any one have any good domincan recipes

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Okay, sorry, I totally took it the wrong way. I thought you were saying 99% don't know anything about cooking.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
A tip for rice...

Don't ever let a Dominican see you cooking rice without cleaning (picking out blackish rice) it very thoroughly and washing it. Also, when preparing rice, don't use too much water (about 1 & 2/3 cup water to 1 cup uncooked rice), and use enough salt. Rice that isn't salty enough just doesn't taste good to them. Finally, when the rice is done cooking, until it is ready to be eaten, put a piece of plastic (a piece of a plastic bag will do) in-between the pot and the lid...they say this keeps the rice from drying out. To tell you the truth, I couldn't tell you if it helps or not.

Cooking rice is an art to Dominicans, I think. My husband doesn't like Chinese food because, quote, "The Chinese don't know how to cook rice". Is that the funniest thing you've ever heard???

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Habichuela con dulce

are Pinto Beans, Past thru a stainner, with raisen sweet pototoes, a coconut milk.are those the ones you are looking for.?

Arroz con pollo, can be imporved by adding different kinds of pepers, and plenty of cilantro, and don't forget some crem of chicken soup, forget the malageta, this is an aquire taste.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Hillbilly.
You have created a big san cocho.with your 99% theory,but its all a hill of beans to me.
My wife is one of the 84000.but then again i'm a Scot and the percenatge in U.K is .01111111 are good cooks.
Unless you can call beans on toast a gourmet meal,but you would have to ask mame about that.

Regards Terry

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
mariaobetsanov , You and I agree on this one. My mother has always used Pinto beans and i have always loved her habichuelas con dulce. Small red beans seem to need too much time to get really soft, but maybe i've just been unlucky with them. Kidney and Romano beans we have not used. Another good choice that I think could work is the small pink beans. I have used these to make regular beans and they have come out very nicely plump and soft. Somthing else you can try is to leave some of the beans whole and add it to the puree near the end of cooking. I personally dont like too have just bean liquid. Also make sure that the batata has a good consistency. You dont want to overcook it to the point that it becomes noodle soft. I will run the bean experiment and make the dulce with several of these and see which one my little daughter likes best!!

Trina: good tips on cooking rice. Most dominicans I know dont add as much water as you usually find listed in recipes. Another thing to remember about rice is not to stir it too much (if at all!!) while its cooking. This can release too much of the starch and make it too sticky. I'm not familiar with the plastic theory though. I agree with your husband about Chinese rice.

HB, peace.

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
I also have used the plastic bag method!!!!! But what I have done is when my boyfriend isnt here when I cook I dont put it on and then I ask him , how does it taste and he says good like (like always) so i have taken that out of my cookin process!!!

I also agree with the chinese rice, it has no salt in it and they only boil it.

Can anyone tell me how to make a dominicn cake?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Maria and Mondongo, thanks for the hab con dulce tips, I really couldn't imagine using kidney beans, they just don't taste right to me. Maybe I'll make it tonight.

Jessica, are you talking about flan?

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
no, I dont know what it is called I know it is dominican cake? I heard there is nothing like it. Or mabey he was talking about a cake shop in higuey?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Speaking of Natasha does anyone know where she is? I do miss her posts.
Speaking of cook books I love looking at the pictures getting inspired then I do it my way. LOL. Everyone loves my lasagna but I don't have a receipe and my mother didn't teach me. She didn't do lasagna. Cakes and cookies are the only things I follow a receipe for. I'm trying to add different things to muffins without the fats. Some are good some are not. :)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I miss Natasha, too. I haven't seen a post from her all year. There is nothing like flan, Jessica. It's a kind of carmelized egg cake that is kind of tricky to make, but tastes better than tiramisu (sorry Anna for my butcher spelling, I know you're Italian, and I don't have a clue how to spell it!). We're going to have to get out to Guelph someday for lasagne...I love lasagne, but could never cook it like an Italian.

BTW, pics of Angelo are up...did you see them?

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/9262/index.html

What a cutie pie...he's such a good boy.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What a good looking boy Trina. Didn't see any new ones of the baby. Yes come to Guelph and you can watch me make lasagna. By the way I think every Italian makes it different. While you're here you can teach me how to make Dominican food. I have tried every kind of rice but I find the easiest is uncle ben's converted rice. Never went wrong with it but what do I know about rice. I have friends from Iraq that wash and fry the rice before they add the water. Never did understand that. The dolma tastes good but never made it. Too much work rolling all those little leaves. Any way need to get into doing some Dominican cooking before you and Angel get here.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Yes, he is a sweetie.

It's a date, we'll teach you, and you can teach us.

BTW, many Dominicans wash the rice and then fry it, thus making concon, which is like the best part of rice.

I actually use Safeway brand, find it cooks great and is usually the cleanest.

PS
no new pics of Dominic yet because my Kodak photo CD won't play for some reason in my computer, have to try it on my sister's computer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Re think your rice.

The Chinese insist on washing the rice until the water is clear. Of course you remove all the burnt grains.

They use just a tad more water than rice; ie., 2 cups of rice uses two cups + just a squidgen of water-add salt... Heat until hard boil with heavy bubbles, cover, lower fire a lot until just simmering, cook for 15-18 minutes, turn off fire, leave it alone for 20 minutes.

Uncover, move around, and serve. use about 1 teaspoon of salt for that much rice. No rice left in the pot (and use a heavy pot, the heaver the better!)

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
morir son~ando (that damn enye):"to die dreaming"
orange juice, milk, sugar, crushed ice. mmmmm
haven't had it in years.

so, who's got natasha's e-mail. let her know she's missed and we're getting hungry. :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the raves HB.......

But my expertise runs in Italian,Canadian, East Indian and some Chinese.
Always had a proplem with rice (maybe 'cause hubby doesn't like it and I don't cook it much) until my maid showed me how she makes it. I tried - still was too sticky- so my hubby's dive instructor (fabulous cook!) told me a little secret.
He said once you have the rice and water in the pot you take a spoon (tsp for small pot, tblsp for big pot) and stand it up in the middle. If it stand you have the propotions of water and rice correct - if it falls over take out some water 'cause you've got too much!! My maid tells me also that the quality of the rice you're using makes a difference - better rice = less water.
Now my rice turns out GREAT!!
BTW I make these rice balls (suppli to Anna or maybe arancini) that Miguel (dive instructor) dies for (along with every other Dominican or Italian who've tried them! There are made with the arboro rice which always turns out great.
I've never made habichuela's con dulce (will try it next time-Miguel says he makes a fabulous one) but I know you use the red pinto beans in the DR. They can also be bought at specialty stores(bulk food stores?) and health food stores in Canada and some supermarkets carry them as well.
Chinese rice tends not to be salty because they almost always add soyasauce or fish sauce to it once cooked and those sauces are VERY salty.
We've brought the warm weather home with us.....it's glorious outside, I'm heading out after I go buy FOOD (you're all making me hungry and all that is in the freezer are homemade sausage and roasted red peppers!!) to start preparing my garden for planting.
TTYAL

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Sason for a native(GOOD) cook does not come in jar!

Naranja Agria is one of the making Garlic, Onions Cilantro Sabanero, (2nd or de Espana) Two or three kind of pepers. fried either in peanut oil for meats and olive for beans. This sason like good wine is a matter of balance. Naranja agria is sold in a bottle by Goya for those in the states. I had a tree and had it cut down two much of cleanning the oranges of the ground here in California.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Arancini are very good Mommc. I've never made them myself they always fall apart on me. I think you need to deep fry them. For those that don't know arancini is a ball of rice with a very small amount of ground meat in the middle then breaded and deep fried. I saw a the lady that won one million dollars in the pilsbury cook off. I think it was called a chicken breast panino. The only thing that I saw that made it very different were the onions that my grandmother taught me to make.

Sautee some onions till golden then add some vinegar( I use apple cider vinegar) and some sugar. She put this on the chicken breast and won a million...lol....I use them on my roasted peppers. It's good on fish as well.
Ok back to work. My son is back from the tour and brought me a bag of reciepts for income tax. Don't forget for all Americans this is your last day to file...LOL

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Hillbilly 2 chefs in one family

HB,

My husband is a chef (Dominican born and raised) can make all the wonderful things you pay top dollar to eat in fine restaurant. He has worked in very fine restaurant, yet he can not do "habichuela quisada" if his life depended on it. When it comes to good old fashion Dominican cooking I am the master chef of course I never ever measure I cook to taste and have been doing so since I was 10 years old (keep in mind that I was born in DR yet came to US as a very young girl I learn to cook in the USA and I still use naranja agria and fresh sazon. Please do not get me talking about platanos. HB how about a good sancocho.
Just had dinner La bandera for hubby and kids veggies for me as I am a vegetarian, oh god it was good, and I am not to fond of rice the chef came back to the kitcheen to compliment me (how is that for a domincana that does not measure?)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
HB......

when I get back you'll have to come to Juan Dolio for some mondongo........It's the best!!! But I make it the Italian way with a special MommC touch thrown in (and no I don't measure either unless I'm baking pastry,cakes,cookies etc).
My hubby bought about 10lbs of it a few years back so we had a "fiesta", invited lots of friends and all the neighbours including an English fellow who said he used to eat "tripe" at home in England but his wife didn't like it and never made it.
Found out that half the invited didn't like mondongo so cooked up a bunch of other stuff like cutlets and ribs,made lots of differents salads and veggies etc. Figured the four ppl who did like mondongo were going to have to come for lunch and supper for two days or more to comsume the humungous pot of the stuff.
Well was I WRONG!! While there was a lot of the other food left over there wasn't even enough mondongo for hubby to have for lunch the next day. Everybody tried a spoonful ('cause I make mine different than they had had before) and went back for a plateful or two or three!! :D

I'm told I also make some of the best chivo around and my Dominican beef ribs are to die for!!! (not a tough piece of meat in my kitchen!!!)