Boston baked beans

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
today i bought several cans of beans to make baked beans for NYE. got a whole bunch of people to feed.

Don't forget the hot dogs. You need to slice them up and throw them in with the beans. Meant to be eaten on a Saturday night. You're on your own for any other night - not sure what might happen.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Don't forget the hot dogs. You need to slice them up and throw them in with the beans. Meant to be eaten on a Saturday night. You're on your own for any other night - not sure what might happen.

I think you mean Bacon. lol

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
guess that's why the one i make brings all the doms to the yard. :cheeky:

so how about sharing your recipe for fudge. i have adopted two Canadian kids , in my mind, and i make them goodies all the time, like brownies. i want to make them some fudge in the new year, along with apple blondies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
so how about sharing your recipe for fudge. i have adopted two Canadian kids , in my mind, and i make them goodies all the time, like brownies. i want to make them some fudge in the new year, along with apple blondies.

Mine is the "melt in your mouth" fudge if you want it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
marshmallow fluff is not fudge. i don't do/eat fudge.

for the fluff:

1/3 glass of water
3 large egg whites at room temperature
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract

pour water into a small pot, add 2/3 cup sugar and corn syrup. place candy thermometer in the pot. bring to a boil, then boil on medium-strength burner, until the temperature reaches 118 C. it will take about 6 - 10 minutes. do not stir.

when the thermometer reaches around 110-112 C, pour the egg whites into a bowl of a standing mixer and start whipping to stiff peaks. still whipping, add sugar, one spoon at a time.

when the sugar syrup reaches 118 C immediately remove the pot from the burner. very slowly pour hot syrup into the whipped eggs, beating at the highest speed. continue for about 6 minutes, until the fluff has cooled down and reached very thick consistency. at the end of whipping, add vanilla extract.

voila, easy peasy. it should look like that:

qsteli.jpg

thee hardest part is putting it into the boxes. it's stiff and sticky as heck. but so delish.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
marshmallow fluff is not fudge. i don't do/eat fudge.

for the fluff:

1/3 glass of water
3 large egg whites at room temperature
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract

pour water into a small pot, add 2/3 cup sugar and corn syrup. place candy thermometer in the pot. bring to a boil, then boil on medium-strength burner, until the temperature reaches 118 C. it will take about 6 - 10 minutes. do not stir.

when the thermometer reaches around 110-112 C, pour the egg whites into a bowl of a standing mixer and start whipping to stiff peaks. still whipping, add sugar, one spoon at a time.

when the sugar syrup reaches 118 C immediately remove the pot from the burner. very slowly pour hot syrup into the whipped eggs, beating at the highest speed. continue for about 6 minutes, until the fluff has cooled down and reached very thick consistency. at the end of whipping, add vanilla extract.

voila, easy peasy. it should look like that:

qsteli.jpg

thee hardest part is putting it into the boxes. it's stiff and sticky as heck. but so delish.

holy jeez. it's like making pasteles..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so i made the baked beans using 4 types of canned beans (out of laziness), molasses, sugar, liquid smoke, chicharron (for the lack of bacon), onion and about a cup of booze. delicious. didn't even take much time, aside from frying chicharron and onion the rest of the work was done in the oven which was on all day anyways.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Beans Beans the magical fruit
The more ya eat the more ya toot
The more ya toot
The better ya feel
So let's eat beans at every meal[emoji39]