Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How much more will one pay for a Chevy Bolt or Tesla in the DR versus the USA?

How long before gasoline stations become obsolete? Or very limited in supply?

I have three gasoline powered vehicles. I normally ride a vehicle until it is no longer worth repairing, so
I might never get to won an electric car here. One of my friends just went totally electric in the US with a Model Y Tesla and a Chevy Bolt.
Why own an electric car in a country that cannot keep the lights on in your house?

Reactions: fuchs4d and cavok

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Other consideration is the speed of tech.
In ten years will it be hydrogen, possible fusion?
We are on the precipice of fusion.
For me its a wait n see.
What a great time we are having living in such a sweet spot in history.
Meanwhile I am sticking with and enjoying what we know .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Other consideration is the speed of tech.
In ten years will it be hydrogen, possible fusion?
We are on the precipice of fusion.
Fusion is a very tough nut to crack. I expected much more progress. If fusion is ever harnessed, there will be a dramatic change throughout the developed world. There will hardly be need for any other power source except in areas not reachable by power lines.
For me its a wait n see.
What a great time we are having living in such a sweet spot in history.
Meanwhile I am sticking with and enjoying what we know .
I am afraid the wait will still be considerable for fusion. It is always 20 years away. Most likely far longer than I have.
Meanwhile the DR will burn oil and coal to "fuel" those E-Cars while tilting at windmills and touting solar farms.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Fusion is a very tough nut to crack. I expected much more progress. If fusion is ever harnessed, there will be a dramatic change throughout the developed world. There will hardly be need for any other power source except in areas not reachable by power lines.

I am afraid the wait will still be considerable for fusion. It is always 20 years away. Most likely far longer than I have.
Meanwhile the DR will burn oil and coal to "fuel" those E-Cars while tilting at windmills and touting solar farms.
How about hydrogen ?

Certainly agree about fusion but when its here it will change the world with virtually free energy.
Will be interesting to see the changes.
Should be remarkable.
Nearly daily there is progress in fusion.
I am hoping its here sooner rather than later.
Tremendous amount of effort world wide into fusion research.

Next big thing in immediate future will be the Webb telescope coming online.
Ultra cool to look back in time a billion years.
IF It Works it will make Hubble look like a kids toy.
What a fantastic time to be living.

When I was a kid I dreamed of living in the past at certain times in history.
Then I found out people died very very young and unpleasantly.
In the US in 1900 avg. age at death was 46.
Killed my interest in living in the past.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Lots of us have 24/7 or very close to it.
How many is lots?

What percent of the DR has something like 24 /7 lights ?
I am supposed to be on a 24/7 circuit also.

Be nice if we had water also.
Before I moved here I thought water and electricity were necessary for life.

According to the World Bank in 2019 "100% of the DR population has access to electricity".
Guessing access here means at sometime the population has had or will have electric.

Not complaining about the electric, I gave up all but faint hope.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How many is lots?

Not complaining about the electric, I gave up all but faint hope.
No idea. There's data out there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for it today.

But I'd guess most of the demographic who will buy electric vehicles have 24/7 or close to it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No idea. There's data out there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for it today.

But I'd guess most of the demographic who will buy electric vehicles have 24/7 or close to it.
I looked a little and did not find anything reliable in terms of number of people with 24/7 lights.
Not much faith in DR sourced numbers.
This country claims 93% literacy.
Rare to see a Dominican reading other than the lottery results in the papers.
All the non readers use voice in their phones.

Jan 9, 2004

Adoption generally comes by a wealthier demographic, partly because they have the means. That in turn spurs more innovation and an eventual lowering of the price points to purchase. The same scenario played out in the transition of the horse and buggy to the automobile.

And just as that transition brought us newer, better, and more connectivity via highways for those automobiles, so too will come the needed infrastructure/charging to support electric vehicles for longer range.

Additionally, transporters/governments/private companies are all seriously looking at electric buses (hint)....................the buses used in transport of tourists in the east region from airport to hotel(s).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How about hydrogen ?

Where do you get the hydrogen? And is it "worth it" ?
Certainly agree about fusion but when its here it will change the world with virtually free energy.
Will be interesting to see the changes.
Should be remarkable.
Nearly daily there is progress in fusion.
I am hoping its here sooner rather than later.
Tremendous amount of effort world wide into fusion research.
I had hoped it would already be here and not still 20 years away. Or maybe just 5 years:

I hope it is five years and I get to hear the end of the whining by green power people.

Next big thing in immediate future will be the Webb telescope coming online.
Ultra cool to look back in time a billion years.
IF It Works it will make Hubble look like a kids toy.
What a fantastic time to be living.
An actual view of the Big Bang, so to speak. Fascinating stuff.
When I was a kid I dreamed of living in the past at certain times in history.
Then I found out people died very very young and unpleasantly.
In the US in 1900 avg. age at death was 46.
Killed my interest in living in the past.
Jethro Tull wrote a song about it. I agree, the past was not as great as it is nostalgically remembered.
However, the 50's to 60's were not bad, for me only I do realize. What my country calls the greatest generation was at work then. We have floundered since then.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

I looked for the data also and came up empty.
Wonder if the DR politicos would like to keep the numbers of lightless homes quiet?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I looked for the data also and came up empty.
Wonder if the DR politicos would like to keep the numbers of lightless homes quiet?
The DR , as far as I recall, went entirely 24/7 a while back. Of course 24/7 just means most of the time in the DR.

There used to be class A, B, C and D circuits where power was on proportional to how many paid for that power. "A" circuits being 24/7 and we went from D (about 10 hours a day during Hippolito) slowly up to A when that "system" went away. It took many years, about 15 or so, from when I arrived to go from D to 24/7. Edenorte fined some of my neighbors for stealing power. They changed the meters to make it much harder to steal power and more....

Today the only people that don't have power should be the ones that don't pay. That would be a reason for the lack of data on that.

The guys with "cheap rum hangovers" must sill be working on the current 8 AM north coast power outage. Good thing I don't need to charge an E-Car today.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The DR , as far as I recall, went entirely 24/7 a while back. Of course 24/7 just means most of the time in the DR.

There used to be class A, B, C and D circuits where power was on proportional to how many paid for that power. "A" circuits being 24/7 and we went from D (about 10 hours a day during Hippolito) slowly up to A when that "system" went away. It took many years, about 15 or so, from when I arrived to go from D to 24/7. Edenorte fined some of my neighbors for stealing power. They changed the meters to make it much harder to steal power and more....

Today the only people that don't have power should be the ones that don't pay. That would be a reason for the lack of data on that.

The guys with "cheap rum hangovers" must sill be working on the current 8 AM north coast power outage. Good thing I don't need to charge an E-Car today.
Oh boy, EdeSur must have missed that memo about DR going 24/7. We have NEVER had 24 hour electricity except for a couple of holidays and the day the president does his “State of the Union” address, or whatever they call it in DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Oh boy, EdeSur must have missed that memo about DR going 24/7. We have NEVER had 24 hour electricity except for a couple of holidays and the day the president does his “State of the Union” address, or whatever they call it in DR.
Well, that just ain't right. I would probably mention it to someone. I know, this is the DR. That won't help.
Going on 3 hours without power so far today! What a Happy New Year with no power and no water.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, that just ain't right. I would probably mention it to someone. I know, this is the DR. That won't help.
Going on 3 hours without power so far today! What a Happy New Year with no power and no water.
My mother used to say whatever you do on New Year’s Day you’ll do all year, let’s hope she was wrong.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, this is a good place for an electric vehicle - IF IF IF they get the infrastructure right.

My peeve with electric is the range.... here the range is OK.... an island... +/- 300 miles.
That doesn't cut it where I visit in NoAmerica.....
Stifling...........

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know about cars, but we have an electrical scooter (pasola), and it's so much better than the gasoline one! Smoother to drive, noiseless, almost free of cost when it comes to charging, this is the future, without a single doubt! Now I just need to sell my other gasoline scooter so I can buy a 2nd electrical one, and we're good to go (Wifey loves her "pasola electrica")
Did you buy the pasola in Las Terrenas? Does anyone know where I could see/try one nearer to Cabarete?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did you buy the pasola in Las Terrenas? Does anyone know where I could see/try one nearer to Cabarete?
Bike shop near the entrance road to Maranatha in Sosua Abajo. Center of this google map:

Pappaterra in Sosua as well.

Reactions: drstock