Attempted carjacking on way back to Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Who cares if it was or it wasn't. The OP was scared as hell and obviously had good reason to feel like this. This is a warning to all, regardless of what country your in, be aware of your surroundings, take precautions, things can happen!

NALs, God forbid anyone would post something non-factual on DR1.
Maybe the OP should have found some photos on Google of attempted carjackings and posted them here. Long time posters will get the above, jejejeje ;)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
this whole thread reminds me when i was in guayacannes. First a guy approched us with a machette (I got nervous)...all he wanted to know is if we wanted him to climb a tree to get coconuts. Then another guy approached on horse with a shot gun. I got even more nervous. He just wanted to make sure that we werent taking the coconuts. We ended up hanging out with both of these guys for the entire day!

Luckily i was with a domincan friend...but if i was solo i would have freaked out.

I am just trying to say that not every scarey looking situation is dangerous.

I wouldnt pull over on the highway here in the US let a lone in the DR.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The only way to know for sure would be if the OP had gotten carjacked.

Then everyone would of known 100% what their intentions were.

It's not that difficult to observe preemptive intent, meaning you can ascertain what someone is up to by their behavior before the act.

If someone is behaving as these guys were, what possible motive could they have for doing so if not for the sole purpose of executing a carjacking?

I don't understand the need to give these tigres the benefit of the doubt as to what their true intentions were.

Last edited:

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
incredible remarks

Berzin, I could not agree with you more. After reading the thread my only conclusion was that a carjacking was about to happen if not for the steps taken to evade. Why NALS has taken this attitude is mind boggling especially if does not live here. Being a former San Diego Police Officer nothing came to mind other than a carjacking/robbery. I rarely post but this attitude/bullying woke up my desire.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Question for Robert

NALs threads have me wondering, is NALs a DR1 appointed "Moderator" or is that just some tag he's/she's bestowed upon him/herself. If he/she truly is a "Moderator" I think it's time he/she was relieved of that responsibility.
Mack.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
NALs threads have me wondering, is NALs a DR1 appointed "Moderator" or is that just some tag he's/she's bestowed upon him/herself. If he/she truly is a "Moderator" I think it's time he/she was relieved of that responsibility.
Mack.

"Moderator" on dr1 equals "Do not dare to write anything negative about the DR"... still for me more pros than cons, but NALs posts are just ridiculous...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Who cares if it was or it wasn't. The OP was scared as hell and obviously had good reason to feel like this. This is a warning to all, regardless of what country your in, be aware of your surroundings, take precautions, things can happen!

NALs, God forbid anyone would post something non-factual on DR1.
Maybe the OP should have found some photos on Google of attempted carjackings and posted them here. Long time posters will get the above, jejejeje ;)

You can say that again! :cheeky:

Mack.

NALs is OK. He's a native Dominican and loves his country. He gets prickly about anything that could show anything negative about the DR.

Heck, I'm an American citizen and I can feel prickly at anything criticizing the USA but if I can get beyond that it's interesting to see the perspective of people born outside the USA even when I don't agree with them.

Years ago when I was working in the boonies in Thailand I had a shortwave radio and I used to listen to the late Alistair Cook's Letter from America a recurring 15 minute radio report on the BBC World Service. It was an affectionate look at American life from a Brit who had migrated to the USA. It was astounding to me because he saw things from a perspective that had never occurred to me.

By the same token as an American expat I eat up anything other expats from any country have to say about the DR because they often see things through a perspective that helps me cope with life in this enchanted if occasionally maldita isle. :paranoid:

I also lap up what PICHARDO has to say because he obviously sees things at a level that is broad and deep and way beyond what will be readily revealed to the average expat.

So, in the words of that great American philosopher Rodney King can't we all just get along? :p

Hey it's not easy blogging in from a 2 bedroom apartment above a pizza parlor in Bridgeport. ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Let's vote!

PICHARDO for MOD, as long as he honors his promise for a DR1 Beef-Jerky discount at his Chevron mini mart.
:bunny:

May 5, 2007
Prove what to who?

Nals; I think this may be the first time I have posted a "personal" criticism on this board, but you have become completely unreasonable and your commentary is hollow.

Most of your very long posts (A truly intelligent person is able to summarize their point without rambling, "wordiness" is not intelligence, make that your new goal) have been filled with some sort of information, mostly described as factual by yourself, but generally tainted and biased, but always interesting so I would read them and chuckle at your attempts to divert the point to one making the DR look perfect.

I'm pretty certain I am not the sole person on thsi site who reads ANY post by you and immediately discount it's veracity as we realize it will be pro DR, anti the rest of the World no matter the content

If someone discusses being robbed in Sosua, you immediately tell of robberies in the Bronx, who cares? Do you believe by posting the problems in other areas of the World the ones in the DR go away?

NAL, you unfortunately have become very tainted and it is hard to take you seriously any longer, that is unfortunate as I believe you are intelligent in a peculiar sort of way

To deride this person for claiming to be the victim of a possible carjacking is preposterous, what other reason would the unknown subjects try to block his path multiple times? Maybe they wanted directions, or could it have been Ed McMahon delivering that Publishers Clearing House check

NALS, if I tell you I am on a ranch in Texas and hear hoof beats behind me, do I need to prove to you it is not a Zebra?

Your rhetoric has really become tiring, try responding to the question instead of making a feeble attempt at diversion

Get back on track!

Lest have a poll: Do you feel NALS "Facts" are slanted and biased

The problem is that there are too many people in this website that appear to not be able to reason without falling into fallacious thought processes.

Hence, a good number is not mentally capable of understanding what I'm telling them and the only way they can attempt to discredit my argument is not by proving my argument to be false, but rather attacking something about me; in other words using fallacies. Then they get uncomfortable when I continue on with my argument, not realizing that they have only attacked me and not my argument.

If someone can prove to me that the following is not true, without resorting to fallacies and beyond a reasonable doubt, then I'll renounce my membership from this website by asking Robert to close my account:

Notice, I'm not saying it wasn't a hijacking attempt, all I'm saying that it could had been an attempt and it could had also not been an attempt; thus no one really knows for sure, everyone can only guess including the OP. Everyone here seem to be 100% sure that it was an attempt (maybe they want it to be true, hence the jumping to conclusions?) and become uncomfortable when someone injects a realistic point of view into this.

So, go on little boys and girls. Prove beyond a reasonable doubt and without fallacious reasoning that this was a robbery attempt.

I doubt anyone is capable of doing such, but maybe I'm wrong.

Prove it and I'll shut up.

-NALs :pirate:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
NALs is OK. He's a native Dominican and loves his country. He gets prickly about anything that could show anything negative about the DR.

That also explains his post about driving in the DR...

"Driving in the DR is not what many make it seem here.

Sure, there are moments when you will say to yourself "oh my God", but in time you will agree with me that based on the expectation some have created here, you will more likely be asking yourself "what is all the fuss about?"

Really, driving in the DR is like driving everywhere else.

Sometimes you see crazy things, but most of the time you do not.

-NALs"

"Really, driving in the DR is like driving everywhere else."

Yeap it is, like, like, like, driving in Nagua...

Keep up the good work.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
This topic has been HI-JACKED

Robert,
It's time to shut this topic down and fire its "Moderator". Namely NALs.
Mack.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
NALs,

As I previously stated, my reason for publishing what happened to me was to SHARE my experience with other DR1 readers. That, I understand, is the purpose of such forums.

Here, however, is what I know to be true about what happened that night:

FACT: The people in the car tried to physically PUSH me off the road with their vehicle several times.

FACT: They stopped their car THREE times in front of mine in an attempt to force me to stop on the motorway.

FACT: I was a woman travelling on her own in the dark on a road with very few other vehicles.

FACT: It scared the absolute hell out of me and my attempts to get away could have caused a high-speed accident.

It is pretty clear that the actions of those who were following me were 100% illegal so is it really that important what their intentions were? The point is, as I have already stated, what happened was extremely DANGEROUS and it is worrying to know that there are people out there who use such tactics to force others to stop in the dark FOR WHATEVER REASON.

Thank you.

Domilinguist - thank you for posting your experience. It is extremely sad that you feel the need to further defend yourself. I hope that this experience (both on and off the road!) doesn't discourage you too much.

---

I am embarrased as a member of this forum to see what our fellow members have subjected this woman too. For those of you who wish to make an already stressful and emotion experience worse, you are doing a great job.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Mack.

Mack,
Not that I agree with NALs opinion, but in all fairness, he is entitled to have whatever opinion he wants. Being a moderator does not require you to be an 'angel' without opinions, but primarily a function to ensure that the rules of the site are respected.

Being a moderator does not mean that he can not have his private opinions about subjects;

cheers

Last edited:

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
know for sure locals don't like driving that road

i was in the dr over the holidays staying in boca chica but went to consuelo everyday i was there. my dominican friends from consuelo forbid me from driving that stretch between san pedro and boca chica at night. said there have been many carjackings and robberies using the exact method the op described. by the way i did not have any problems while i was there but i keep my eyes open all the time. t

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Carjacking or Postjacking

Mack,
Not that I agree with NALs opinion, but in all fairness, he is entitled to have whatever opinion he wants. Being a moderator does not require you to be an 'angel' without opinions, but primarily a function to ensure that the rules of the site are respected.
Being a moderator does not mean that he can not have his private opinions about subjects

Sorry Arrica, no disrespect, but being a "Moderator" means that you forego the privilage of your opinion. Just as a judge would do.
As I said before. This post was HI-JACKED a long time ago.
If you want to debate the role of a "Moderator" start a new post.
Mack.

Status
Not open for further replies.