British Lady Robbed in POP

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
1. No, what makes you think that?
2. BTW, the above news is not so bad. Mind you, they killed the bad guy... (well, I hope it was the real culprit).

Irrelevant, this is a forum about the DR... ;)

donP

I do not think it is irrelevant, as this forum is read by a lot of potential tourists, and you sometimes make this area look like there are daily shoot-outs, and you are sure to get robbed.

The reality is that the States are just as dangerous, and so are a lot of European countries. The reality is also that there a lot more dangerous holiday-places as well.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I do not think it is irrelevant, as this forum is read by a lot of potential tourists, and you sometimes make this area look like there are daily shoot-outs, and you are sure to get robbed.

The reality is that the States are just as dangerous, and so are a lot of European countries. The reality is also that there a lot more dangerous holiday-places as well.

Saying that other countries are dangerous ........doesn't change the fact that more and more crimes happen to expats living in the D.R. At a certain point, if I live in the D.R., I don't give a damn about robberies in Europe, USA, Canada but I don't like what's happening in the D.R. if I live there or think about moving there or spend the winter months there.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Does this mean that we should not report crime or discuss it at all as it is not unique to DR. You will find most Country specific websites/forums discuss crime also, but not crime of the DR as their sites are also country specific just like DR1.
I will be the first to admit that sometimes I open up this site and then close it down within a second as the stories and posters can be so negative, in every respect. Funnily enough though rarely on the criminal issues in the news, news is topical discussion, and that is what makes a forum at the end of the day.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
.. all these bars on the windows were driving me nuts !

now I made a set of lenses with bars on them ,so I feel like Iam there lol
Manu

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Does this mean that we should not report crime or discuss it at all as it is not unique to DR. You will find most Country specific websites/forums discuss crime also, but not crime of the DR as their sites are also country specific just like DR1.
I will be the first to admit that sometimes I open up this site and then close it down within a second as the stories and posters can be so negative, in every respect. Funnily enough though rarely on the criminal issues in the news, news is topical discussion, and that is what makes a forum at the end of the day.

Sure you can report a crime. I have no problem with the topic of a British lady who was murdered as this could be interesting for some board members, but is it necessary to report every crime and burglary? Why f.e. bring up the 2 Dominicans which were murdered?

If there is a Dominican board like dr1 I am sure they will report it if a fellow countryman is murdered in NY, but I doubt they would report every murder and burglary of that day in NY. Would make one hell of a lengthy post...

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
.. all these bars on the windows were driving me nuts !

now I made a set of lenses with bars on them ,so I feel like Iam there lol
Manu

Sounds interesting Manu but can you clarify please. Would I be correct if I said I could paint a set of bars on my glasses and no matter where I went in the DR I could feel like I was quite at home?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Sure you can report a crime. I have no problem with the topic of a British lady who was murdered as this could be interesting for some board members, but is it necessary to report every crime and burglary? Why f.e. bring up the 2 Dominicans which were murdered?

If there is a Dominican board like dr1 I am sure they will report it if a fellow countryman is murdered in NY, but I doubt they would report every murder and burglary of that day in NY. Would make one hell of a lengthy post...

I get it, this is about DonP and his apparent obsession with the criminal aspects around the country. I had noticed but look at him more like the neighbourhood bobby (friendly neighbourhood crime fighter) just updating us on the things most of us don't hear about or come across. I'll wager he was in the force or a P.I. at some time.
Still, at least we know if all violent crimes on expats are going reported that in the big picture it is quite a small amount to worry about, isn't it?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Bodies are in Good Condition"

... this forum is read by a lot of potential tourists,...
I estimate, that only a very small percentage of DR tourists (some 3 million annually) read this forum.
The ones who do probably have a true interest in the country (beyond SSS) and seek true information.
Should they not be informed fully?

...you sometimes make this area look like there are daily shoot-outs...
Well, there are.

...you are sure to get robbed.
Of course not.

The reality is that the States are just as dangerous,...
False.
Even if this were so, why compare?

... and so are a lot of European countries.
Name them.
(Be prepared for relevant statistics.)

The reality is also that there a lot more dangerous holiday-places as well.
So what?

Bodies of German hikers found in Afghanistan - World news - South and Central Asia - Afghanistan - msnbc.com

donP

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Very often people go off as soon as they hear about violence involving an expat. And then, what usually happens, the rest of the story comes out. In most cases it turns out that the expat either knew the perpetrator, invited a stranger into their home, was in a questionable business deal, drugs were involved, etc, etc. Let's see what the rest of the story here is.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Sounds interesting Manu but can you clarify please. Would I be correct if I said I could paint a set of bars on my glasses and no matter where I went in the DR I could feel like I was quite at home?

NO no no

no need for DR( all barred up)

just worried in case of fire and cant find the key!
wont happen with my new glasses lol
Manu

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Very often people go off as soon as they hear about violence involving an expat. And then, what usually happens, the rest of the story comes out. In most cases it turns out that the expat either knew the perpetrator, invited a stranger into their home, was in a questionable business deal, drugs were involved, etc, etc. Let's see what the rest of the story here is.

Considering that donP arrives at unfounded conclusions when dealing with crime here in DR, I guess I could do the same and take a shot at what really happened here. I bet that this sweet lil old lady new her attacker, she invited him in the house for her weekly drug deal, when the drug deal went sour (she tried to get over on the poor drug dealer) he became agressive.:disappoin

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Bars on windows in the DR are purely for decoration. Doms like the look. Half decent thief is thru them silently in under a minute. Dont look rich, have dogs, deadbolts on door of sleeping room and as a last resort a "little friend" and you will be fine. Do not leave the house vacant.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Considering that donP arrives at unfounded conclusions when dealing with crime here in DR, I guess I could do the same and take a shot at what really happened here. I bet that this sweet lil old lady new her attacker, she invited him in the house for her weekly drug deal, when the drug deal went sour (she tried to get over on the poor drug dealer) he became agressive.:disappoin
Let's not be too extreme. From past stories the most probable scenario is: When her guest the Sanky couldn't consumate the act due to her age and physical attributes (Afterall, he isn't a lawyer and there are things that even a Sanky won't do), she rejected him without compensation. When he refused to leave without compensation she set off the alarm for help. Just another story in the "Naked City".

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Murder Rates

:laugh:
You shot yourself in the foot there... :p
Have you not studied them before posting? :cross-eye

Most people would consider violent deaths as the most worrisome
crimes and an unwelcome environment.... and in this field the DR unfortunately ranks rather high.
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Slandering the Victim

Considering that donP arrives at unfounded conclusions when dealing with crime here in DR,...
I just post the news (almost always with a URL) as I get them and leave the conclusions to others.

I bet that this sweet lil old lady new her attacker, she invited him in the house for her weekly drug deal, when the drug deal went sour (she tried to get over on the poor drug dealer) he became agressive.:disappoin
...the most probable scenario is: When her guest the Sanky couldn't consumate the act due to her age and physical attributes (Afterall, he isn't a lawyer and there are things that even a Sanky won't do), she rejected him without compensation. When he refused to leave without compensation she set off the alarm for help.

These are very bold and shameless assumptions.
Shame on you!
Maybe you should check on FB first... :tired:

donP

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
According to that link a person is 4x more likely to be murdered in the D.R. than in the USA and that isn't a good stat.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Do not leave the house vacant.

It seems as though the opposite is quite often the case, I hear about more robberies while the residents are home than not. Seems the best way to avoid being burgled is always pretend you are out, if they know you're home they are more likely to burgle you, which is odd, but as are many things:rolleyes:
So let the weeds get out of hand, don't clean the paths down, leave loads of old mail at the door and all should be fine.

Seriously though, I don't think it matters either way to people who are prepared to risk their lives for unknown reward, in or out, if you are unlucky then you are the mark.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I just post the news (almost always with a URL) as I get them and leave the conclusions to others.

These are very bold and shameless assumptions.
Shame on you!
Maybe you should check on FB first... :tired:

donP

I don't have to check FB, I have you to do that for me. Thanks in advance.;)