Attempted carjacking on way back to Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nothing wrong with shooting the persons involved.

About three nights ago, two young men were coming back from San Pedro de Macor?s, and approximately there where this incident took place, they were attacked with gunfire. They were not hit and kept going.

They were given the runaround by Police, prosecutors, told to go here, then there, then over there, finally going, late the following afternoon to "El gobierno de la tarde" where they related the incident, showed the reporters the car and bullet holes.

All this goes to show that what happened to the OP and other posters is not isolated and seemingly common place in that area.

The RULE IS: STOP FOR NO ONE AT NIGHT, and dam* few in the daylight!!

Of course, when there are obvious police checkpoints, you obey indications...but these are well marked and well identified.

Be safe and be weary...

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Kudos to the op for keeping a level head. Driving at night here in unpopulated areas can be precarious, it is best to plan around it if at all possible.

My own experiance has been I have never had a problem driving to and from Las Americas airport from Santiago in the early morning hours or late at night. It could be that I have been very fortunate or that my suv is not in the best shape and would not be considered as new even at night and therefore I'm not much of a target.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HAHAHAHA< I just KNEW that didn't look right, and too dam* lazy to check it!!!

thanks...YES, very very wary...

Man enters exchange house.
Stands in back of Asian person.

Asian person says:
Why you gi' me olly 180 dolla'? Ye't'day you gimme two hunna dolla'!

Clerk says: Sorry sir, fluctuations!

Asian guy says: Well fluk you white people too!

Pays to know the language!!

Older HB

Reactions: FernieBee

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Boys and girls. Please understand that NALs' first priority is to put a shine on a sneaker.

He is very good at it. He was a limpiabota when he was a kid.

Celt202,
Understood! Thanks!
But in his constant and obvious attempts to whitewash all the stains out of the DR and paint it the colour of 'perfection' I guess he doesnt realize it calls into question his credibility. And I am sure he has some credible things to say.
Curious as to why he constantly feels he needs to do this?
(maybe just 'extreme' national pride or as the saying goes follow the money?)

Reactions: Malibook

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The RULE IS: STOP FOR NO ONE AT NIGHT, and dam* few in the daylight!!

Of course, when there are obvious police checkpoints, you obey indications...but these are well marked and well identified.

Be safe and be weary...

HB[/QUOTE]

Great advice for urban areas as well. I was going home alone down Anacaona Avenue around 2:30 in the morning once when a car with flashing bubble lights on top tried to get me to pull over. I don't pull over in isolated areas at night anyway and since I knew that I hadn't broken any laws I was really suspicious and I figured if they were legit they could wait to talk to me at my apartment complex with my guards and husband in attendance. I just put on my emergency flashers so they could see I acknowledged them (just in case they were legit) and continued on my way home. They followed for about a mile but took off when I wouldn't pull over.

I don't have any proof that they were ill intentioned but I figure the odds are pretty heavily weighted in that direction. Police officers understand a single person (woman espec.) driving on until there are lights and people around before pulling over if you explain your fears once you stop.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I have just read this complete thread and am astounded by NALs attitude who more or less attempted to turn the topic into a personal diatribe.
That is not the role of a moderator. A moderator's role is to manage a debate eg, keep debaters on topic, ensure cool heads prevail, etc. A referee if you like.
My 2 cents worth,
Mack

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Celt202,
Understood! Thanks!
But in his constant and obvious attempts to whitewash all the stains out of the DR and paint it the colour of 'perfection' I guess he doesnt realize it calls into question his credibility. And I am sure he has some credible things to say.
NALs doesn't live in the Dominican Republic, but somewhere in New England... His DR experiences are either from the Internet, or from his vacations short stays... Don't take him too seriously, he is also a strong PLD believer/propagandist...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
What in the world kind of response is that? Why are you giving this guy the third degree?
I know you already think tourists/expats are paranoid about crime in the DR, based on your poll.
But dont try to dismiss any reports of crime cause you think people are going to get paranoid or more paranoid.

Really what other many things could it have been?
A gang that likes to dance bachata with random people in the middle of highways? Do you think these people didnt have bad, illegal intentions?

BTW are you involved in DR tourism or real estate? Just curious.

Anyways to the OP I am glad you are safe.

And thank you for posting even though Nals doesnt think you did it in a timely manner.

I agree the reply is so rude, but now very common here.

"BTW are you involved in DR tourism or real estate? Just curious." Once upon a time DR1 was a reliable source of information, not a promotion site for DR where only "good" things about DR can be discussed.

I live, just like many ohers here in DR, because there are more pros than cons, still there are cons that u should know of if u live here. But this is not the source for that kind of information.

Remember the threads about the Icelandic girl that "died" in Cabarete that were closed immediately. Moderators: "No speculations" "When the investigations are done, u will read the whole story here on DR1"... yeah right... Facebook is the forum if you want information. DR1 is the forum if u need pros about DR, "Please let the value of our Real Estate go up..."

I read the "news" on DR1, often they make me laugh.

"Corruption down..." yeah right

"Whole Sosua police force fired due to corruption" yeah right. Same incompent faces what I can see...

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
..........I live, just like many ohers here in DR, because there are more pros than cons, still there are cons that u should know of if u live here. ........

I agree. Comes the day when the cons outnumber the pros I am so out of here.

I appreciate hearing about ambiguous occurrences such as the OP described as well as events where the intention is 100% obvious. The sum of all can help you adjust your radar to the potential serious risks here.

Dorothy, this ain't Kansas. :paranoid:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I choose not to drive at night; I am lucky in that I have the luxury of being able to make that choice. But I do not stop in the daytime when requested to pull over by a stranger unless I am in a populated street with people either hanging around or working on the street. Not even for one little man on a concho who was going to accuse me (wrongly) of reversing into him. He even had to pick up a stone to threaten my windscreen and still I indicated 'up ahead' where I could see people. Then when I did stop of course he became the bad guy for threatening to throw a stone at a 'defenceless' woman :cheeky:. Driving on to a populated area was automatic on my part, I really didn't have to think about it - in fact I would think something was amiss with me if I didn't do this.

Just one of the radar adjustments made here over the past 16 years because, as we all know, it didn't used to be necessary to do this.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Celt202,
Understood! Thanks!
The problem is that there are too many people in this website that appear to not be able to reason without falling into fallacious thought processes.

Hence, a good number is not mentally capable of understanding what I'm telling them and the only way they can attempt to discredit my argument is not by proving my argument to be false, but rather attacking something about me; in other words using fallacies. Then they get uncomfortable when I continue on with my argument, not realizing that they have only attacked me and not my argument.

If someone can prove to me that the following is not true, without resorting to fallacies and beyond a reasonable doubt, then I'll renounce my membership from this website by asking Robert to close my account:

NALs said:
No one here has proof of anything, even the OP; so for people to go around convincing themselves that it was X when it could had been Y or Z is dumb and irresponsible, IMO.

Notice, I'm not saying it wasn't a hijacking attempt, all I'm saying that it could had been an attempt and it could had also not been an attempt; thus no one really knows for sure, everyone can only guess including the OP. Everyone here seem to be 100% sure that it was an attempt (maybe they want it to be true, hence the jumping to conclusions?) and become uncomfortable when someone injects a realistic point of view into this.

So, go on little boys and girls. Prove beyond a reasonable doubt and without fallacious reasoning that this was a robbery attempt.

I doubt anyone is capable of doing such, but maybe I'm wrong.

Prove it and I'll shut up.

-NALs :pirate:

Last edited:

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
NALs,

As I previously stated, my reason for publishing what happened to me was to SHARE my experience with other DR1 readers. That, I understand, is the purpose of such forums.

Here, however, is what I know to be true about what happened that night:

FACT: The people in the car tried to physically PUSH me off the road with their vehicle several times.

FACT: They stopped their car THREE times in front of mine in an attempt to force me to stop on the motorway.

FACT: I was a woman travelling on her own in the dark on a road with very few other vehicles.

FACT: It scared the absolute hell out of me and my attempts to get away could have caused a high-speed accident.

It is pretty clear that the actions of those who were following me were 100% illegal so is it really that important what their intentions were? The point is, as I have already stated, what happened was extremely DANGEROUS and it is worrying to know that there are people out there who use such tactics to force others to stop in the dark FOR WHATEVER REASON.

Thank you.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Notice, I'm not saying it wasn't a hijacking attempt, all I'm saying that it could had been an attempt and it could had also not been an attempt; thus no one really knows for sure, everyone can only guess including the OP. Everyone here seem to be 100% sure that it was an attempt (maybe they want it to be true, hence the jumping to conclusions?) and become uncomfortable when someone injects a realistic point of view into this.

So, go on little boys and girls. prove beyond a reasonable doubt and without fallacious reasoning that his was a robbery attempt.

Can you not read what she writes?

"The car then purposely came up beside me and tried to force me off the road. It eventually stopped infront of me again and this time I came screeching to a halt.

I realised pretty quickly that I was in a very dangerous situation so once again drove round the vehicle and tried to get away. They attempted to force me off the road again and this time stopped sideways over two lanes and a guy in the car opened the door and stood in the middle of the third lane trying to make me stop."

Does it really matter if they wanted to steal the car, rob or rape her???
Lesson learned, be very careful driving night time. I have not experienced this, but I have twice been molested by the Policia Nacional night time. Not a good thing either. Remember to have some small bribe money in one pocket, and if u have bigger bills, keep them somewhere else.

Another reason for not driving night time is that horses, cows and bulls are heavy animals and hard to see night time in the traffic sometimes called "the war of the high beams".

Last edited:

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
So, go on little boys and girls. prove beyond a reasonable doubt and without fallacious reasoning that his was a robbery attempt.

NALs why does anyone have to "prove" anything to YOU?:confused:
Why don't you just back off and act like a "moderator"?:confused:
Mack.

Reactions: Celt202

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
FACT: It scared the absolute hell out of me

And so it should. That meant your antennae were correctly tuned and you did the right thing & got away.

NALS, you may discuss the semantics all you wish, but please don't ever, ever discourage people from having their antennae correctly tuned. That would be a great disservice. We all know who the hysterics are; we can read it in how they post. This lady isn't one of them.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

So, go on little boys and girls. Prove beyond a reasonable doubt and without fallacious reasoning that this was a robbery attempt.

I doubt anyone is capable of doing such, but maybe I'm wrong.

Are you trying to be annoying or does this come naturally to you?:angry:

Domilinguist clearly had plenty of reason to be concerned.

Just because we can't say for 100% certainty exactly what would have happened to her does not negate her justifiable fear.
Your logic is ludicrous.

Domilinguist did the right thing in erring on the side of caution and escaping the threat.

NALs, why would anybody feel a need to convince you beyond a reasonable doubt that it would have been a robbery, car jacking, rape, etc.?
Only a foolish idiot would want to see exactly what would happen to them in order to convince NALs.

NALs, why don't you just leave and let's see if there are any calls for you to return?:tired:

Reactions: Rocky
Mar 2, 2008
"So, go on little boys and girls. Prove beyond a reasonable doubt and without fallacious reasoning that this was a robbery attempt."

Your patronizing and condescending tone might even be humorous if it weren't so ubiquitously used by you. I think most of us understand by now how much you think of yourself and how little you think of others. It's no longer funny or effective.

Regardless, what possible difference does it make if it was a robbery attempt, an attempted kidnapping, rape, murder, shakedown, or any other crime?

The fact is, it was not an innocent act, nor was it something that should be forgotten, glossed over, or left unreported.

Whatever the intent, it is obvious to most clear-thinking adults there was potential harm to the driver. That is something worthy of our attention and interest, and certainly should not be downplayed by some sanctimonious self-server.

Sincerely.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Who cares if it was or it wasn't. The OP was scared as hell and obviously had good reason to feel like this. This is a warning to all, regardless of what country your in, be aware of your surroundings, take precautions, things can happen!

NALs, God forbid anyone would post something non-factual on DR1.
Maybe the OP should have found some photos on Google of attempted carjackings and posted them here. Long time posters will get the above, jejejeje ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.