Armed robbery at airport parking lot

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sorry to have got that wrong. You said earlier that she was expected back in NYC in October and couldn't wait to get back, so I assumed she lived in NYC.

Yep. Tried to convey her disgust with SD.

ElNegrote

Jul 31, 2007
Johne, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Everytime we've traveled to DR via SDQ, especially arriving during daylight hours, we always see TONS of people, including police personnel, in the outdoor waiting area near the taxi stand and the entrances to the parking lot. In fact, just last week, there were several policemen circulating around the parking lot.

I am still astounded that there was no one around to call for the police or at least cry out for help for this poor woman. How horrible. Perhaps one solution for travelers who feel unsafe, Dominican or otherwise, would be to ask a Policia Nacional officer to accompany them if they need to walk to the parking lot, especially to a remote area, or if they have to wait, to ask for the policeman to stay in or around that waiting plaza area till the ride arrives.

As for the people following on motorbikes, I'm not sure what the answer is. But as a friend who lives here says of any attempts by officers of any sort to pull you over, DO NOT STOP if you are an American. Just keep driving and if you are forced off the road, call the US Embassy's 24-hour number and speak English. Do not speak a word of Spanish and DO NOT pay any bribes whatsoever.

ElNegrote

Jul 31, 2007
If I may ask.
What or who are four nappies?
What is a nappie/nappy?

Wait a minute.
Am I understanding this right?
Nappies, as in the same type of nappies that got Imus thrown off the radio?
And you're saying that's the accurate term?
Are you serious?

Thank you, Rocky. This is a burst of grotesque racism. Why not just call the criminals that, CRIMINALS? Why the coded racist reference? And in what beauty shops is this word being bandied around about *people* as opposed to a type of hair? One run by the Ku Klux Klan?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
he's seriously caught in a blunder and is looking to save face.

too bad we're not in his "line of work" whatever that is...not that it matters in this discussion!

it's a racist comment, uncalled for and unacceptable.

just ask Imus where that got him :pirate:

a retraction and apology would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. his trying to defend such ignorance is pathetic. :angry:

Imus called the women a dirogatory name......THAT is what got him in trouble, not his description of hair, it was the use of the "H" word.

From DICTIONARY.COM

nappy

adjective
1. (of hair) in small tight curls [syn: crisp]

Nappy refers to hair, as in the Stevie Wonder song: Sir Duke

Nappy is a type of hair, nappy is referred to as Pelo Malo in the DR

Nappy is a box on my arrest reports that I can check off

The comment was not racist, your attempts at political correctness are foolish

May 12, 2005
Johne,

Sorry to hear about your friend's troubles. At least she wasn't hurt. Why is it that things like this always seem to happen in La Capital? I was considering spending a few days there on my next trip. But now I'm not so sure. I think i'll stick with Santaigo. Much less problems there.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you, Rocky. This is a burst of grotesque racism. Why not just call the criminals that, CRIMINALS? Why the coded racist reference? And in what beauty shops is this word being bandied around about *people* as opposed to a type of hair? One run by the Ku Klux Klan?
I hope you are aware of DR1's no racism policy. and that Pyratt's comments do not reflect the opinions of other DR1 members.
BTW: I luv your post.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Imus called the women a dirogatory name......THAT is what got him in trouble, not his description of hair, it was the use of the "H" word.

From DICTIONARY.COM

nappy

adjective

Holy shyte, Pyratt.
I ask again....
Are you being serious?
What possible difference can you claim between Imus' usage of the word and you calling them 4 nappies?

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
US Embassy 24 Hr Hotline???

"call the US Embassy's 24-hour number.."

Is there really a 24 hour number for the US Embassy? What is it? I never have had a problem, but you never know?

The PN are most probably involved with the crooks (in some form or fashion). The best advise in stay close to the crowds and be very aware of your surroundings.

A

apostropheman

The changing of license plates was pat of the program however, after seeing three cases tried in the courts this year where SELF-DEFENSE led to the death of four nappies....I'll stick with what I know is truth....packin lead leaves thugs dead.
if you had said that their hair was nappy that would be one thing BUT you didn't. you called them, people not their hair, "nappies" which is a racist comment, all too reminiscent of another N word that shall not be uttered.

retract, apologize and move along...anything else just highlights your ignorance. :pirate:

From DICTIONARY.COM

nappy

adjective

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
"call the US Embassy's 24-hour number.."

Is there really a 24 hour number for the US Embassy? What is it? I never have had a problem, but you never know?

The PN are most probably involved with the crooks (in some form or fashion). The best advise in stay close to the crowds and be very aware of your surroundings.

(809)221-2171

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005

Are you saying, you're actually a member of a law enforcement agency? And this is the language you use when describing someone?

A

apostropheman

i bet in this context nappy IS referring to the type of hair, along with blond, brunette/brown, etc...

calling people "nappies" is different and unacceptable.

however, coming from a self proclaimed florida cop, known for their racism, brutality and corruption your choice of words is no big surprise:cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well, I still don't know what nappies are? Where I come from, a nappy is something you put on a babies bottom - like a diaper, so forgive me for being slow.

Can you spell it out for me pyratt? What does the box say that you tick off?

Hair - straight / curly / short / nappy
or
Person - nappy / black / white / brown / something else..

.... the death of four nappies....

What does this mean? What are the four nappies that died.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
A couple of years ago a family that I know were picked up from home to go to the airport for a flight off on holiday. After being dropped off, they went to queue and suddenly realised, horror of horrors, they left the passport pouch in the house. The guy raced out and jumped in a taxi to go home (fortunately only about 15 minutes away). He arrived home... to find the first taxi driver robbing him! If you think about it, who are you advertising to, that your house will be empty for a fortnight?

Two weeks ago, an eleven year old child was shot dead in Liverpool as he walked home from a football practice. The assailant is believed to be between 14 & 17 years old. About the same time, fifteen miles away, a bloke was kicked to death by a group of kids who had been vandalising a car outside his house and he'd gone out to tell them to stop.

I know this isn't directly to do with the DR, but putting into context, that people must be alert all the time and that the UK is becoming increasingly violent & unlawful. It's a sad fact that we need to be vigilant wherever we are.

Sorry for your friend's shocking experience. And if you're going on holiday to DR (or anywhere else), if you're being picked up by a taxi, have someone there to wave you off!

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
What was not taken from custom.....

I guess someone at custom tipped a buddy to wait for her outside their airport, How this Bandit knew she was alone and not one was waiting for her..?

Now Los tigueres are waiting at the airport for their prey.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Well, I still don't know what nappies are? Where I come from, a nappy is something you put on a babies bottom - like a diaper, so forgive me for being slow.

Can you spell it out for me pyratt? What does the box say that you tick off?

Hair - straight / curly / short / nappy
or
Person - nappy / black / white / brown / something else..

What does this mean? What are the four nappies that died.

That is correct as written above...except under person it says "other", not something else. There is also boxes for nose and eye shapes....

Our sketch artists can dra a picture using the information provided and a computer program that matches features....victims are then asked to refine the pictures.......

We also use, skin color instead of Mullato or Indio.....you see.... nappy hair comes on different people of many cultures incuding MINE (the one thing everyone here has assumed is I am WHITE) RACISTS all, shame on you!

The nappies that died, one a gang member of SUR13, Guatamalan, two American gang bangers and one mixed race, like me....

The cloth diaper definition is not part of American English but I think more of British....

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
[QUOTE=pyratt

The cloth diaper definition is not part of American English but I think more of British.... nappies In:ermm: UK :bunny:diaper In USA;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Johne, good thing your friend is fine.

The bad part of this thread is that it occurred at SDQ. However, this is something that could have occurred at any airport, with the likelihood varying from airport to airport. If that was not the case, then the abundant "how to be safe at an airport" tips and reminders would not be so abundant and so generic, in terms that they apply to all airports and not specific airports.

Speaking of tips on how to be safe at any airport, here are a few tips. More can be found at the link at the end of this post:

Airport Safety

Airports can give travelers a false sense of security. All the cameras, TSA agents, police and airline personnel can create an environment where it is easy to, "let your guard down." Add to that the stress and hurried nature of travel and it is completely understandable why focusing on safety may be lower on the minds of many travelers. However, thieves know that too and despite the added security, they may see the airport providing a prime opportunity to strike.

A key point to remember: Much of the airport security is designed to keep airplanes, passengers and crew members safe when planes are flying. The security steps in place may deter some criminals but you are still responsible for helping secure your own experience at the airport.

Here is some simple advice to help you ensure your safety at the airport.

1. When going through airport security, place your bags on the belt only as you are ready to walk through the magnetometer, not while you are still in a line. Immediately recover your belongings on the other side.

2. Thieves are known to work in pairs. One thief stalls in front of you in line while the other removes your items from the other side of the machine.

3. Keep your luggage in sight and close by at any public place, especially at airports.

4. Thieves commonly switch bags at transportation and hotel counters. To help prevent this, mark your bag with a ribbon or tape.

5. Unattended luggage may be removed and/or destroyed by security staff. If this happens, you will not be compensated.

6. Do not approach or remain near someone else’s unattended baggage.

7. Do not agree to guard a stranger’s luggage.

8. Upon arrival, be present when your luggage is delivered to the baggage area, verify your baggage claim checks and quickly inspect your luggage to ensure that it was not tampered with.

9. If you must set down your suitcases or bags, place them against a wall or counter and maintain contact with them.

10. Watch your luggage being stowed aboard your taxi or van at the airport and hotel. If possible, take your carry-ons inside the vehicle.

Safe Traveler

Those tips in addition to common sense (ie. avoiding isolated places, be within sight of police, etc) should lower the risk of robbery at any airport.

One thing we can all be sure of is that most people traveling through Las Americas don't encounter any problems.
-NALs

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I cant understand why there arent more cases of robbing after a visit to a cambio. I feel totally vul. everytime I walk out the
door.

There are more than you know johne. Many, many crimes in the DR go unreported. Mainly because the person that got robbed know it's just a waste of time to report it. Our neighbor got robbed leaving a Cambio House, it was never reported.

Nice thing about Taveras Cambio here in Santiago, they have armed guards "outside" on the street. That still won?t stop the ladrone from following you to another location to rob you.