Attention: DR1 Daily News contributor robbed at home

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Its a reality, not a thought.

Have you not read the OP?

This poor women has made her home the Dominican Republic and made herself part of the community. This is how we thank her !!

USA and England are in angst about how to accommodate illegal economic migrants, meanwhile the same people they worship will kill them for 250 dollars.

I hope she moves on from our failed state and finds solace in the embrace of where she should never have left.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Any words on the perp? Has he been identified or caught. In a smaller place like the campo around Moncion everybody knows everybody's business.
Even here in the center of Jarabacoa , if somebody stops at my front door or looks in the door my neighbours will either ask them what they want and will always tell us who the person was.
We are currently preparing to build in the countryside and know that you can't make your place thief proof without having a fortress so it is a compromise between security and not living inside a prison.
Glad to hear Lindsay is recovering well. It is a shame that they had no medical insurance as basic insurance in quite cheap.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is crime everywhere and home invasions by thugs are a real possibility. Whether you are leaving a bank, riding a bus or lounging at home reading a book, if someone thinks you have what they want, some day they may try to take it.

You do what you can to minimize the risks, with both passive and active security options, but in the end your fate is in the hands of your fellow man. Cats may have nine lives, people have but one. Complacency benefits only the criminals. In this country, every time you look into the eyes of a Dominican, Haitian, or foreigner, you have to assume that somewhere in their psyche is the willingness to do you harm. Friends do steal from friends when the circumstances are right, and a criminal's sense of self preservation is strong in the moment. People are violent creatures who repress their savagery within a society by choice. Changing circumstances, a compelling need or an emotional outburst can bring our true nature to the surface in a heartbeat. Like a gazelle on the Savannah, you can never assume that you are completely safe as the potential for harm is as close as the person you see and maybe even closer from someone you don't see.

We would like to think that we can shrug off these experiences and not let them change us. In the end, it really isn't about "us". It's about the actions of others, over which we have no control. As it is for the the gazelle, we humans ignore life's teaching moments at our continued peril. What happened to Matilda is sad and infuriating because we know her. We also know that this scenario plays out everyday all over this island in one form or another. We can never be 100% sure why people do the horrible things they choose to do so we have to at least accept and react as if there is a lion in the grass all the time, because usually there is, just waiting for the right moment or a better target.

Get well soon Matilda. You really should buy a lottery ticket.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Any words on the perp? Has he been identified or caught. In a smaller place like the campo around Moncion everybody knows everybody's business.
Even here in the center of Jarabacoa , if somebody stops at my front door or looks in the door my neighbours will either ask them what they want and will always tell us who the person was.
We are currently preparing to build in the countryside and know that you can't make your place thief proof without having a fortress so it is a compromise between security and not living inside a prison.
Glad to hear Lindsay is recovering well. It is a shame that they had no medical insurance as basic insurance in quite cheap.

Potential perps arrested, I made one identification and asked to hear his voice, and suggested alibi checked (haha) as I know the time exactly. That did not happen and am making the appropriate fuss. The fiscal has been excellent and professional, the medical examiner excellent but reserving judgement until another 15 days have passed in case of further brain related complications, and another CAT scan. Colonel from Santiago Rodriguez excellent. But law says perps have to be released after 48 hours but it is known where they live and Mr. Mat and I are continuing to look for concrete evidence. I did have basic insurance but was not accepted by the clinic where the neuro surgeon is, and unfortunately I needed a neuro surgeon. I will upgrade as soon as able to do so.
Thanks all for your continued good wishes.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Potential perps arrested, I made one identification and asked to hear his voice, and suggested alibi checked (haha) as I know the time exactly. That did not happen and am making the appropriate fuss. The fiscal has been excellent and professional, the medical examiner excellent but reserving judgement until another 15 days have passed in case of further brain related complications, and another CAT scan. Colonel from Santiago Rodriguez excellent. But law says perps have to be released after 48 hours but it is known where they live and Mr. Mat and I are continuing to look for concrete evidence. I did have basic insurance but was not accepted by the clinic where the neuro surgeon is, and unfortunately I needed a neuro surgeon. I will upgrade as soon as able to do so.

Matilda

Well that somes pretty similar to some of the goings on around here, where you know who the guilty is but trying to find proof positive is tricky. We have an employee whose husband was murdered by his cousin, and the guy is in jail but at least once a year she has to go to court so they will keep him in prison. Takes some adjusting to get used to the justice system here.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Nothing but admiration for your handling of this experience both during and since. I'm no doctor but I think your head is just fine. It's ****ed off. So are we. Hope you nail this guy.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Matilda sorry to hear this but am glad your ok.

hope you can find the proof, or at least insure some street justice.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
...We live in a campo where there has been no robberies or attacks for over 400 years...
Matilda

I hope you fully recover, Matilda. Based on reading your posts in this thread, you come across fine mentally. This is not to say you should pass on seeing a neurologist -- head injuries are complex at times. Hopefully, another 400 years will pass before something like this happens again.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

Matilda

Truly sorry to hear about what has occurred here. I hope that you make a full recovery, but having been through some very difficult things myself lately here in this country-I know the psychological scars will linger on for a while yet.

On a side note-you may have found the only fiscal in this country that actually intends to investigate crime. Here's a word of advice-never sign any 'acuerdo' or 'concilleracion', if the suspects are fully apprehended and identified. I recommend to get a good criminal lawyer. Prepare for a game with this fiscal. Prepare to file an 'objecion' and 'qurella' in the courts to prosecute. Remember that you get only 5 business days from receiving a Provisional Archivo document signed and dated to file the objection in the courts and get a judge to overturn the Public Ministry's attempt to archive your case for one bogus reason or another. Remember, justice takes a backseat to money here in this country-those that pay can play-victims of crime need to pay as well. LOL.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Truly sorry to hear about what has occurred here. I hope that you make a full recovery, but having been through some very difficult things myself lately here in this country-I know the psychological scars will linger on for a while yet.

On a side note-you may have found the only fiscal in this country that actually intends to investigate crime. Here's a word of advice-never sign any 'acuerdo' or 'concilleracion', if the suspects are fully apprehended and identified. I recommend to get a good criminal lawyer. Prepare for a game with this fiscal. Prepare to file an 'objecion' and 'qurella' in the courts to prosecute. Remember that you get only 5 business days from receiving a Provisional Archivo document signed and dated to file the objection in the courts and get a judge to overturn the Public Ministry's attempt to archive your case for one bogus reason or another. Remember, justice takes a backseat to money here in this country-those that pay can play-victims of crime need to pay as well. LOL.

Thank you for all your advice and the time you took to write. Husband is a lawyer, big guns on the case, will advise outcome when am able to do so safely. To date have only been treated with respect and total professionalism and a complete lack of games of any type. Justice can work here, if you know and understand the system - although I know it can be difficult.

Matilda

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey, I am just now reading about this. You are one heck of a woman! Glad it wasn’t any worse. Living in the campo myself, I know that everyone talks. What are the others in your campo saying? When crime happens here where I am the perpetrator is usually from somewhere else. Be well, wise strong woman. You are a heroine!

Lindsey

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Matilda I respect and admire your ability to persevere. And having followed your blog for years, I also think you should buy a lottery ticket. I hope the thug that did this to you gets both “court” and street justice. Bless your heart for your optimistic outlook and may you recover quickly.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am sorry to hear about your terrible experience, and like others I am glad you seem to be fine and hopefully getting some justice....

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Another example of how a life with savages results in savagery. There is nothing that she could have done differently. Sadly these are the risks of living in the RD and another example of why I have no desire to expose my beloved children to the lowest common denominator of humanity

It's unfortunate, but I am seeing more of this activity lately around my parts in the Capital-seems like things are getting worse in many ways rather than better-possibly the economic situation has something to do with this-either way-I reiterate my last post that the risks here seem greater now and the Fiscal and legal system is something less than desirable in dealing with criminal activity.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Wow! I just tuned in!
Quite the happenings, for sure.
I believe the ''cool head'' is more the credit for survival than a tough lady... from the initial contact until they departed. and not really a ''stick-up''.
''Don't hurt the dogs''... what a tremendous response.... Matilda thinking of others ; especially her dogs.
No doubt this was a crime of opportunity ; one where the perp thought no one was home.

Good on ya! Matilda.
A good friend of mine stated that a gaggle of geese are far better watch-creatures than dogs..... not sure myself ; but worth the thoughts.....
Get well soon!
Russell

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Wow! I just tuned in!
Quite the happenings, for sure.
I believe the ''cool head'' is more the credit for survival than a tough lady... from the initial contact until they departed. and not really a ''stick-up''.
''Don't hurt the dogs''... what a tremendous response.... Matilda thinking of others ; especially her dogs.
No doubt this was a crime of opportunity ; one where the perp thought no one was home.

Good on ya! Matilda.
A good friend of mine stated that a gaggle of geese are far better watch-creatures than dogs..... not sure myself ; but worth the thoughts.....
Get well soon!
Russell

Ha. Got rid of the geese over Christmas. Far too noisy, far too vicious and kept attacking me, the dogs and the chickens. They may be reinstated.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is an update, a week after the attack. I was not targeted; my husband was not targeted. This was a random attack. Two young guys were in the woods which many houses back on to, scoping out potential homes to rob. They saw my female Canadian visitor and Mr. Mat going out for a run and assumed our house was empty. One stayed with the motorcycle and the other came into our house expecting it to be empty. I saw his face, he pulled out a gun, and he was terrified, screaming at me not to look at him. Hence, I had to be eliminated and he was within 30 seconds of doing so by suffocation when Mr. Mat and friend came back. He then hit my hard on the temple (according to the neuro surgeon that is what they do in lucha libre as bleeds so much) hoping the deed was done. Luckily it wasn’t.

The police and judiciary have been very good – three different police forces involved, daily visits, statements, medical examinations, fiscals, evidence and it is known who the guys were and the police are on the case and I am confident they will resolve the crime.

It took me a while to work it out. The guy looked Dominican but he wasn’t. He spoke Dominican Spanish but he didn’t. He looked Dominican but he wasn't Dominicans don’t use suffocation nor the level of violence I experienced. And this guy had done it before – he was a professional. Eventually I realized although it took me a few days. He was Venezuelan. I had no idea there were any here.

So, I am still under the doctors. I get tired very easily, especially if I have to concentrate. I forget words and which language I am speaking in, I forget why I went into the kitchen or the bathroom. I have a paper and pen to write things down on so I remember what I have to do. I also need help walking as am still a bit shaky on my feet. The bruises are healing slowly although more are appearing at the same time. I need to see an ophthalmologist as I have things floating in my eye and keep an eye out for convulsions or any neurological issues. I also need another cat scan.

Thank you again for all of your support.

Matilda