high as 20%-25% of the cost of service received.)

RD-Guy

Sep 25, 2010
Lesson learned stay away from girls with chulos or pimps!!! Find a nice family girl and you will have no such problems.

Advice taken:

Been their done that " the nice family girl" The family was nice but the girl not so nice...

"No Country for Old Men"

or perhaps

"Eyes Wide Shut"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Paradoxically - it is! They respect europeos higher b`cause they do not tip.

And not us - heavy tippers on all imagineable occasions. They see tipping as a sure sign of unsecurity ( and they are 100% correct. By tipping most of us US try to make up for a very limited travel-international experience and poor knowleadge of foreign languages.Instead we try to impress with unrealistic tipping - sometimes as high as 20%-25% of the cost of service received.)

REALLY?

I have pretty broad international travel experience

so I do not give the extra 10% (on top of what is on the bill) out of insecurity but as an acknowledgement of good service-- AND of the fact that I assume that waiters and such are not paid very much but survive on tips.

20% is a pretty standard tip in good restaurants in the States-----

I do not think it unrealistic

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
REALLY?

I have pretty broad international travel experience

so I do not give the extra 10% (on top of what is on the bill) out of insecurity but as an acknowledgement of good service-- AND of the fact that I assume that waiters and such are not paid very much but survive on tips.

20% is a pretty standard tip in good restaurants in the States-----

I do not think it unrealistic

Correct. B`cause in the States we are trained to pay/tip not for an outstanding and unique but regardless - to assume that the sticker price (in the menu card) is just a trick, soda game.

For Euros price is price. They buy a loaf of bread or a plate of pasta and pay THE PRICE. With no mind deviations.

Anyway try to stop tipping for a while and act like a Euro and you`ll notice a big diff respect wise. You will be the Mastah again. Not a "cool buddy-fellah".

I do not know what is worse or better. I just know that they worship non-tippers in higher respect than those overweight money sowers.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Anyway try to stop tipping for a while and act like a Euro and you`ll notice a big diff respect wise. You will be the Mastah again. Not a "cool buddy-fellah".

I do not know what is worse or better. I just know that they worship non-tippers in higher respect than those overweight money sowers.

You think this dead dude tipped too much?

What a bunch of drivel.

Reactions: MikeFisher

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

so what was the bit where the family said that they were having trouble repatriating the body?

The guy was a Belgian native.

The guy moved to Netherland Antilles where he and his family lived and established (Dutch) permanent residency.

The guy later moved to the Dominican Republic to establiash permanent residency there, forfeiting his Dutch residency permit.

The family still lives in the Netherland Antilles. Apparently the fact that he had forfeited his residency there created problems for his kinfolk's attempt to ship his corpse back into the country for burial.

After keeping my Father's ashes for 10 years I brought them (in checked luggage) to the DR and ceremoniously scattered them into the sea. I had researched the TSA guidelines and there is nothing prohibiting this. The urn was held up in customs for a couple days but was released, still sealed. It was his last X-ray exam.

Maybe they should consider cremation. He won't feel a thing.

Reactions: mountainannie

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Correct. B`cause in the States we are trained to pay/tip not for an outstanding and unique but regardless - to assume that the sticker price (in the menu card) is just a trick, soda game.

For Euros price is price. They buy a loaf of bread or a plate of pasta and pay THE PRICE. With no mind deviations.

I don't know if there's a difference in minimum wages of servers in the DR from other vocations but in the US it's about half the standard minimum wage. The IRS "assumes" standard gratuity of 8% and taxes these servers accordingly which is why server #s are identified on bar and restaraunt receipts. If we tip less than 8% these servers actually lose money on the deal.

I don't know for sure that it works differently in the DR so I take no chances and tip according to the level of service which is usually far better than can be expected in the US.

If a server thinks less of me for it then the problem rests with them and not me. I don't see them running past my table to go and serve Australians and they're even worse tippers than Germans.

I don't think the shine came off the gringo armor because of tipping. The Chulo did it. The only thing that acting like "the Mastah" will get you is extra lumps in your porridge. :paranoid:

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

Hmm. Well maybe you can explain why Europeans are constantly getting killed, robbed, or scammed in the DR. With the exception of the lawyer who was murdered in his villa not too long ago, the majority of the victims of the violent crimes that have been making recent headlines have been europeans. But I don't have to tell you this, as you've "personally witnessed 100s of murders" during your time there.

Maybe it's because a good many share your view, and come to the DR expecting to be "The Mastah" and be held in awe as "role models".* What a joke.:cheeky:

I can personally do without the "higher respect" that some europeans* have been receiving from dominicans lately.

Vince.

*I'm well aware that Afgan doesn't speak for all europeans, or their experiences in the DR.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
so what "nice family girl" is going to hook up with a foreigner twice or three times her age?

who has given up his nationality?

why would you give up your nationality?

To use your pilot license on a professional basis here you need to offer up nationality. Although I know one guy who found a way around this, but back in the day when we were loved and valued and respected, not barely tolerated by the mass who don't know us and hated by those worse off and refuse to better themselves. I always get mistaken for an American, you would be surprised how many Dominicans think England is in the USA after a few beers, impress me with name dropping Arnie, Rambo, scar face as if they were my neighbours. Leaves them a bit stumped when I explain nothing American impresses me, and they automatically begin to tell me bow much they detest the USA in reality. This isn't an educated hatred, it is the view of those who think the rest of the world is American and the real feelings they have against things they don't understand, equally the same as those who hate Haitians but when confronted (as I always do on the Haitian issue) have absolutely no knowledge of why they do, only that someone else said they take their jobs, therefor their money, and equally feel because some expats have more, we have taken it from them. Obviously most of the time this is BS, but ignorance and jealousy is a dangerous combination.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Well I have no desire to be "The Mastah"

I remember when I first came here and a guide in the Zona said "We like Americans "

And I was a bit astonished since it was 2004 and NO ONE much liked Americans (even lots of Americans) so I asked him why

And he replied

"You are kind people. You are not like the Europeans. They come here and treat us like Africans."

So

I will continue to "overtip"

Somehow, I do not think that that custom will lead to my murder.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I doubt tipping is much to do with murder, I don't tip unless at a resaurant and am given super service, but I am European so...... Point is my lass wouldn't tip, Dominicans don't tip much, moved here, live among them 100% and so why would I act differently, seems backwards in moving forwards. I'm not on vacation.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I doubt tipping is much to do with murder, I don't tip unless at a resaurant and am given super service, but I am European so...... Point is my lass wouldn't tip, Dominicans don't tip much, moved here, live among them 100% and so why would I act differently, seems backwards in moving forwards. I'm not on vacation.

Is this really true?

I am talking of restuarants where you are sitting at a table -- paying $1000 or more?

I do not tip if I am in a comedor---

but a restaurant? REALLY?

Dominicans do not tip above the 10% included in the bill?}

(Sorry.. this should be another thread--- could the mods move it, please? I do not want to hijack this one about the poor man's death)

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Sad to learn another person killed.

Propina..

I usually don?t tip when I?m in Europe either, because the service is usually schit, and I for sure don?t tip if I buy bread at the supermarket or gas at the gas station. I will be heading out for some seafood and beer tonight, in the DR, and I know I will add on at least 10% probably 15% I know the service will be fine. Tips is for the service, poor service no tips. And BTW I?m European, extensive travel experience five legal residencies last 20 years, did my "Globetrotter 101" 30 years ago.

Reactions: corsair74
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I'm about to confuse you with some facts. For those unaccustomed to facts please turn your head now:

1. The guy was a Citizen of Belgium but lived in The Netherlands since he was 14 years old.

2. Up until early retirement in 2009 he was a system administrator at ESTEC (European Space Technology Enterprise Center) where he made good money (all salaries are exempt from taxation).

3. After early retirement he retired to the DR, where he met a new lover Suny (29), while still married to July Nunez (that marriage was a paper marriage only at that time).

4. He was found quartered and burnt on a garbage dump site in the DR.

Reactions: Africaida

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm about to confuse you with some facts. For those unaccustomed to facts please turn your head now:

1. The guy was a Citizen of Belgium but lived in The Netherlands since he was 14 years old.

2. Up until early retirement in 2009 he was a system administrator at ESTEC (European Space Technology Enterprise Center) where he made good money (all salaries are exempt from taxation).

3. After early retirement he retired to the DR, where he met a new lover Suny (29), while still married to July Nunez (that marriage was a paper marriage only at that time).

4. He was found quartered and burnt on a garbage dump site in the DR.

You're right. After a reread he wasn't in NA he was in Holland before retiring to the DR.

I guess he wasn't so familiar with Caribbean customs and courtesy after all, not that it matters in this case.

My bad. Thanks for the correction

The body was probably dismembered not out of spite but out of necessity to disguise it with trash (probably left in garbage bags in a dumpster). This was no random crime but a planned act of murder and disposition of the evidence. This was real personal.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

The deceased is Belgium was registered as living in the Netherlands but when moving to the DR he had given notice to the Dutch authorities that he was leaving so he was unregistered. This meaning that the Dutch are not responsible anymore and she has to go through the Belgium system.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The guy was a Belgian native.

The guy moved to Netherland Antilles where he and his family lived and established (Dutch) permanent residency.

The guy later moved to the Dominican Republic to establiash permanent residency there, forfeiting his Dutch residency permit.

The family still lives in the Netherland Antilles. Apparently the fact that he had forfeited his residency there created problems for his kinfolk's attempt to ship his corpse back into the country for burial.

After keeping my Father's ashes for 10 years I brought them (in checked luggage) to the DR and ceremoniously scattered them into the sea. I had researched the TSA guidelines and there is nothing prohibiting this. The urn was held up in customs for a couple days but was released, still sealed. It was his last X-ray exam.

Maybe they should consider cremation. He won't feel a thing.

The deceased lived in Oestgeest, his daughter lives in Noordwijk that's Holland main land. No where it was mentioned that he lived in the Antilles.

Status
Not open for further replies.