Attention: DR1 Daily News contributor robbed at home

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
what a terrible thing to happen to you. Good for you to keep a clear head and not panic (or as much as much as possible) and to do what the thief wanted - not looking him. Reading your account of what happened and your subsequent post I admire your fortitude.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
This can happen to everyone. But you went through something before and now again. Unbelievable. Your guardian angel seems to be the best around. I wish you a speedy recovery.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
firstly, let me express relief that it was not worse...although this is a case of it being easier for me to say. hurry up and get well. you are one tough lady, and i know you will shake this off, in short order.

be well...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am so sorry this happened to you. So glad your ok. Your definitely one tough lady indeed. My best to you and your family.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It is horrible that this happened to you. I wish you a very quick and healthy recovery. Hope they catch this SOB and bang his head against the wall for a while. I would certainly help them.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dios te bendiga Matilda.
I am glad to hear that you are healing. Stay strong.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hope you get well soon and the perp is caught and thrown in the slammer for good.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to hear about your incident. All you can do is increase security. Maybe higher walls, barb wire, cameras etc. Mean looking dogs has worked well for me. My dogs are not dangerous but look very mean. I have three dobermans and a local street dog. I dont believe in having guns as that usually means you become a target just to get the gun off you. These house robbers usually get caught by the police and are quite often killed. Or they go to jail were they usually get out in 1-2 years. Their survival rate is very low. Most are feeding a drug habit and belong to gangs.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Really sorry to hear about this but I'm sure you'll be up and "waltzing" again Matilda!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry to hear this, but very happy that you came out alive.

To help us improve our security can you expand on what security measures you have? Do you usually keep your doors unlocked during the day? How well protected is your yard? wall, barb wire, electric fence, bars on windows and doors? Anything in hindsight you would have done?

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Matilda, I am truly sorry to hear of this matter, but remain delighted that you are alive, well, and recovered. I have nothing but respect for the manner that you handled and are handling this situation. It must be a challenge. Carry on. I hope that I have an opportunity to visit you at some point. Carry on.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Matilda, having only met you once with Chivi in Sosua and reading your books and blogs I am a fan of your ferocity and strength to survive. I am just very distressed that happened to you in your mountain paradise. Open doors sharing neighbours and witches could not protect you and that defines this country. It can happen and you must maintain situational awareness but it a sad fact that even in our safe reserves and the best village and neighbours we are still vulnerable. I hope you recover well and this pos is caught by the villages and dealt with accordingly. I trust you will survive this and I hope to get down there and see you back on your feet. I know Danillo must be very upset and berserk with rage but I hope he does not blame himself. I hope Chivi learns from this as well.
To those who know you and love you we hope you and your family recover well.
love matt.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry to hear this, but very happy that you came out alive.

To help us improve our security can you expand on what security measures you have? Do you usually keep your doors unlocked during the day? How well protected is your yard? wall, barb wire, electric fence, bars on windows and doors? Anything in hindsight you would have done?

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Looking at security depends very much on individual circumstances and location. We live in a campo where there has been no robberies or attacks for over 400 years. Never. Not one neighbour has bars, or locks, nothing. We have a high 10 foot brick wall around the front, padlocked gate, metal gate locked. At the back we have around 7 tareas, a wood on one side, bush on the other and locked patio doors which yes get opened in the morning to go out and feed the chickens. Four dogs. Nothing in hindsight would have done - they want to rob you, they do. Police taking it seriously not just locally but the General at the regional center. Fiscal and medical examiner. Take it from me, if people want to rob you the security measures you have are never enough. Watchymen hide under beds, bars can be cut through, you have a gun they can come to rob your gun, or shoot faster than you. Happens everywhere, not just here. In hindsight, nothing I would have done differently, maybe kept the horrid attacking noisy geese. I survived, that is all that matters. The pain and the bruising will go in time.

Matilda

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Another example of how a life with savages results in savagery. There is nothing that she could have done differently. Sadly these are the risks of living in the RD and another example of why I have no desire to expose my beloved children to the lowest common denominator of humanity

Last edited by a moderator:

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Another example of how a life with savages results in savagery. There is nothing that she could have done differently. Sadly these are the risks of living in the RD and another example of why I have no desire to expose my beloved children to the lowest common denominator of humanity.

All I can see from Northern Florida is God Bless America and God Bless DJT for trying to keep us safe from 600 million savages South of us.

Oh dear. So sad and very worrying to see that some people really think like this. Please don't ever come to Dom Rep, it is a much nicer place without you.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Oh dear. So sad and very worrying to see that some people really think like this. Please don't ever come to Dom Rep, it is a much nicer place without you.

Haha ... Dominican here, still own a nice little apartment that you couldn't afford to rent. Trust me, the people that make RD run feel the same way and are only there because they have to. I cut ties and live the good life in USA