Arrivals Down At POP During First 3 Months Of 2014

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I travelled here, I ate 3 meals a day, everyday I was here.

Now I live here half the year, I eat at restaurants twice a month. My girlfriend and I cook most meals.

I find most restaurants here subpar and the selection is very poor. It is one of the things that disappoints me about Sosua.

Maybe, this is true for most people who live here?

finally, a guy who pulls no punches. what is with this reference to Sosua restaurants, as if we were talking about some snazzy bistros in Paris? i read some postings on DR1 about some wonderful restaurant on PC, and went there for breakfast. i wanted bacon and eggs, coffee, and oj. i was the only one there, and it took them 30 minutes to serve me, plus another 10 minutes to get the coffee. in any self respecting diner in Red Bank, NJ, i would have been in and out before this dump fried my eggs to a crisp.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
the only tourist destinations that are not driven by tour operators are places like Paris, Rome, and very few others. tour operators decide where the lift goes, and without airline seats there is no tourism. the operators function on razor thin margins. they make very little on each ticket they sell, and have to maximize profits on each sale. if a destination gets negative exit polls, they simply stop selling it. my buddy tried to buy a ticket from a Toronto operation to a particular Playa Dorada AI, and they would not sell it to him. they do not need the complaints. it is far more complicated then painting the crosswalks and improving the lighting.

That's why the volume goes to PUJ not POP.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
The North coast has been in decline for atleast 7 years . The all inclusives were never maintained as most owned by Dominicans and no money was reinvested ... Tour operators noticed, had complaints and simply move most tourist to PUNTA CANA where they don't get complaints , they have people happy to be in nice maintained hotels and friendly safe beaches .... The north coast had its days twenty odd years back ... Cabarete still is a sweet place if u like a nice bar scene on the beach .. Relatively safe , and spend a few hours in Sosua occasionaly, for contrast ....

John Danzell

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
Something struck me in reading your post: Exactly what does Sosua have to attract tourists and what type of tourist are attracted to Sosua? (Not particularly directed at you or you post but to anyone)

No derogatory inference here, simply a question

A few people say that Sosua attracts different type than PC but exactly what is that type?

May years ago I first started visiting the DR as a young and single guy, it offered everything Women, alcohol, warm beaches and easy weekend travel I think that is all still available but it appears from post here that is not what Sosua is looking for?

Seriously, what does Sosua offer to tourist that can?t be found elsewhere and what type of tourist look for that which Sosua offers?

I guess I am just asking pretty much what you did, your question of "What does Sosua offer to the tourist" kind of hit me square in the face

Sosua is a centrally located budget destination in the North Coast tourism region, that offers a more diversified and authentic experience to adventure and cultural tourists than AI destinations like Punta Cana. It is a destination for tourist that would rather pay only 40-100$ per night and freely explore life on the ground in DR. A short drive can yield many adventure activities associated with the mountains, rivers, beaches, and ocean exploration. It is a short drive from Cabarete, POP airport, Puerto Plata, and Santiago. It is somewhat unique for a budget destination to have access to such a large diversity of surrounding locales in which to eat, party, shop, explore, and learn. This small region of the country has both luxury and budget tourism businesses, all levels of socioeconomic living for Dominican society as well as for expats, mountain living, coastal living, rural living, small town living, and big city living. I also believe that the large and diverse expat community living on the North Coast contribute to making it a unique destination. If marketed accordingly and developed as such, Sosua could become an internationally recognized party destination like Acapulco, Las Vegas, Ibiza, Rio, Amsterdam, Cancun, Miami, Phuket, etc; obviously on a much smaller scale due to market size and with a unique Caribbean flair. But the North Coast already has the foundation in place if it chose to create a premier Caribbean party destination. Party goers don't demand high luxury, or an excluded extreme security environment, like the AI family crowd do, because they crave adventure and exploration. I believe that marketing the North Coast beach towns as an adventure and entertainment destination with authentic cultural exposure, would give it the best chance to thrive as a one of a kind Caribbean experience.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I once attended a discussion about tourism in the DR. Some of the topics discussed were the history of tourism, its decline on the North Coast, and its rise in Punta Cana.
Funny that this was like 10 years ago, and Playa Dorada was already known as a place on decline.

Some of the reasons given for this were crappy services and not enough investment to keep up and update the infrastructure.

The areas were also considered to cater different types of tourists.Maybe not the case today, but back then the typical north coast tourist was described as the German or Dutch who doesn't have much money and wants a beach, a cheap all inclusive and free booze, while the typical Punta Cana tourist was as more demanding, the American or the British who wants a better service and is willing to spend more.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think that POP and PUJ are chasing the same customer.

Is PUJ not more family oriented?

As for the tour operators, just check out the Liberty travel ads .... they point the way for the tour traffic
or Apple Vacations...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If marketed accordingly and developed as such, Sosua could become an internationally recognized party destination like Acapulco, Las Vegas, Ibiza, Rio, Amsterdam, Cancun, Miami, Phuket, etc;

That's all very nice, but you still need to transport the party crowd to a destination at a reasonable price. How do you plan to solve that?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The North coast has been in decline for atleast 7 years . The all inclusives were never maintained as most owned by Dominicans and no money was reinvested ...

Playa Dorada survived on the Punta Cana overspill for many years.
As Punta Cana evolved and was able to meet demand, the Playa Dorada traffic disappeared.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Playa Dorada was built in a mad rush by amateurs who were hurrying to get into the tourism game. many other caribbean islands had established tourist industries since the 1950s or earlier, and the DR industry started in earnest in somewhere about 1970. they came in with a mad rush to catch up with, and to surpass, old stalwarts like Jamaica, The Bahamas, and Bermuda. for these local guys, it was a numbers game: try to get as many heads on beds as was numerically possible. the rate of growth exceeded carrying capacity, and the result was overcrowding, and all the ills that accompany that condition. PC learnt from the guinea pig mistakes of the north coast, and the focus shifted to that area, leaving the NC dead in the water. it is the old tourism life cycle idea, expounded by Butler. the NC is in a state of terminal decline, and will need to be reinvented, not resuscitated. it is no longer on the tourism radar, even though Playa Dorada is the biggest all-inclusive complex on earth.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The only American tour operator I see promoting the north coast at all is Cheap Caribbean.com.

if Liberty and Apple aren't promoting the DR, then it may not be on the radar....
that was my point....

those two are indicative of current trends - IMO

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Something struck me in reading your post: Exactly what does Sosua have to attract tourists and what type of tourist are attracted to Sosua? (Not particularly directed at you or you post but to anyone)

No derogatory inference here, simply a question

A few people say that Sosua attracts different type than PC but exactly what is that type?

May years ago I first started visiting the DR as a young and single guy, it offered everything Women, alcohol, warm beaches and easy weekend travel I think that is all still available but it appears from post here that is not what Sosua is looking for?

Seriously, what does Sosua offer to tourist that can?t be found elsewhere and what type of tourist look for that which Sosua offers?

I guess I am just asking pretty much what you did, your question of "What does Sosua offer to the tourist" kind of hit me square in the face

when you find an answer to our question, be sure to share it with me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
On it's face it appears such a simple question but dammed if I can answer it

here is how i see it. if i am in the mood to bag an antelope or a wildebeest, i am off to somewhere in Africa. if i want to see religious artifacts, it is the Middle East. for plain , unadulterated spectacle of humanity...Times Square. if i am a sporting man, then i am off to Vegas, or Monte Carlo. i cannot replicate those destinations anywhere else.

what does Sosua have that i cannot find in most other caribbean islands?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Removed.

Remember, you're a mod :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
And you can thank the airport taxes which are higher than almost anywhere else.

Lorenzo is just following orders from Santo Domingo.

This is exactly the reason. I would bet that arrivals are up in Santiago. I fly in there on my way to Sosua due to the much(sometimes $200) cheaper flights!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is exactly the reason. I would bet that arrivals are up in Santiago. I fly in there on my way to Sosua due to the much(sometimes $200) cheaper flights!

This is just a very small part of the overall reason.

Look at earlier posts regarding tour operators.