Any Sardine lovers here?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I swear on the King's profile (get it?) that this is a serious question.

I've always been a fan of sardines and could almost live on them alone. Almost.

I've always bought New Brunswick because they seem to be some of the best. No shortage of other brands, but I haven't tried very many.

However, now JUMBO in their infinite wisdom have decided they want to dominate the sardine market, apparently. They have begun stocking
Lider Brand sardines which is their store brand, and now the sardine section looks like the Colgate toothpaste section - a giant wall of nothing but one brand and flavor of sardines.

I'd love to spend a few minutes in a closed room with the idiot who made that decision.

So anyway, Any sardine lovers here? What's your favorite?

Reactions: Squat and Lucifer

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know they gross some people out, like anchovies (which I also love), but I’ve loved them my whole life. My dad and I liked them with a nice chunk of crusty Italian bread. I still buy them and have them occasionally for lunch in USA, but at night in DR because we eat our main meal around noon. New Brunswick are always good, I don’t do the flavors (mustard, etc), and I switched to water packed because of calories (oil definitely better, soya or olive). La Sirena always has a lot of them on sale to choose from from January on, leading up to Lent.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I've always bought New Brunswick because they seem to be some of the best. No shortage of other brands, but I haven't tried very many.

However, now JUMBO in their infinite wisdom have decided they want to dominate the sardine market, apparently. They have begun stocking
Lider Brand sardines which is their store brand, and now the sardine section looks like the Colgate toothpaste section - a giant wall of nothing but one brand and flavor of sardines.

I'd love to spend a few minutes in a closed room with the idiot who made that decision.

Favorite kind from the beach at Juan Dolio guy that I came to know a few years back when one day I showed him where the sardines were breaking water. He was walking down the beach about 1/4 mile away. He got so many in his throw net it took the two of us to drag it in. Unfortionatly my morning schedule has changed and I haven't seen him for the past 6 months.
I guess...you might want to try sardines from Spain packed in oil...because sometimes the ones in red sauce are tasing like all sauce and not sardines.
Try to get fresh. Slit open and clean. Lay flat dribble with olive oil and diced garlic and top with bread crumbs (pan molido) and bake in oven.

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Favorite kind from the beach at Juan Dolio guy that I came to know a few years back when one day I showed him where the sardines were breaking water. He was walking down the beach about 1/4 mile away. He got so many in his throw net it took the two of us to drag it in. Unfortionatly my morning schedule has changed and I haven't seen him for the past 6 months.
I guess...you might want to try sardines from Spain packed in oil...because sometimes the ones in red sauce are tasing like all sauce and not sardines.
Try to get fresh. Slit open and clean. Lay flat dribble with olive oil and diced garlic and top with bread crumbs (pan molido) and bake in oven.

And make pasta con le sarde? (I’m half Sicilian)😊

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I know they gross some people out, like anchovies (which I also love), but I’ve loved them my whole life. My dad and I liked them with a nice chunk of crusty Italian bread. I still buy them and have them occasionally for lunch in USA, but at night in DR because we eat our main meal around noon. New Brunswick are always good, I don’t do the flavors (mustard, etc), and I switched to water packed because of calories (oil definitely better, soya or olive). La Sirena always has a lot of them on sale to choose from from January on, leading up to Lent.
I love anchovies and loathe sardines. But yea, Sirena, Bravo, Jumbo, have mega stacks of them.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

My number one I can eat daily is mackerel but sardines (in olive oil) is a very delicious fish. With white rice or a piece of real baguette and a white wine or a dry TIO PEPE sherry.
For me no added vegetables or flavours.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And now the former Brunswick sardines carried at Playero are gone. They were 40 pesos. Now the have Brunswick Part Deux now wrapped in a wax like paper and selling for 90 pesos. I'll pass. I'm not paying double for the same project because it's wrapped in a useless paper which is removed before you can open the tins.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And now the former Brunswick sardines carried at Playero are gone. They were 40 pesos. Now the have Brunswick Part Deux now wrapped in a wax like paper and selling for 90 pesos. I'll pass. I'm not paying double for the same project because it's wrapped in a useless paper which is removed before you can open the tins.
It glosses over the inflation rate. Got to chuckle when last week it was reported here inflation was down. So, how to manipulate the numbers? Bingo take the same can wrap it in tissue and put a new SKU # on it. New product, new price, no inflation. Tricky, eh?

Reactions: chico bill
Jun 21, 2021
Cabarete
a 16oz can of King sardines cost around 100pesos and has 100 grams of protein. its hard to beat one peso per gram of protein. They are my workers favorite bonus after a job well done. in picante sauce is the only way to go.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

my wife like the Cherry Star brand, but Brunswick are better in my opinion. I like them with lots of mustard (hot kind)

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Crostini!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Love them and living in Eastern Canada where the processing plants are, gives me access to a great selection. Sardines on sourdough bread, lightly toasted and spread with tomato pesto is one of my favourites. Second favourite is kippers, scrambled eggs and fried tomatoes. A great way to start the day. Also like pickled herring in onion, topped with sour cream. Comeau Brothers in New Brunswick make all three products. They’re Cajuns (Acadians) and know what they are doing.

Reactions: bob saunders