Best Business in the DR

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The best business in the DR is not to open a business at all. A 95% failure rate is probably optimistic.

Come here if you like the area to retire with enough of your own cash to do so.
Right you are...I had a job when I first came here. but the conditions here are very different than back home and the pay was much worse... so the job was discarded, as I really didnt need it.......

Reactions: windeguy

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Right you are...I had a job when I first came here. but the conditions here are very different than back home and the pay was much worse... so the job was discarded, as I really didnt need it.......
Working as an employee is the last thing you should want. Rewards are in no relation to what you are used to in the US and Europe.

What has already been said in this topic; bring your own money and enjoy.

Personally I like to do something; but where I myself determine 'how and when'.
If you also own your own house / apt, have a car, you can live a fairly carefree life.
(For now I commute back and forth 3 to 4 times a year ;))

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Working as an employee is the last thing you should want. Rewards are in no relation to what you are used to in the US and Europe.

What has already been said in this topic; bring your own money and enjoy.

Personally I like to do something; but where I myself determine 'how and when'.
If you also own your own house / apt, have a car, you can live a fairly carefree life.
(For now I commute back and forth 3 to 4 times a year ;))
I was not a employee , a partner ... didnt come here to work, thought a job would fill my time...yes I have the things you mentioned to have a carefree life...been back to the USA 1 time in 5 years... just dont have enough time for all I do here... but then what is the one thing everybody never has enought of...time of course.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The best business is not to be in business!
You can build a hotel and sign a contract with a company to run it under their brand.
Your income is set for the contract length.

Import distributor authorized agent.
You need only contracts and they do the whole work, from your export point to the importer on contract.

Data broker.
You buy data from sources in the DR, compile and sort. Create a database and sell the mined data to agents direct real time by contract online.

Plenty others!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The best business is not to be in business!
You can build a hotel and sign a contract with a company to run it under their brand.
Your income is set for the contract length.

Import distributor authorized agent.
You need only contracts and they do the whole work, from your export point to the importer on contract.

Data broker.
You buy data from sources in the DR, compile and sort. Create a database and sell the mined data to agents direct real time by contract online.

Plenty others!
Right about not being in business... the middleman approach is best.........

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I like selling options (cash covered puts and stock covered calls) on large cap, dividend champion stocks. If you've got enough to start a business in LRD you can make 10%-20%. All you need is a couple of hours a day and a halfway decent smart phone. You can do it anywhere, a taxi, colmado, living room, gym, or bedroom. It's under the radar, you look just like all the other kids playing with their phones. Of course like most of the other ideas we read about on here experience helps, but if you stick to the selected stocks, open your trades slightly out of the money with one to three months until expiration, and stay out of margin situations your money is pretty safe. The worst that happens is you end up holding 100 shares of a decent business for a few months longer than you wanted, all the while collecting dividends and premiums.

zawaja

Oct 15, 2022
Distrito Nacional
Most of this discussion is from 2020 and before. Anything change from that time? I don't want to buy another 3-4 apartments for rent. I consider to invest in natural cosmetics in RD with local partner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Inflation is what changed. I would never recommend investing in any business here.

Is cosmetics an industry already making product in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Inflation is everywhere in the world... In Poland we have about 30% real inflation... so that is not an argument.
You asked what changed , I said inflation.

The fact that starting a business here is fool hardy has not changed for many years.

What cosmetics are made , sold and are successful in the DR?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

The fact that starting a business here is fool hardy has not changed for many years.

There are a bunch of them but only remember four: Boé, Capilo, Lafier, Afro Love. If you go to a Sirena or Jumbo you'll see many more local brands plus the imports.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

One of my brothers-in-law and his wife are in that business, have been for decades. Wife holds several patents. Big business. Her sister (and Lebanese husband) have made literally a fortune, their business is providing the jars, bottles, caps, for that industry.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are a bunch of them but only remember four: Boé, Capilo, Lafier, Afro Love. If you go to a Sirena or Jumbo you'll see many more local brands plus the imports.
Sounds like the local market is already saturated with locally made products.