Benefits of living in 3rd world country.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
AZB said:
Funny you mention that. I was in a disco in NY and walked out with my bottle in my hand to the parking lot to get somehting out of my car and guess what? I got a ticket for drinking in public place. That was 20 yrs ago so just imagine how things have changed since.
My friend was driving in his car and was stopped for some traffic violation. when he braked suddenly an old empty bottle of beer rolled out from under his seat. He got a ticket for open alcoholic beverage in the car. hahahahaha.
my cousin got a ticket from sanitation truck becuase he was checking oil in his car and the napkin to clean the oil stick fell down during checking process. he got a ticket for littering on an already dirty NYC street.
yeah, some freedom we have in USA. try saying hello to a girl in NYC and see what type of reaction you get. Just try talking to a girl in a disco in NYC. See what type of welcome you get. How many times have you been inside your neighbor's house where you live? Do you really know them at all? When I moved to my house in santiago, I had food coming in from 3 houses for 3 days. they didn't even know me. I had to throw out food because they had sent me so much.
USA has its own benefits for living there but don't think that we are suffering here. If you are poor, you will suffer anywhere.
AZB

usa is good to earn green paper and to take advantages of many opportunities offered (education) but other than you get lots of stress and many headaches.... yes you get pay a lot but you spend a lot on.... pretty much everything,, from rent to car insurance to paying tickets (i have paid many tickets).

katty

Mar 14, 2003
I am 6 months in DR and 6 mos in US, I perfer DR and I am not a sankie lover.
I am looking to buy Real property there as I have had enuff of US

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
I agree with sky.
I also want to add something:
Why are Americans complaining about the cost of healthcare then? You get what you pay for.
There are lawsuits in the Dominican as in everywhere else.......Personally I do not fall into the hands of Western medicine doctors. I opt for Alternative medicine. It's cheaper and more practical.
Americans complain about everything. My insurence is paid for by the government, which I contributed to in social security taxes.
No complaints from me, they pay for everything. Socialized medicine in Canada is basically paid for the same way, they contribute all their lives.
Nothing is for free, and you're right, you get what you pay for.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
dropitlikeithot said:
i agree with AZB on americans working entire yr and just taking 1 wk vacations and living a stressful life, with a wife who might only care about
her career advancement. I wish some day i can retire too,,, DR is on top 2 places to retire.

health/insurance concerns might be for people living in dr campos where it might take 1-2 hrs to get to a reputable hospital/clinic.
Ahem... Not all Americans are like that. When I lived in the US I traveled every month all winter to a warm climate such as the caribbean, Mexico and even Florida. During the summer we vacationed on our boat either Fire Island, Sag Harbor, Block Island, Jersey Shore etc, etc, etc.

AZB is the king of generalizations that just are NOT true. Although I split up with my wife about 6 years ago she was nothing like the American women he described.

I don't see much of what my buddy posts that are REALLY factual either about the DR or about the US. He assumes that just because American women treated him poorly they treat every man poorly which just isn't true.
I can go on and on but what is the point. He speaks of his own circumstances and assumes everyone else's are the same as his which of course they are NOT thank the heavens.

Escott

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To be pragmatic...

AZB and Criss Colon have made very astute observations of life in the US. The DR is certainly a place where you have more liberty to make your own rules to a degree. If you are relatively responsible and are not out to hurt anyone, the DR can very much work in your favor.
But if you must have all the modern conveniances available to you and a 7-11 five minutes away from your house, the DR is not for you.

Yes, they have problems on the island. Yet for many men the social freedom one encounters in the DR makes all the difficulties worth it. And being close to the beach does'nt hurt, either. I live in NYC and there is no way I would go to one of my local beaches. They are unclean and are filled with the worst ghetto trash you can imagine. Go to a beach in the DR on a Sunday and what do you see? Family oriented gatherings with people who are just out to have a great time.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Berzin said:
AZB and Criss Colon have made very astute observations of life in the US. The DR is certainly a place where you have more liberty to make your own rules to a degree. If you are relatively responsible and are not out to hurt anyone, the DR can very much work in your favor.
But if you must have all the modern conveniances available to you and a 7-11 five minutes away from your house, the DR is not for you.

Yes, they have problems on the island. Yet for many men the social freedom one encounters in the DR makes all the difficulties worth it. And being close to the beach does'nt hurt, either. I live in NYC and there is no way I would go to one of my local beaches. They are unclean and are filled with the worst ghetto trash you can imagine. Go to a beach in the DR on a Sunday and what do you see? Family oriented gatherings with people who are just out to have a great time.

7-11 won't deliver an ice cold beer for a dollar. Or one egg. But I know what you meant. :)

God bless the DR.

Scandall

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
Ahem... Not all Americans are like that. When I lived in the US I traveled every month all winter to a warm climate such as the caribbean, Mexico and even Florida. During the summer we vacationed on our boat either Fire Island, Sag Harbor, Block Island, Jersey Shore etc, etc, etc.

AZB is the king of generalizations that just are NOT true. Although I split up with my wife about 6 years ago she was nothing like the American women he described.

I don't see much of what my buddy posts that are REALLY factual either about the DR or about the US. He assumes that just because American women treated him poorly they treat every man poorly which just isn't true.
I can go on and on but what is the point. He speaks of his own circumstances and assumes everyone else's are the same as his which of course they are NOT thank the heavens.

Escott
tell me one thing buddy, who are you trying to fool, us or yourself? hahahahaha.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AZB said:
tell me one thing buddy, who are you trying to fool, us or yourself? hahahahaha.
I never tried to fool anyone AZB. I never gave a big enough crap about other people so it was never important to even ponder what went through their minds and certainly didn't ever try to fool myself because there is no sense to that. So back to the subject at hand.

All Americans do NOT live like that AND not all American guys can't get laid in the US as you evidently weren't able to. I needed the same baseball bat to keep the girls AWAY in the US as I need here.

You take what is your problems and project it on others which isn't necessarily true.

Larry left you the charger he borrowed from me, right?

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
I needed the same baseball bat to keep the girls AWAY in the US as I need here.

Hehehe... that's one hell of a baseball bat as I have never seen you in any type of relationship with a Dominican girl here.

Moving on and going back to the original post (OP)...

We all have our reasons for living here and all lead varied lifestyles of our choosing. I personally find living in the DR cheaper than some of the other first world countries I have lived in, including the USA (2+ years).

The DR offers me a great stress free lifestyle I could not afford or attain in some of the other countries I have lived and worked in, yes I have tried.
I have made US$100,000+ per year in the past, which is nice, except for the stress, lifestyle, taxes and BS that comes along with it.

The combination of it's beauty, the people (#1 asset), working environment, chaos and cost of living are the reasons I call the DR, home.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Robert said:
Hehehe... that's one hell of a baseball bat as I have never seen you in any type of relationship with a Dominican girl here.

We all have our reasons for living here and all lead varied lifestyles of our choosing. I personally find living in the DR cheaper than some of the other first world countries I have lived in, including the USA (2+ years).

The DR offers me a great stress free lifestyle I could not afford or attain in some of the other countries I have lived and worked in, yes I have tried.
I have made US$100,000+ per year in the past, which is nice, except for the stress, lifestyle, taxes and BS that comes along with it.

The combination of it's beauty, the people (#1 asset), working environment, chaos and cost of living are the reasons I call the DR, home.

Let us not forget the many indigenous animals. My favorite is the "long haired split tail Dominicana". They are always in season.

Scandall

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:

Robert hit it right on the nail.
I have made good money in USA and I can make 5 times more that if I go back to work as a chiropractor. I was offered 85 thousand dollars plus starting salary to work as a chiropractor in NYC about 4 yrs back. I know NYC and I have lived there for 16 yrs. No thanks. I am not about to spend 3 hrs / day in commute and live and work like a slave.
Escott thinks I am generalizing my views on USA, yes I am and yes, I am also right. Not everyone lived like scott in USA. maybe he lived too upstate to know what was really going on in the real american world.
The truth: american guys are not getting laid in USA as much as they would like to be. Many guys don't even go out on a date in 6 months. Many good looking guys haven't had sex in 1 yr.
I always had fun where ever I lived. I had my hands full in USA and I have my hands full in DR. You folks really think a guy like CC and other tigres can't pick up women anywhere else on this earth besides DR? Guys like us can pick up women anywhere. Only in DR we get nicer and younger, sweeter and prettier girls than in USA.
Fact: majority of young american women are mega-bitches. For that reason alone there is very little communication among sexes. Now we have all mentioned this a million times and I see no reason to repeat this all over again. We all know the truth so why beat around the bush? Scott lives in the la la land, so thats his business. I have lived most of my life in various cities of USA so I also know what I am talking about. Now scott, please don't even talk about pushing women away with a bat. I know what types of women you are talking about. If I were you, I would shoot them.
Anyway, the life in DR is stress free and easy. If you play your game right, you will not have any problems here.
AZB

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
ggn420 said:
I don't drink, so I don't have that problem........and the diseases that the other countries(ieDR) don't know about, is because there is NO awareness of education of these diseases. Posted on an earlier date about Hepatitus C...not ONE person knew anything about it, all assumed information was wrong. Fact is, it is a epedemic 8 million(that they know of) in the US alone, and growing, world wide. This will make HIV look like a head cold once it populates the area. So many people have it, and are not aware, will pass it on to others, no routine blood work done there looking for this virus, because the people there don't even know it exsists! Sit on your back porch, and drink Presidentes all day, and keep fueling the fire. This is just ONE issue, not to mention all the others. Good luck...

I think the diseases that AZB was astutely referring to were things like depression, adhd, adult adhd etc. Things that are "caused" by the American lifestyle. Work, work, work just to pay the bills and eake out a modest existence. Going into hawk for a t.v. Working long hours to afford the bigger t.v. and the list goes on. I have a hard time believing that most 1st worl citizens find that life fulfilling.
Am I off base here AZB?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
AZB...we concur. Consider yourself fortunate if you have the ability to leave the USA mainstream lifestyle. And you can leave it and still live in the USA. Not everyone has the fortitude necessary to break free from that brainwashed state of existence.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
stewart said:
I think the diseases that AZB was astutely referring to were things like depression, adhd, adult adhd etc. Things that are "caused" by the American lifestyle. Work, work, work just to pay the bills and eake out a modest existence. Going into hawk for a t.v. Working long hours to afford the bigger t.v. and the list goes on. I have a hard time believing that most 1st worl citizens find that life fulfilling.
Am I off base here AZB?

The Jones's moved out of my neighborhood years ago :)

Most people work to stay in debt and most are just one pay cheque away from disaster.

Hale the almighty worker drone.... No thank you!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
stewart said:
I think the diseases that AZB was astutely referring to were things like depression, adhd, adult adhd etc. Things that are "caused" by the American lifestyle.,,
I don't believe that adult ADHD is caused by an American lifestyle. As a casual observation I think ADD (not necessarily ADHD) is far more prevalent in the DR than the US. One doesn't get adult ADHD without first having it as a child. It doesn't come from stress; it's something you are born with.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
rellosk said:
I don't believe that adult ADHD is caused by an American lifestyle. As a casual observation I think ADD (not necessarily ADHD) is far more prevalent in the DR than the US. One doesn't get adult ADHD without first having it as a child. It doesn't come from stress; it's something you are born with.

I tend to think it comes more from large Pharmaceutical companies that invent sicknesses so they can conveniently provide a cure. Come on. I have sat in lots of meetings where I would rather be anywhere else. I catch myself day dreaming and looking out the window. Does that mean I have ADHD?
No! But if I beleive the commercials, the reason I feel less than satisfied as a middle class, suburban American can be solved with a prescription. Instead of a re-examination of my life and priorities. Such an examination often leads people to realize that they can live more simply and be just as happy or more so. If you read AZB's post, this is what I am getting out of it.
A more simple existence with less money. But at the same time, less stress, more social interaction, more spare time for activities, less debt, a slower pace of life etc. The list continues to grow.
Of course, this is my interpretation based on my world view and experience.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I Was 12 Years Old,My Father Moved Our Family To Venezuela

Valencia Venezuela to be exact.Quite a change from a town of 16,000 in the middle of Illinois!
I loved it."Warm" all year around.We went to the beach almost every weekend.We took a Christmas Vacation to Curacao and I liked that even more.We took an "Island Cruise" with a couple from Illinois,who had gone to Curacao on vacation,went back to Illinois,sold everythinmg,moved to Curacao,bought the boat,started the tour business,and the rest is history!I knew on that vacation that I would someday retire to an "Island Paradise"!
Fast forqward about 35 years,and I am working in Boston,25 years at the same hospital.I keep "Thinking" about that "Island Paradise" but there is always a "reason" to wait a few more years,save a little more money,wait for my son to graduate gradeschool,highschool,start college."SOMETHING"!Ten years ago I married a beautiful,young "Dominicana".Nine and a half years ago I had the chance to leave my job in Boston.And nine years ago I started working at a hospital here.
POINT???? I waited too long!! I probably should have stayed in Thailand 35 years ago,or St Thomas 33 years ago,and never gotten into the "Rat Race"!
Problem is,everything in life is a tradeoff! It is hard to be a "Freespirit" and raise a family (or two!)at the sametime.Now with 4 children in the family I am torn as to where to raise them?????? I love the huge extended family here in the DR,with grandparents living with us and lots of cousins stopping by,and our kids going to Moca for a week.I am looking at staying here,yet sending the kids to study in the US for a year or two for each of them.When the time comes they can live where they want.Or move back and forth between the two cultures as they please.
Changing the subject:To those of you who want to compare "Medical Care" in the DR. with "Medical Care" in the USA,Go right ahead! It is like comparing the Dominican Navy with the United States Navy.They(USA/DR) have a "NAVY",just which one do you want protecting you??
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice Story Cris! But I think one has to experience the rat race and make an informed decision to 'drop out' before one can be totally comfortable outside of the mainstream...

Send the kids to the US for a year or two, or for high school. Let them learn the other culture by experience. Heck put them in a boarding school for a few years... there are excellent small schools if you look around, where they'll mix with all kinds and all flavors. (It's only money!) Let them experience 'pledging allegiance...' ;) (My kids refused to do this in public school in the US... but then public school did not last long for either of them).

My kids went to school in two countries and the oldest one now is very appreciative of the experiences. The younger one is getting there, figuring out that she has experienced stuff that most others never ever even think of experiencing. The US did not work out for any of us on the long term, but the 12 years that I spent there was an excellent experience. I did learn what I did not want in my life though!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Chris said:
Nice Story Cris! But I think one has to experience the rat race and make an informed decision to 'drop out' before one can be totally comfortable outside of the mainstream...

Send the kids to the US for a year or two, or for high school. Let them learn the other culture by experience. Heck put them in a boarding school for a few years... there are excellent small schools if you look around, where they'll mix with all kinds and all flavors. (It's only money!) Let them experience 'pledging allegiance...' ;) (My kids refused to do this in public school in the US... but then public school did not last long for either of them).

My kids went to school in two countries and the oldest one now is very appreciative of the experiences. The younger one is getting there, figuring out that she has experienced stuff that most others never ever even think of experiencing. The US did not work out for any of us on the long term, but the 12 years that I spent there was an excellent experience. I did learn what I did not want in my life though!

That's interesting. Where are you all now?
My wife is Dominican and we have 3 kids in the US. I really want them to spend a long period of time in the DR. I often think about relocating there. The one big drw back is my assumption that they will want to be in the US with their familieis. I would never want to be too far away from them. Which is why I find your post interesting.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
It's offensive

AZB said:
Now who was the genious that insists that we should educate the poor dominicans and bring their educational standards up to developed countries level? Are you nuts? You want to pay 25 dollars to change your watch battery or pay 100 dollars to have your car seat repaired?
I love DR just the way it is.
AZB

It is simply offensive anywhere, AZB. I want to believe that you didn't write what you thought on this paragraph. I understand from what you wrote that you prefer that poor dominicans don't have good education, health care and a decent income for what they do, as long as you can continue enjoying all the benefits that this situation gives you.

For one minute picture yourself growing as a child on a dominican barrio, dreaming on doing and having a lot of things but without the right tools to get it (education) and with the wrong stimulus (the drug dealers and the gangs doing what they want and getting the barrio's power and respect). And please don't answer with the tale of the succesful man who was a poor child. That's the exception. Maybe without the education and life you had you would be the guy that fixed your car's seat. Luckily you are not him. Maybe him would be a lot better than you if he had had your education. Who knows. Think on it and thank God for what you have without forgetting the others.

Enjoy the country but please don't say that again. I will believe that you didn't mean what you wrote on your last paragraph.