Armed robbery at airport parking lot

Feb 7, 2007
If he was white, had pimples and was wearing a name tag that read something like "Elder Zack" or "Elder Freddy" he could have been a missionary gone bad.

Sorry for hijacking the thread
Talking about these missionaries, they are everywhere. Wearing white shirt and black pants. Are they mormons?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
This is terrible. I am sorry it happened to your friend. So, what is the advice to all of us traveling to the DR? Bring a limited amount of money and only one credit card that can be cancelled as soon as it is stolen? Take a taxi to and from the airport and get in the building as soon as we get dropped off? Make sure that our flights leave during the day and not in the morning or night? What do you think are the right things to do?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is terrible. I am sorry it happened to your friend. So, what is the advice to all of us traveling to the DR? Bring a limited amount of money and only one credit card that can be cancelled as soon as it is stolen? Take a taxi to and from the airport and get in the building as soon as we get dropped off? Make sure that our flights leave during the day and not in the morning or night? What do you think are the right things to do?
Minimizing what you have on you is always good, but you can hardly do that, when you're just arriving into the country, so the most important thing to do is to pay attention to your surroundings and never take any unnecessary chances.
I'm sure that John's friend will never go stand in the parking lot to be picked up, again, and I presume that Rubio's friend will keep her eyes open for anyone following her.
There are no bullet proof solutions, but one can minimize the risks by being cautious.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Sorry for hijacking the thread
Talking about these missionaries, they are everywhere. Wearing white shirt and black pants. Are they mormons?

Yes, they would be members of the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). In the U.S. they ride bicycles and are usually very cordial people.

I'd rather have 50 of them in an area, than 50 crooked cops....

By the by, from my experiences, if you're not interested in hearing "the word", let them know and they will move on....graciously.

This crap at the airport is bothersome...but it happens everywhere....I remember when Miami (MIA) had car-jackers ramming tourists from behind to get them to stop.....then killed them after robbing them.

That stopped when Florida began to allow concealed weapons on honest citizens....

Glad to hear this woman was smart and let them have what they wanted and was not injured.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
That stopped when Florida began to allow concealed weapons on honest citizens....
If only life was so easy... Guns on the waistband are a common thing down here, and it doesn't do any good... As a matter of fact, it is a problem for us to have all those people overarmed... But I am sure you see it as a good thing after reading your above statement... :(

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This crap at the airport is bothersome...but it happens everywhere....I remember when Miami (MIA) had car-jackers ramming tourists from behind to get them to stop.....then killed them after robbing them.

Glad to hear this woman was smart and let them have what they wanted and was not injured.
Bothersome?? Well, it doesn't happen everywhere with the frequency that it is now happening in the SD area of the DR.It is down right dangerous. For many, many years I defended the DR to all that asked "is it safe to go there" I would be less than honest if I were to continue with a mis truth.

As far as the overused "Miami" example-rental car companies changed their license plates so that the bad guys could not spot their targets.Had nothing to do with honest citizens being armed.Using this example as an offset to the crime situation in SD is a bit of a streeeeeech!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There has been stuff in the papers for some time about newly arriving Dominicans at SDQ being mugged mostly in the way rubio higuey describes - followed from the airport. johne's example is different though, much more blatant. If someone can't be met inside the airport you almost wonder if there would be any point in leaving the cases in a secure storage facility before locating the ride? Someone with just a handbag doesn't stand out as someone arriving and it's clearly the 'arrivers' the thugs are after (because of the money etc they'll have with them).

Thanks for telling us johne. Hope this doesn't ruin your friend's stay.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The advice given here is very good and should be applied to ALL the airports. But also in general, one should take the advice, no matter where they are and what they are doing. Being followed by ladrone(s) is becoming more and more a problem everywhere, not just at the airports. Cambio Houses are another prime example.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Bothersome?? Well, it doesn't happen everywhere with the frequency that it is now happening in the SD area of the DR.It is down right dangerous. For many, many years I defended the DR to all that asked "is it safe to go there" I would be less than honest if I were to continue with a mis truth.

As far as the overused "Miami" example-rental car companies changed their license plates so that the bad guys could not spot their targets.Had nothing to do with honest citizens being armed.Using this example as an offset to the crime situation in SD is a bit of a streeeeeech!

Sorry to burst your bubble bro....the crime in FLA has decreased signifcantly since the original CCW law went into efect and NOW that the new law removes the Castle Doctine rule (meaning we can cap yo Sh-t anywhere we want), it is in further decline.

Get between someone who holds a CCW and the car at the mall and threaten them....see what happens.

The changing of license plates was pat of the program however, after seeing three cases tried in the courts this year where SELF-DEFENSE led to the death of four nappies....I'll stick with what I know is truth....packin lead leaves thugs dead.

When you come to F-L-A, don't run your mouth or think you'll play, you never know who will make your day, and when your dead you have no say!

A

apostropheman

excuse me!!!

WTF are you saying!
The changing of license plates was pat of the program however, after seeing three cases tried in the courts this year where SELF-DEFENSE led to the death of four nappies....I'll stick with what I know is truth....packin lead leaves thugs dead.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There has been stuff in the papers for some time about newly arriving Dominicans at SDQ being mugged mostly in the way rubio higuey describes - followed from the airport. johne's example is different though, much more blatant. If someone can't be met inside the airport you almost wonder if there would be any point in leaving the cases in a secure storage facility before locating the ride? Someone with just a handbag doesn't stand out as someone arriving and it's clearly the 'arrivers' the thugs are after (because of the money etc they'll have with them).

Thanks for telling us johne. Hope this doesn't ruin your friend's stay.

Pretty funny about ruinin g her stay. Sure did-but she LIVES there.

A

apostropheman

i doubt it. he needs to have a forced vacation from DR1...what a racist a$$hole!!!:pirate:
He, he--I'm sure he meant kidnappies-and never heard of Imus in the Morning.(Fla. dude)
LOL

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The advice given here is very good and should be applied to ALL the airports. But also in general, one should take the advice, no matter where they are and what they are doing. Being followed by ladrone(s) is becoming more and more a problem everywhere, not just at the airports. Cambio Houses are another prime example.
I cant understand why there arent more cases of robbing after a visit to a cambio. I feel totally vul. everytime I walk out the door.
Robbing handbags at the airport makes a lot of sense. The person is carrying ID that perhaps can be used in ID theft, MUST have some money on them, and probably has a cell phone. Ideal situation.
For the life of me, I can't figure out how they EXIT the AP. Just walking away? Back into the crowd? Using another car?

john

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
i doubt it. he needs to have a forced vacation from DR1...what a racist a$$hole!!!:pirate:

Uhhh, no racist here....

In my line of work we don't profile politicaly correct, we use accurate description and that would include scars, marks, tatoos, color, national origin and HAIR and that term is used even in SALONS....remember the DR is one of worst, calling afro hair....PELO MALO....how is that, a genetic characteristic used to name call

The nice thing about TV, radio and the web, if you don't like soemthing turn it off......go away........whiner

OH and stick to the thread as I did......we're discussing a robbery

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Uhhh, no racist here....

In my line of work we don't profile politicaly correct, we use accurate description and that would include scars, marks, tatoos, color, national origin and HAIR and that term is used even in SALONS....remember the DR is one of worst, calling afro hair....PELO MALO....how is that, a genetic characteristic used to name call

The nice thing about TV, radio and the web, if you don't like soemthing turn it off......go away........whiner

OH and stick to the thread as I did......we're discussing a robbery
If I may ask.
What or who are four nappies?
What is a nappie/nappy?

Wait a minute.
Am I understanding this right?
Nappies, as in the same type of nappies that got Imus thrown off the radio?
And you're saying that's the accurate term?
Are you serious?

A

apostropheman

he's seriously caught in a blunder and is looking to save face.

too bad we're not in his "line of work" whatever that is...not that it matters in this discussion!

it's a racist comment, uncalled for and unacceptable.

just ask Imus where that got him :pirate:

a retraction and apology would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. his trying to defend such ignorance is pathetic. :angry:
If I may ask.
What or who are four nappies?
What is a nappie/nappy?

Wait a minute.
Am I understanding this right?
Nappies, as in the same type of nappies that got Imus thrown off the radio?
And you're saying that's the accurate term?
Are you serious?