Best Business in the DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
OP, many companies that rely entirely or mostly on Dominican customers have a decent to great revenue flow.

For example, El Encanto which is a department store chain with all its stores in Santiago brings in around US$40 million a year. Sure, that's not enough from which it would make anyone one of the richest people on the planet, but US$40 million is US$40 million. Caribe Tours around US$23 million. Ikea has a revenue of about US$13 million per year and technically that's a new business. Ilumel is shy of US$3 million. El Catador which is a wine store with all its stores in Santo Domingo is around US$9 million. Helados Bon over US$6 million. The movie theater at Galería 360 about US$1.3 million. Jardín Constanza (mostly flowers) about US$10 million. RH Mejía (owned by Hipolito's son and deals with the importation from the USA, distribution and even direct customer sales of several fruits such as apples; until his incursion into the sector apples was a luxury in the DR where most peple would eat one only in the Christmas season and it was a fruit mostly purchased by the rich since it was expensive) a little over US$3 million. Baldom (mostly condiments, their products are in just about every supermarket in the country) around US$50 million. La Fabril (mostly vegetables cooking oils, one of their products is La Joya) about US$37 million. So on and so forth.

On the other hand are larger companies that depend mostly or entirely on Dominican costumers. For example, Grupo Ramos (parent company of La Sirena, Aprezio, Super Pola, Sirena Market, etc) has revenues of around US$760 million. Centro Cuesta Nacional (parent company of Supermercado Nacional, Jumbo, Casa Cuesta, Librería Cuesta, etc) is around US$580 million. SID (Next gas stations and many eatable products like La Manicera, they also own the African palm plantations seen on the highway to Samaná harvested for the oil in its nuts) has revenue of over US$1 billion and yes, it starts with a b. Cervecería Nacional Dominicana (Presidente, Malta Morena, etc) is above the US$380 million range. Banco Popular has revenues of around UD$737 million. Etc...
You didn't even mention the Corripios, the Vicinis, Cesar Englesia, Molinos Modernos, etc.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Best advice ever!!! Secure the country wide distribution rights for ANY PRODUCT. Be the manufacturer's representative. No out of pocket expense. Commission based plus salary if possible. No losses and only gains. Putting any money into a 3rd world country is gambling. There are too many variables to accurately assess and quantify where and when your losses will be.

Factor in the intangibles and you have the perfect storm for disaster. The DR is highly disorganized, highly inefficient and corrupt to the extreme. Why operate in such a toxic environment? Add to the equation, crime. The theft, the robberies, the shakedowns makes for a nerve wracking experience. And all of this to earn fractions on investments that require wholes.

What a party pooper...

This is true even in highly developed economies. Take London’s empirical financial juggernaut for instance. For every ten successful financial schemes, there are no less than one thousand failed ones. Many scams and ponzi schemes.

What limits your earnings in the DR is the market you tap and target. If you target the local market, you’d already limited yourself to a 10 mil potential. If you target the export market you have few limitations. If you target both, you would cement your biz and have no limitations on growth potential.

Take Bon as an example. They are a conformist type of biz. Their potential lies externally. A vast untapped market, only halted by greed within its own ranks.

Look at NEDOCA, once a market leader nationally turned a substituted appliance brand with low quality wares from abroad.

Yet, look at Cristal! A once diminished national retailer, turned exports oriented and still expanding.

The local market is for a biz that you’ll make use of to live a very comfortable life with. That’s the truth for 80% of biz here.

The other 10% is for exports and the extra 10% is for the large scale biz, with national coverage, therefore national sized income.

You returns are dependent on your investments.
Invest little, see little returns.

One way to mitigate and manage risks, is to spread your investments in the DR.
A jack of trades, king of none.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I made really good money with a unregistered taxi van. I still maintain you can can pull down some decent change doing that as long as you stay away from airports.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas
Jan 3, 2003
I did partnerships in all of the ones so far. Some people in my circles are better connected to some areas of interest than me alone.

The recycling biz has been above projections. We are only pausing due to the time it takes to have the equipment manufactured and shipped to the DR. It's not so easy to expand on demand with it. More like expanding when your capacity is tolled beyond catching up. Also we needed to secure some transfer of technology rights in order to fit our needs. Easier said than done...

The thing is others might have more experience and knowledge than you in some fields, worth investing on. So sharing the cost of investment and funds to keep the biz going until it clicks on all 8 cylinders, is easier than going at it alone. Less risk as well.

The returns are proportional to the initial and projected investments made. Invest little, see little returns.

For the DR market, the need to be "Compact" can't be reiterated any lesser. This ain't Kansas!

Three keys to keep your brain on: Energy/utilities, logistics, supplies...

Logistics can break havoc in your biz here in the DR with relative constancy. You have to make your logistics from the ground up! What works say for SD, will not necessarily work for the south or the north of the DR...

Transportation is an ever changing Tango. It can literally bring your biz to a halt.

Energy/utilities are something you must consider with big numbers long term. Backup is the regular services, so to speak. Your matrix needs to be considerably cheaper than the supply and redundant.

We learned to hedge natural gas contracts for the long run here.

There are many instances where you can make money by investing in the DR. After all, it's barely getting into medium manufacturing as of the date, by volume of industrial output.
You proved my point so don't backpedal on this one. Only with your "special contacts" and mysterious "partnerships" can anyone make any money in that country. By your own words, you have made business success in the DR a mystical experience. Logistically speaking, the DR is a complete disaster. The chain of products from first producer to end user requires Houdini to make it work.

Foreigners, spare yourself unnecessary anguish and torment. DO NOT invest in this or any 3rd world non-English speaking country. You're out of your waters in a sea of sharks. How many more must fail and lose everything before Pichardo's post gets through your thick skulls?? He has his arcane knowledge of alleged business survival techniques within the DR of which he claims he has profited nicely from.

If his claims are valid they are sure as hell not reliable. There is NO WAY you could replicate his alleged results (no evidence at all) even if he sat next to you and offered a cookie cutter plan towards financial independence in the DR.

Those who are successful in the DR began in the DR with pesos. For the rest of you pikers, the moment you exchange a hard currency for a worthless one (the DR peso) you have already begun the descent towards financial catastrophe. The decline in the peso over time will outstrip any gains you will more than likely never see.

As for the large MNC who set-up shop in the DR, let them to their game. They hedge losses in ways that are not accessible to the hoi polloi. So, please just save yourselves and us the anguish and despair which will most certainly accompany the pikers who think they have a sure bet when it comes to gambling, oops investing, in the DR!!!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
How do you explain my successful business then? I didn't have any special contacts or mysterious partnerships.

I'm in the Logistics business, BTW.

Jan 3, 2003
How do you explain my successful business then? I didn't have any special contacts or mysterious partnerships.

I'm in the Logistics business, BTW.
For every success, I'll bring you a 100 dead bodies, economically speaking. Every single Dominican and Foreign Piker and Peddler who saved up dollars in the US and Europe to exchange them for worthless pesos to build their villa or shopping center or purchase an apt. has immediately seen a loss just from the exchange.

Add to that the expenses of maintenance and materials which are always dollarized, you can not win in that game in the long run. The peso just declines at a rate by which losses will always outstrip gains. I've spoken to hundreds of New York Dominicans who once I sat down with them and explained the math have realized the folly of their decisions. Others have come to that conclusion the hard way. They invested and come appraisal time they saw their losses. A sale becomes a fire sale unbeknownst to them!!

Logistically speaking, there are few who can survive in such an unruly and Wild West environment as the DR. Your success will be mirrored in the sampling of companies that more or less dominate the DR market. I am not speaking on that. I am referencing most US based Pikers and Peddlers who have saved up a couple hundred of thousands to fully invest in the DR only to become materially poorer.

I am speaking about the low income and middle income wage earners who through blood, sweat and tears have saved their money only to throw it away in the DR. Once again, the loss immediately begins once you trade in a hard currency for a worthless one and expect to come up ahead. Some will come ahead but so few as to not be of merit when heralding the virtues of DR investing.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
What a party pooper...

This is true even in highly developed economies. Take London’s empirical financial juggernaut for instance. For every ten successful financial schemes, there are no less than one thousand failed ones. Many scams and ponzi schemes.

What limits your earnings in the DR is the market you tap and target. If you target the local market, you’d already limited yourself to a 10 mil potential. If you target the export market you have few limitations. If you target both, you would cement your biz and have no limitations on growth potential.

Take Bon as an example. They are a conformist type of biz. Their potential lies externally. A vast untapped market, only halted by greed within its own ranks.

Look at NEDOCA, once a market leader nationally turned a substituted appliance brand with low quality wares from abroad.

Yet, look at Cristal! A once diminished national retailer, turned exports oriented and still expanding.

The local market is for a biz that you’ll make use of to live a very comfortable life with. That’s the truth for 80% of biz here.

The other 10% is for exports and the extra 10% is for the large scale biz, with national coverage, therefore national sized income.

You returns are dependent on your investments.
Invest little, see little returns.

One way to mitigate and manage risks, is to spread your investments in the DR.
A jack of trades, king of none.

In my profession "small Business Development" defined simply as businesses with net profits less than $500,000.cdn per year.
There were many variables that made or broke a business.
There is the Cultural demagraphics . Location, Management capability and experience, defined market including Target population description, once all of that was determined positive then comes the money.
Money is the least of the equation if the Management and Market are securely in place.
I have had several North American well heeled investors lookin to buy or create businesses in RD. But ,so far, they have no idea about culture nor the domestic market. So i decline to assist.
My experience is mostly in depressed areas and Micro economic zones... there are many opportunities here in RD to start businesses.... you just have to do your homework and be cautious whom you partner with.
My company is a silent partner with two Dominican businesses whom are about to expand into bigger portfolios which meet all necessary criteria.
Anyway, the RD is no different than any other developing or for that matter first world countries where up to 95% of small businesses fail within the first five years.
Well you all have a good day.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Anyway, the RD is no different than any other developing or for that matter first world countries where up to 95% of small businesses fail within the first five years.
Those are tough odds.
Even for a betting man like me.
Let you know how it went if I make through my first five...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have had several North American well heeled investors lookin to buy or create businesses in RD. But ,so far, they have no idea about culture nor the domestic market. So i decline to assist.
What industry(s) are/ were they considering?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
One is simply a spectator with more money than brains.. i worked for him before and above all he is a racist opportunist.
The other already has significant land holdings in RD and wants to exploit it then sell out. In other words he wants to sell off as soon as he can recoup his investment.
Neither one is that reliable nor honest in my opinion.
I am far too old to be prissing around with their likes.
Good news is I do have a good client now purchasing significant waterfront property fir new commercial opportuniyies. I cannot disclose the location as that would jeapordise the potential deal.
This guy is Spanish speaking and has been working in Latin America for decades.
He fits the mold.
But my fat arse has not danced so no deal yet.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
One is simply a spectator with more money than brains.. i worked for him before and above all he is a racist opportunist.
The other already has significant land holdings in RD and wants to exploit it then sell out. In other words he wants to sell off as soon as he can recoup his investment.
Neither one is that reliable nor honest in my opinion.
I am far too old to be prissing around with their likes.
Good news is I do have a good client now purchasing significant waterfront property fir new commercial opportuniyies. I cannot disclose the location as that would jeapordise the potential deal.
This guy is Spanish speaking and has been working in Latin America for decades.
He fits the mold.
But my fat arse has not danced so no deal yet.
I said spectator because he gets people to do all the work and he just sits back and counts his money. While a speculator acti would clear that up.ually gets involved. Just thought

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The best business in the DR is now and will be in the near future.. The Politico business....no special school...no training required.....and is only limited by your greed........

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The best business in the DR is now and will be in the near future.. The Politico business....no special school...no training required.....and is only limited by your greed........

Entran en chacletas salen en jeepetas....

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
........as in every nation.
RD did not invent the game.
Businessmen are much richer than those in politics in my home country.
Yes, people increase their wealth while in office.
But the ones who are truly rich made their money before taking the oath of office.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
You are either rich or have morals.
Only those born into wealth had no say on either option.
There’s a remarkable difference between a rich person and a wealthy one.
You can become rich, but you’re only born into wealth.

A rich person can just easily be bankrupt.
A wealthy person will never know poverty.

Politics are now moving into the realm of the wealthy. Only because some of them have morals and see their inaction as irresponsible to the future of their children.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The idea that morals can be tied to being rich or wealthy is:
ludicrous
1 : amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity.
2 : meriting derisive laughter or scorn as absurdly inept, false, or foolish.

The markets (the process that makes one rich or wealthy in a capitalistic economy) do not reward morality.
Only performance.
And money does not judge the person who is making it.
Money cannot decide that you are not worthy and therefore it will not come to you or work for you.
It is that exact beauty of the markets that draws me to them.
If I buy stock X and it triples...
No one can decide that when I sell it I cannot reap the profits of my gain (except my government partner in the form of taxes I have to pay)

That said the best business in the 🇩🇴 is the one that gives you the return on investment that you seek.
Morality has NOTHING to do with it‼️

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The idea that morals can be tied to being rich or wealthy is:
ludicrous
1 : amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity.
2 : meriting derisive laughter or scorn as absurdly inept, false, or foolish.

The markets (the process that makes one rich or wealthy in a capitalistic economy) do not reward morality.
Only performance.
And money does not judge the person who is making it.
Money cannot decide that you are not worthy and therefore it will not come to you or work for you.
It is that exact beauty of the markets that draws me to them.
If I buy stock X and it triples...
No one can decide that when I sell it I cannot reap the profits of my gain (except my government partner in the form of taxes I have to pay)

That said the best business in the 🇩🇴 is the one that gives you the return on investment that you seek.
Morality has NOTHING to do with it‼️

You can’t be Pious and rich at the same time!
Rich people lack a moral compass.
Wealthy people tend to practice philanthropy above average people.
Highly intellectual 🧐 people, like those geniuses a dime a dozen, lack even basic morals. They see everything black or white.
They tend to focus on an intellect based answer above morality.

Morality is everything if you want to be humane.
The more money, the faker and empty the people you’ll find.

The day you want to learn how miserable your present life is, pack everything you can’t possible live without in two pieces of luggage.
🧳
Step out of your home, put them in your car’s trunk and only then, walk back into the house and you’ll notice how sh i tt y your life is.

In order to maintain that s****y life and all those things, you constantly need to produce money at any cost. You don’t make decisions based on morality but profit. Each turn is a negotiation that must provides you benefit over anything else.

When you retake your morality, that’s when you start living the real life again.

Morality is present at each step of life. When you were a kid and had the chance to flip a girl’s skirt you fancied, but didn’t because you understood the shame she would had felt.

Morality is present when your business makes a ton of profit for you, yet you still don’t share that blessing with the employees that made that possible, other than their usual wages.