Are there any Starbucks Coffee in Dominican Republic?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Why on earth would you want one! Worst cup of coffee I have ever tasted, and you can't hardly get just a regular coffee!

My sentiments eggzackly! I have never understood the allure; it's overpriced burnt coffee with pretensions. And there is such wonderful coffee widely available in this country so cheaply.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't drink their hot beverages, BUT,I love their giant frozen cafe/mochas and the like.
I DO hate their prices, and their customers!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't drink their hot beverages, BUT,I love their giant frozen cafe/mochas and the like.
I DO hate their prices, and their customers!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

their cold coffee drinks are to die for. you are very right.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The DR really needs to step up its game in the coffee world. that santo domingo coffee is all that they are pushing. Im sure the dominican bean makes its way into many other brand, but that can of bustello beats out santo domingo coffee by a long shot.

Jamaica ,colombia and costa rica has that stuff, supreme quality, i will pay extra for a bag of it.

The best coffee I have had was locally grown in the cibao, freshly grinded in front of my eyes, and served by my abuelita. The farmers in the campo explained to me that there crops are auctioned off, and other islands have gained huge popularity. The coffee beans grown in the DR do not generate the money they expect out of their crops, so they grow something else.

Starbucks will be another passing fad among the peoples with extra money. The only coffee bar that I would consider great is sagrafredo (italian) and the gelatos the serve. That company didnt take of because of Starbucks, but I find them far superior in quality.
Starbucks is the coffee candy store, but their regular cup of coffee fails to please. The only thing I buy from them is their chai tea latte or the pumpkin spice latte, maybe a biscotti, but thats it.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Just my opinion but I don't like the way Dominicans roast the beans, It's to strong, bitter,tastes more like Expreso .

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Like other posters stated, a great spot for a Starbucks would be a high-end mall like Blue or Agora. But this thread is 7 years old and still no Starbucks. I strongly believe that the big investors in SD thought of the idea, crunched the numbers and decided not to go through with it.

A major problem is that Americans drink their coffee differently than the people from the DR. Americans are huge on brewed "Drip" coffee vs. Dominicans that drink their coffee in an espresso style serving. Although Starbucks serve espresso styled coffee, their big money maker is "Brewed Coffee". In Spain, there's a Starbucks inside their mall, will it swallow up all of the local coffee houses. No, I seriously doubt! Spaniards looooove their espressos and you rarely see locals walking around with Starbucks cups.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Like other posters stated, a great spot for a Starbucks would be a high-end mall like Blue or Agora. But this thread is 7 years old and still no Starbucks. I strongly believe that the big investors in SD thought of the idea, crunched the numbers and decided not to go through with it.

A major problem is that Americans drink their coffee differently than the people from the DR. Americans are huge on brewed "Drip" coffee vs. Dominicans that drink their coffee in an espresso style serving. Although Starbucks serve espresso styled coffee, their big money maker is "Brewed Coffee". In Spain, there's a Starbucks inside their mall, will it swallow up all of the local coffee houses. No, I seriously doubt! Spaniards looooove their espressos and you rarely see locals walking around with Starbucks cups.

exactly. Americans and Canadians like their coffee in gallon jugs. the smallest Tim Horton?s cup is bigger than the cups that Dominicans like to drink coffee from. the paradigms are different. i don?t think Dominicans are ready to walk around sipping half liter buckets of coffee

May 29, 2006
I don't buy coffee by the cup anymore. It's either completely weak or boutique battery acid. I use a Moka pot and use Cafe Bustelo, which is the closest I can get to Cafe Santo Domingo here. Cafe Carib is a bit too cheap and PILON is a bit too dark. The other deal breaker is all city here has chlorine in it, which ruins the coffee. I want it in a real cup, not in foam or paper.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
If I want coffee I go to cafe santo domingo en bella vista mall. Horrible service but convenient and always packed. Cuchara de madera out back also has good espresso. Don't like espresso at places with a nescafe machine. Too much foam. I want espresso and not capuccino.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If I want coffee I go to cafe santo domingo en bella vista mall. Horrible service but convenient and always packed. Cuchara de madera out back also has good espresso. Don't like espresso at places with a nescafe machine. Too much foam. I want espresso and not capuccino.

When you say foam, do you mean the 'crema'? To me that's a really good espresso.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am not huge coffee drinker. I like a thin layer of the crema on top but the nescafe machines wind up with an inch or so of foamy crema. Don't dig it and since higher end coffee joints don't seem to serve it that way, I assume the nescafe is a cheap machine sold to restaurants and not coffee shops. In fact in jarabacoa they only espresso we found was all nescafe.