Armed robbery at airport parking lot

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
why ??

Moderators: maybe time to stop this rant[/quot

why close a thread that has to do with a crime at an International airport because from left field someone wants to talk about "nappies"?

Might be easier for moderator to delete post not relevant to subject matter or break it off to separete thread.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Johne, good thing your friend is fine.

The bad part of this thread is that it occurred at SDQ. However, this is something that could have occurred at any airport, with the likelihood varying from airport to airport. If that was not the case, then the abundant "how to be safe at an airport" tips and reminders would not be so abundant and so generic, in terms that they apply to all airports and not specific airports.

Speaking of tips on how to be safe at any airport, here are a few tips. More can be found at the link at the end of this post:

Safe Traveler

Those tips in addition to common sense (ie. avoiding isolated places, be within sight of police, etc) should lower the risk of robbery at any airport.

One thing we can all be sure of is that most people traveling through Las Americas don't encounter any problems.
-NALs

Nals-thank you for your kind words of concern for my friend that was robbed at gunpoint in an International airport yards away from the main exit door.
I knew when I made this posting (Didn't do it for a couple of days) that I would hear "this can happen anywhere" Really did the posting against my better judgement as I didn't want to spend the energy and time debating this subject.

The 10 points of advise listed above apply to a country of law. They are mearly good tips for a traveller in cities such as NY, Chicago, LA etc. They are noy applicable to a lawless society/city/country such as Santo Domingo. Plain and simple

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
why close a thread that has to do with a crime at an International airport because from left field someone wants to talk about "nappies"?

I think this issue is now clarified johne. What did your friend do? Call out for help? or tell the police or airport security? Question is, did she receive assistance from those that are there to give assistance?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
johne said:
The 10 points of advise listed above apply to a country of law. They are mearly good tips for a traveller in cities such as NY, Chicago, LA etc. They are noy applicable to a lawless society/city/country such as Santo Domingo. Plain and simple
Hm. In case you missed it, read this again:

I was picking up a friend at SDQ about a year ago around 3 PM and we were followed by two cops in the parking lot. I was parked near the far northeast side of the lot. They started following us when we were about halfway across the lot. When we got to my car they stayed about 30 feet away and were not at all threatening.

I went and talked to them. They were friendly and said they were just making sure nobody bothered us since there had been some robberies. They didn't ask for money and were very courteous and professional. I was pleasantly shocked.

Policia Nacional!!!!

-NALs

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
no

I think this issue is now clarified johne. What did your friend do? Call out for help? or tell the police or airport security? Question is, did she receive assistance from those that are there to give assistance?

In a word--no. Filed police report for papers she used next day for new passport and cedula. Police have indicated nothing will happen. Called her brother who worked for a good number of years with Pacheco in government. He said forget it. Nothing/nobody will help the situation.

Kind of exhausted all that I know on situation--have my opinions on the state of affairs in SD so lets leave it at that.