British Lady Robbed in POP

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I did.
And it kept me from making stupid assumptions. :classic:

donP

Stupid assumptions? Need I remind you of all the stupid assumptions you made when the French guy shot and killed his assailant? Then it turned out that Frenchy was just as dangerous as his aggressor. Talk about not spitting up in the air.:confused:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Stupid Assumptions

Stupid assumptions? Need I remind you of all the stupid assumptions you made when the French guy shot and killed his assailant? Then it turned out that Frenchy was just as dangerous as his aggressor.

Yes, many assumptions were made in comments to what the press released.
Then the unexpected development of the case surprised all of the posters.
I reread the thread and found myself among many a 'stupid poster'...

donP

BTW:
Why was the Frenchman extradicted so hastily and not tried for his killing in this country?
Strange, isn't it?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
According to that link a person is 4x more likely to be murdered in the D.R. than in the USA and that isn't a good stat.

by those same links it is many times more likely your car will get stolen
in the US than over here. And you have 527 times more chance of being physically assaulted with major injuries in Turkey.

And yes you also have a 0,00249% chance of being murdered here... hmmm

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
BTW:
Why was the Frenchman extradicted so hastily and not tried for his killing in this country?
Strange, isn't it?
Maybe because he was being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight? He did the Dominican government a favor and was no longer their problem with an outstanding arrest warrant.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Those crime stats are from 2004,and 2006.BEFORE the drug culture took over the DR!
There have been aprox. 100 police/military personel killed in the DR so far this year!
In a country with the same population as NYC!
Ihave been reading DRnewspapers since 1986.I have seen the change!
I used to walk through the worst neighborhoods in SD at 3 or 4 in the morning!
No one would touch a foreigner in those days!
Now I DON'T LEAVE MY HOUSE AT NIGHT.
My dogs are so mean,they bite us!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
High Risk

by those same links it is many times more likely your car will get stolen
in the US than over here.
Interesting :tired:
And that is why I do not drive my car from here to the US.... :classic:

BTW, there seem to be other dangers of losing your car.
Canadiense denuncia mafia le rob? yipeta
[This is an article which also appeared a fortnight ago in another online paper...]

And yes you also have a 0,00249% chance of being murdered here... hmmm
Correct [although the figure is obsolete].
25 murders (or rather 'violent deaths') in 100,000 inhabitants is a relatively high number and puts the DR among the top 15 (or 13, depending on the source) countries worldwide.

donP

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
25 murders (or rather 'violent deaths') in 100,000 inhabitants is a relatively high number and puts the DR among the top 15 (or 13, depending on the source) countries worldwide.

donP

So discounting the criminals killed... Oops! Sorry! The criminals that got engaged with the police on a "intercambio de disparos", the ones killed by their affiliation to the gangs, drugs, underworld, etc... The women that get killed by the partners that loved them to the death literally and the common familycides, the number of homicides attributed to violent crime in the DR is what number per 100,000?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Those crime stats are from 2004,and 2006.BEFORE the drug culture took over the DR!
There have been aprox. 100 police/military personel killed in the DR so far this year!
In a country with the same population as NYC!
Ihave been reading DRnewspapers since 1986.I have seen the change!
I used to walk through the worst neighborhoods in SD at 3 or 4 in the morning!
No one would touch a foreigner in those days!
Now I DON'T LEAVE MY HOUSE AT NIGHT.
My dogs are so mean,they bite us!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

:laugh:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Government Figures

So discounting the criminals killed... Oops! Sorry! The criminals that got engaged with the police on a "intercambio de disparos", the ones killed by their affiliation to the gangs, drugs, underworld, etc... The women that get killed by the partners that loved them to the death literally and the common familycides, the number of homicides attributed to violent crime in the DR is what number per 100,000?

TRUE and recent numbers are not available.
Government figures can be found here:
..:: Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica Dominicana ::.. Estad?sticas
[I don't have much confidence in them. Several ststistics have not been updated for years...]
I better not give you my estimated multiplying factor for certain government figures... :rolleyes:

donP

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So I'm a little confused, does this number (25 per 100,000) include the killing by the police of criminals in action and the killings of police officers?
I have never felt like have been living in such a dangerous place, but saying 15th most likely place in the world to be murdered is not a nice thought.
It would be nice to have a stat that gave innocent bystanders killed, victims of robbery etc, I'm unsure what to make of that really.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
So this is the explanation of those statistics about murders...

" Intentional homicide rate is the estimate of intentional homicides in a country as a result of domestic disputes that end in a killing, interpersonal violence, violent conflicts over land resources, inter-gang violence over turf or control, and predatory violence and killing by armed groups. The term, intentional homicide, is broad, but it does not include all intentional killing. In particular, deaths arising from armed conflict are usually considered separately. The difference is usually described by the organisation of the killing. Individuals or small groups usually commit homicide, whereas the killing in armed conflict is usually committed by more or less cohesive groups of up to several hundred members. Two main sources of data are presented: criminal justice (law enforcement) measures (this series), supplemented by data from national statistical agencies, and measures from public health sources (see other intentional homicide series). These various sources measure slightly different phenomena and are therefore unlikely to provide identical numbers."

I did not read this explanation before I posted the links. Shows you just how statistics are manipulated.

I concur with givadogahome about the stat of innocent bystanders. But it is a dream, as it is impossible to know the real truth behind some violent crimes.

So maybe a question for the experts here. How many innocent victims were killed this year in the Sosua and Cabarete area?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey for you newbies if you haven't figured it out Donp hates everything Dominican and no doubt is a very unhappy camper living here. He also lives in an area of crime and apparently spends a good portion of his waking time looking for "interesting" ie articles that show the "real" DR to finally prove what he has believed all along that Dominicans have an inferior and primitive culture.

Please feel free to correct me Don if I've left something out.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
TRUE and recent numbers are not available.
Government figures can be found here:
..:: Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica Dominicana ::.. Estad?sticas
[I don't have much confidence in them. Several ststistics have not been updated for years...]
I better not give you my estimated multiplying factor for certain government figures... :rolleyes:

donP

Venezuela has a murder rate of more than 50 per 100,000 residents, one of the worst in the western hemisphere; in Caracas it's 140 per 100,000 residents, making it the most dangerous city in South America, second in the hemisphere only to Ju?rez, Mexico, the deadliest in the world.

Read more: The Wilson Ramos Kidnapping: Another Major League Reminder of Venezuela’s Crime Crisis - Global Spin - TIME.com

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
So maybe a question for the experts here. How many innocent victims were killed this year in the Sosua and Cabarete area?

When a tourist is involved in a fatal traffic accident and is consequently murdered on the spot, is that an innocent victim? I saw a police report in the police station in Cabarete when 2 Bulgarian tourists were killed by a mob after an accident - they tried to run away but didn't make it. Not sure if it was reported anywhere, if I remember correctly the report was from March 2011. Just another argument against driving in DR.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
When a tourist is involved in a fatal traffic accident and is consequently murdered on the spot, is that an innocent victim? I saw a police report in the police station in Cabarete when 2 Bulgarian tourists were killed by a mob after an accident - they tried to run away but didn't make it. Not sure if it was reported anywhere, if I remember correctly the report was from March 2011. Just another argument against driving in DR.

Was that around the same time that Roswell flying disc landed in a platano field and the drivers got lynched too???

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Just another argument against driving in DR.

Well no, it is an argument about ever getting out of your car or even stopping if you hit anything and stay away from anywhere where mob mentality is likely, stop at a trusted station. I still don't know how people end up in such situations where they would be surrounded and killed, surely instincts kick in and you know to offski, just basic instincts isn't it?

Hey for you newbies if you haven't figured it out Donp hates everything Dominican and no doubt is a very unhappy camper living here. He also lives in an area of crime and apparently spends a good portion of his waking time looking for "interesting" ie articles that show the "real" DR to finally prove what he has believed all along that Dominicans have an inferior and primitive culture.

Please feel free to correct me Don if I've left something out.

Chip, you and Donp are like oil and water.

You paint everything white and innocent, no matter what. If you guys were at the sinking Titanic i bet you would be the one saying with your fingers deep in you ears ""This is not happening- this is not happening"". And in the other end of the line you have your buddy Donp sitting in the very first lifeboat with 5 lifejackets strapped around him shouting at you: ""I told you so- I told you so"".

:D