Baby shot in Sosua in drug gangs shoot out.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
I dont understand...

Escott said:
Most gringos do NOT go to Charimicos for anything. A lot of us do. I feel very safe there also. An unfortunate incident like this changes NADA for me also in terms of returning there for any reason.

Scott

Why would a white person not enter Charimico??? It changes absolutely nothing for me as well... with the exception of I know the family and I grieve for them. I go into Charimico at least once a day ... if not more... I eat there... I shop there... I have even slept there... I do not understand fear... when there is nothing to be afraid of...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
GirlieGirl said:
Why would a white person not enter Charimico??? It changes absolutely nothing for me as well... with the exception of I know the family and I grieve for them. I go into Charimico at least once a day ... if not more... I eat there... I shop there... I have even slept there... I do not understand fear... when there is nothing to be afraid of...
I guess some people find an area that is occupied by 99% Dominicans either intimidating or maybe just unappealing. I enjoy the area and go there all the time. You will have to walk the streets and ask people why they don't go there.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
trina said:
It is quite hard for me to understand that anyone is NOT affected by the cold-blooded killing of a baby, Scott. I am in Canada and it affects me. Like I said, depending on your interpretation of the word "affect". Effectively, are you saying that the killer cannot and will not step out of the boundaries of La Piedra, and into the other parts of Sosua, such as El Batey, if he was so inclined? From Puerto Plata, into Cofresi??? Nonsense. I'd say that affects people close to the areas mentioned. If you're saying that it doesn't affect your travel to the area, good for you! Doesn't affect me in that way, either. What I really don't understand is why you continue this diatribe, in the same breath accusing someone else of trying to stir the pot...I see that as your only motive to continue. What exactly offends you about the quote that you just won't give up on? The killer is from Santiago (not from Sosua), commiting crimes in Sosua, like many (I'm venturing to say most, as an educated guess) of the people who commit crimes in Sosua. That's about as far as I can, or care to, break it down for you.

Bad mood today, perhaps? You're picking fights all over the board lately...go have a drink and relax a bit...
Hahaha, picking fights? You have a difficult time with others expressing their opinion Trina? You want a piece of me? LOL

Crap happens Trina. As I said in my original post

"I of course think it is a horrible thing to happen but it has affected NADA in Sosua. There are probably several times the shootings in Puerto Plata and you won't hear about those either for the most part."

AND NO TRINA, I am not affected in the slightest. Neither is anyone else I know that I know of. Got it?

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
Drugs in the DR

I have been to the north coast several times but usually just once a year. I was amazed at the change last time I was there. I was approached at least a dozen times by street dealers trying to sell me cocaine. I was extremely uncomfortable walking around because they were very presistent and would follow me even after frimly telling them no. I always loved going to the DR because of the low crime rate and no drugs evident in public anyway. In contrast to the States which is considered a drug haven I have never ever been approached to buy drugs on the streets, granted I do live in a smaller southern city and not a large metro area. I honestly think that with drugs flowing freely in the DR and a near total lack of police protection the tourism on the north coast is going to dissapear over the next few years except for criminals and druggies. This is just my opinion only of course but I for one will not be coming back anytime soon. Once the drug trade is established it will be almost impossible to clean up. I will note that I was not approached in Cabarete but I am sure it's just a matter of time. There is obviously a big increase in crime all over the island and it is a direct result of the drug trade.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
tngold said:
I have been to the north coast several times but usually just once a year. I was amazed at the change last time I was there. I was approached at least a dozen times by street dealers trying to sell me cocaine. I was extremely uncomfortable walking around because they were very presistent and would follow me even after frimly telling them no. I always loved going to the DR because of the low crime rate and no drugs evident in public anyway. In contrast to the States which is considered a drug haven I have never ever been approached to buy drugs on the streets, granted I do live in a smaller southern city and not a large metro area. I honestly think that with drugs flowing freely in the DR and a near total lack of police protection the tourism on the north coast is going to dissapear over the next few years except for criminals and druggies. This is just my opinion only of course but I for one will not be coming back anytime soon. Once the drug trade is established it will be almost impossible to clean up. I will note that I was not approached in Cabarete but I am sure it's just a matter of time. There is obviously a big increase in crime all over the island and it is a direct result of the drug trade.

Keep on having that attitude and staying away, because that "dealer" could very well be a police officer in disguise. That absolute last thing you want to do in the DR is have any involvement with drugs.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
trina said:
Keep on having that attitude and staying away, because that "dealer" could very well be a police officer in disguise. That absolute last thing you want to do in the DR is have any involvement with drugs.

I agree with Trina. There is the "secret service" serving within the military ranks (not so much the PN). They pose as drug dealers and working girls as well as girls working in bars. They ARE NOT what you think they are. If you do or deal drugs don't get busted in the Dominican Republic, especially if you are a tourist/ex pat. Perhaps a chat with someone that was in a Dominican prison would convince you that this is not a wise idea. Remember that movie "Midnight Express" about a drug dealer that got caught in Turkey? If not go rent it and it will give you a good idea of the draconian criminal justice system that is still alive and well.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tngold said:
I honestly think that with drugs flowing freely in the DR and a near total lack of police protection the tourism on the north coast is going to dissapear over the next few years except for criminals and druggies. This is just my opinion only of course but I for one will not be coming back anytime soon. Once the drug trade is established it will be almost impossible to clean up. I will note that I was not approached in Cabarete but I am sure it's just a matter of time. There is obviously a big increase in crime all over the island and it is a direct result of the drug trade.

tngold, I must be going to different places than you or look more respectable, but I've been living on the North Coast for 18+ years and have never been approached by a drug seller.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ken said:
tngold, I must be going to different places than you or look more respectable, but I've been living on the North Coast for 18+ years and have never been approached by a drug seller.

Ken, they never bother us old people. :laugh:

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
Ken said:

Ken, first of all although I have never seen you I doubt very seriously that you look anymore respectable then me. Actually I am very cleancut and professional looking and would definitely consider myself to be respectable looking. I am glad to know you have never been approached by anyone selling drugs there but that doesn't change the fact that I was on numerous occasions and by reading other's who have posted on here it seems like it is a problem that is getting worse. Why would I make it up? The reply you posted was similar to what I have seen over and over on this board and that's if your not a regular poster on here and you say something the least bit controversial you will pounced on .[Edited by Tim H.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
1st sign of Trouble

Keep the inflammatory stuff to nil, and we will be cool.

Expressing opinions with open dialog is groovy.

As soon as it gets into, personal flaming arrows, you will be deleted, and hit with the warning, button.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular yet, it is just the boilerplate, before somebody starts going postal, personally.

Thanks
Tim H.
:smoke: