Baby shot in Sosua in drug gangs shoot out.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
People, these things happen. It is unbearably sad. Just like the 12 year old boy who died in the waterfall recently. Just like all the people who simply disappeared in the recent Tsunami. Just like all the kids who died in the streets of Calcutta today.

I have never been to La Piedra and I would not go there. I just wonder why it is so necessary to prove anything?. What are you looking for Lambada? Live and let live already! Drug crime does *not* impact me, unless I happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that will also be sad and unfortunate.

Sure, it is sad. But bad things happen as Chris points out. For what possible reason can some poster want the name of the mother of the dead child. To make a condolence call?

I doubt if very many Dominicans who are talking about this incident know who the mother of the child is or are going to make an effort to find out.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
For what possible reason can some poster want the name of the mother of the dead child. To make a condolence call?

with all due respect ken, knowing trina and her family ties in Sosua, i suspect that that is exactly what she would want to do, should this somehow have happened to someone in her circle of friends and family
mob

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ken said:
Sure, it is sad. But bad things happen as Chris points out. For what possible reason can some poster want the name of the mother of the dead child. To make a condolence call?

Perhaps, Ken - my husband used to live around La Piedra, that's why I'd like to know. Thought it might be a little easier going through this avenue than trying to phone - due to the heavy rains, we either can't hear people we are talking to, or the calls simply do not go through. Guess it's not going to be easier - sorry I asked.

I doubt if very many Dominicans who are talking about this incident know who the mother of the child is or are going to make an effort to find out.

Are you kidding? After living in the DR this many years, you don't know about the strong family commitment and compassion shown to families who lose their children? Hundreds showed up for the funeral, as stated in the article - yet no one is making an effort? Maybe not some of the ex-pats who have no connection to this crime, but please don't slight the Dominicans for it.

Thanks Mob, you're exactly right - I'm beside myself, being a mother and having a husband who used to live in the area.

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Please exibit some respect for the baby's family...

With this in mind. There is a mourning period that Dominicans go through. They remain soley with the family. Let us please take notice to this and pay our respects to this child, her mother and his family (at a distance). After this mourning period is finished the family then welcomes friends and those concerned, but never until then.

I understand that we are all concerned and I am sure that this poor baby's family appreciates all of this.

However....

The need to "know" who the baby's mother's name IS NOT IMPORTANT at this time.

When the time comes we will have this information and it SHOULD NOT be plastered all over this message board. This is NOT the Dominican way.

All Dominicans that are reading this are nodding their heads in agreement at this moment. Please, have respect....

Thanks

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
With this in mind. There is a mourning period that Dominicans go through. They remain soley with the family. Let us please take notice to this and pay our respects to this child, her mother and his family (at a distance). After this mourning period is finished the family then welcomes friends and those concerned, but never until then.

I understand that we are all concerned and I am sure that this poor baby's family appreciates all of this.

However....

The need to "know" who the baby's mother's name IS NOT IMPORTANT at this time.

When the time comes we will have this information and it SHOULD NOT be plastered all over this message board. This is NOT the Dominican way.

All Dominicans that are reading this are nodding their heads in agreement at this moment. Please, have respect....

Thanks

While I won't argue with what you say, of course we wouldn't make a call if we weren't family of the people involved. At this point, since we haven't heard from anyone, we're thinking the mother is probably not somebody we know. However, one of the purposes of having a message board such as this one is to keep people far away connected to the country they love. We're not considering this gossip, we're concerned that someone in need is dealing with something horrible, y sin saber, we can't help in any way.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
trina said:
While I won't argue with what you say, of course we wouldn't make a call if we weren't family of the people involved. At this point, since we haven't heard from anyone, we're thinking the mother is probably not somebody we know. However, one of the purposes of having a message board such as this one is to keep people far away connected to the country they love. We're not considering this gossip, we're concerned that someone in need is dealing with something horrible, y sin saber, we can't help in any way.

Trina,

I believe you know what I meant and I too agree with you. It is the ones that do not understand the complexity of the Dominican's emotions. If there are loved ones out there that do need to know then we should all pull together to help in anyway we can. On the other hand as much as we want to help this poor family we also must protect them.

It is..... those others that have no other purpose other then to spread misinformation and rumors I fear for these people. The last thing these people need is prying minds. I will call and see what I can find and if anyone wishes to know who they are it should be respectfully done through a PM and NOT on a message board.

Trina I am not sure if your husband agrees with me on this and I respect him if he doesn't. My family, being from not too far away in Jamao Del Norte and Imbert grieve this way and that is not too far from Sosua.

I am left with complete sorrow and profound respect for this family.

Scottie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
Trina I am not sure if your husband agrees with me on this and I respect him if he doesn't. My family, being from not too far away in Jamao Del Norte and Imbert grieve this way and that is not too far from Sosua.

I am left with complete sorrow and profound respect for this family.

Scottie

No, of course PM'ing would be the best option. If anyone would be so kind as to let me know if they hear anything, we'd be very grateful. My son is 3, and I am in tears just thinking about it; it really hit close to home. Like you, we are very troubled by this and are left with the utmost respect to those involved. Since we haven't heard anything from family and friends, I am quite sure we do not know the family.

d life

Oct 11, 2004
My heart is with the family. And I sypathize with them for their loss. It is a very painful thing and I know what it means to lose a child. It is not something that should be discussed here. If there is something that we want to do as a board lets do it for the family or to those that are responsibe for addresisng the situation and if not. I believe that we should leave the issue alone.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have been visiting the Dominican Repuplic for less than 2 years, and in the past 8 months there have been 3 deaths in the small circle of Dominicans I am involved with. One was a 2 year old child, and none of the deaths was by natural causes. By Gringo standards, life in the DR can be very dangerous and grim. As an American in my 60s, even though I am actively involved with Dominican families, I must recognize the importance of looking out for myself and realize that I will never really have an insider's understanding of Dominican life. For that reason, I think it's wrong to criticize gringos for living in gated communities or being insulated from Dominican life. These people have a right to live that way, they contribute greatly to the economy and employment, they obey the laws and create no problems, only opportunities in the DR. There is no particular virtue in just being exposed to something. There is if you are helping or contributing to the betterment of people, but that's not for everyone. Live and let live.- D

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Live and let live

Danny W said:
I have been visiting the Dominican Repuplic for less than 2 years, and in the past 8 months there have been 3 deaths in the small circle of Dominicans I am involved with. One was a 2 year old child, and none of the deaths was by natural causes. By Gringo standards, life in the DR can be very dangerous and grim. As an American in my 60s, even though I am actively involved with Dominican families, I must recognize the importance of looking out for myself and realize that I will never really have an insider's understanding of Dominican life. For that reason, I think it's wrong to criticize gringos for living in gated communities or being insulated from Dominican life. These people have a right to live that way, they contribute greatly to the economy and employment, they obey the laws and create no problems, only opportunities in the DR. There is no particular virtue in just being exposed to something. There is if you are helping or contributing to the betterment of people, but that's not for everyone. Live and let live.- D

Thanks Danny,

It is called "live and let live" and "to each their own"! I wish all happiness and do not wish to judge others although my tolerance of some of the misguided often wears on my patience. Thanks to Marco he keeps me aware of this!

Scottie

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
I didnt know about this because I'm in the Uk now, I got back during the week. I am upset at the article but I am really shocked too. Honestly, I thought Sosua was safe and I didnt know there was a lot of gun crime. The worst thing is though, that the innocent person shot was just a baby. Now, I dont know enough spanish to understand all of the article, but based on the fact that a baby was shot in a drugs and gang related way in Sosua....I am very shocked.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Simon & Nicky said:
The baby was caught in cross-fire, the perpetrators will be severly punished, it was very sad, what else is there to add?

(Bolding mine)
Unfortunately that is probably too much to ask, knowing the way the justice system works here.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Why all the brouhaha?

Prior to moving here almost 2 years ago I lived on Long Island, New York for 7 years.

In my time living there, I recall frequent news reports (well frequent enough for me to recall them) of young people, children and yes babies being "caught in the cross-fire" of drug related or gang related gun battles.

I recall one story of a baby being killed whilst he/she slept on the 2nd floor of an apartment building. The stray bullet passed clean through the wooden siding of the apartment.

Hell even a 21 year old girl was killed after being hit in the face by a stray bullet from a drug shoot-out in a bar located no more than 10 minutes from my front door.

My point is that where-ever a drug culture is tolerated it will ALWAYS be backed up with guns and violence.

The DR is not therefore particularly different from elsewhere.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Apparently, the residents of La Piedra have "disassembled" the shooter's home there and chucked it, and all his possessions, into the ocean.

For a short time, I lived in La Piedra in a house owned by my husband's brother.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jane J. said:
Apparently, the residents of La Piedra have "disassembled" the shooter's home there and chucked it, and all his possessions, into the ocean.

For a short time, I lived in La Piedra in a house owned by my husband's brother.

Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about that kind of vigalante justice. I can appreciate the sentiment behind it, but wish they would have found something more creative to do with the stuff other than further cluttering up the shore.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about that kind of vigalante justice. I can appreciate the sentiment behind it, but wish they would have found something more creative to do with the stuff other than further cluttering up the shore.

That's the way it is done there! It seems to work....

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gjsuk said:
Prior to moving here almost 2 years ago I lived on Long Island, New York for 7 years.

In my time living there, I recall frequent news reports (well frequent enough for me to recall them) of young people, children and yes babies being "caught in the cross-fire" of drug related or gang related gun battles.

I recall one story of a baby being killed whilst he/she slept on the 2nd floor of an apartment building. The stray bullet passed clean through the wooden siding of the apartment.

Hell even a 21 year old girl was killed after being hit in the face by a stray bullet from a drug shoot-out in a bar located no more than 10 minutes from my front door.

My point is that where-ever a drug culture is tolerated it will ALWAYS be backed up with guns and violence.

The DR is not therefore particularly different from elsewhere.
Well said and to the point. There seems to be alterior motives for the original post other than to be informational in my opinion.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
Well said and to the point. There seems to be alterior motives for the original post other than to be informational in my opinion.

News is news. I don't think we need any conspiracy theories thank you very much. Puerto Plata has people dealing in drugs, just like Santo Domingo, Santiago and virtually every city on the planet.

It clearly states it was in Sosua and that it was drug related.
It was covered in two of the national newspapers.

"Cientos de personas participaron hoy en el entierro de un ni?o de dos a?os muerto ayer de un balazo a la cabeza, durante un enfrentamiento entre dos bandas de narcotraficantes en Sos?a.

En el sepelio del ni?o Cristopher Quiroz Mart?nez, de dos a?os, hijo de Jos? Fernando Quiroz, residente en el sector La Piedra, de Sos?a, participaron personas de todos los estratos sociales, que demandaban a las autoridades poner fin a las actividades de los narcotraficantes y otros delincuentes en esa zona..."

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Robert said:
News is news. I don't think we need any conspiracy theories thank you very much. Puerto Plata has people dealing in drugs, just like Santo Domingo, Santiago and virtually every city on the planet.

It clearly states it was in Sosua and that it was drug related.
It was covered in two of the national newspapers.

"Cientos de personas participaron hoy en el entierro de un ni?o de dos a?os muerto ayer de un balazo a la cabeza, durante un enfrentamiento entre dos bandas de narcotraficantes en Sos?a.

En el sepelio del ni?o Cristopher Quiroz Mart?nez, de dos a?os, hijo de Jos? Fernando Quiroz, residente en el sector La Piedra, de Sos?a, participaron personas de todos los estratos sociales, que demandaban a las autoridades poner fin a las actividades de los narcotraficantes y otros delincuentes en esa zona..."

How right you are, Robert. Indeed there is drug related crime in Puerto Plata & it is probably only a matter of luck that up to now an innocent 2 year old has not been caught in the middle of it. It could happen next week.

And could I ask your advice on a post to which you responded? Would you say that an 'alterior' motive is higher than an 'ulterior' one? ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lambada said:
How right you are, Robert. Indeed there is drug related crime in Puerto Plata & it is probably only a matter of luck that up to now an innocent 2 year old has not been caught in the middle of it. It could happen next week.

And could I ask your advice on a post to which you responded? Would you say that an 'alterior' motive is higher than an 'ulterior' one? ;)

My spell checker is as bad as me :)