British Lady Robbed in POP

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hey for you newbies if you haven't figured it out Donp hates everything Dominican and no doubt is a very unhappy camper living here. He also lives in an area of crime and apparently spends a good portion of his waking time looking for "interesting" ie articles that show the "real" DR to finally prove what he has believed all along that Dominicans have an inferior and primitive culture.

Please feel free to correct me Don if I've left something out.

That "Area of crime" is better know as the D.R.

Chip has a thing about anyone named "Don" or "Any other name" that doesn't agree with him.
Just check out his next response.

Don

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I reread the thread and found myself among many a 'stupid poster'...

donP

BTW:
Why was the Frenchman extradicted so hastily and not tried for his killing in this country?
Strange, isn't it?

Oh I don't know, perhaps the charges awaiting frenchy back home superseded those he could have faced here. Or perhaps the police here knew that the family members of Frenchy's assailant were not going to press charges. You're guess is as good as mine, because after all, its all assumptions.

Assumptions mind you, that actually don't mean a thing, except that you seem to always turn them into something sinister or evil, most times than not always against the DR.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, you and Donp are like oil and water.

You paint everything white and innocent, no matter what. If you guys were at the sinking Titanic i bet you would be the one saying with your fingers deep in you ears ""This is not happening- this is not happening"". And in the other end of the line you have your buddy Donp sitting in the very first lifeboat with 5 lifejackets strapped around him shouting at you: ""I told you so- I told you so"".

:D

Well apparently you haven't seen my hundreds of posts complaining about the politicians here. I have also complained about the driving and customer service, or lack of as well as Codetel, Edenorte, etc. As a father of 3 I am also worried about crime, but where I live in Santiago it has been relatively quiet, ie no home invasions except for one ajuste de cuentas.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lying to Newbies

Hey for you newbies if you haven't figured it out Donp hates everything Dominican and no doubt is a very unhappy camper living here
False and mischievous statement.

I am happily married to a Dominican; we (5) live on a 120 tarea finca (not connected to the Dominican infrastructure :classic: ) and I have nothing against the DR and do like living here (as we have for 16 years).

He also lives in an area of crime ...
Well, as said I live in the DR... :rolleyes:

apparently spends a good portion of his waking time looking for "interesting" ie articles that show the "real" DR to finally prove what he has believed all along ...
Nonsense.
I am interested in the country where I live and thus read the papers daily.
Indeed, I believe that certain forums prefer to give a rose-coloured picture of the country and certain posters do so in particular. :classic:
There is nothing wrong with that (and I know why they do so).

I simply try to give the full picture, as a counterweight if you like.
And I should guess, there is nothing wrong with that either.

...that Dominicans have an inferior and primitive culture.
I have lived in Asian and African countries and worked in development aid.
I always accepted those cultures as different, and not looking down at them and learned a lot by living in them.
Just as I am learning still...

donP

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It only seems so.

Oh I don't know, perhaps the charges awaiting frenchy back home superseded those he could have faced here.
You seem to know the country well. :classic:
The Frenchman was sought in his home country on drug charges (if I remember correctly), here he killed someone.

IMO, rule of law and constitutionality would have required to persecute the Frenchman here (first).

you seem to always turn them into something sinister or evil, most times than not always against the DR.
I have nothing against the DR, you and/or Chip.... :cool:

donP

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
reading all these posts about how crooks break through or cut through any type of bars on windows is so disturbing!!!!!!!!! specially after i spent so much money putting the best window bars money can find on my place in santiago. makes me think twice about the next phase with the apt which is furnishing it and sending high end appliances and TVs from here (NY) :-(

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
locks and bars are easy -ive cut through both with hand saw in seconds, sorry everyone, but was a wood saw, not even a metal saw

Only if they were plastic bars, a wood saw would not cut through metal by hand as the TPI is too low. You would need an awful lot of power, speed and weight behind it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
reading all these posts about how crooks break through or cut through any type of bars on windows is so disturbing!!!!!!!!! specially after i spent so much money putting the best window bars money can find on my place in santiago. makes me think twice about the next phase with the apt which is furnishing it and sending high end appliances and TVs from here (NY) :-(

Santiago isn't Sosua, nonetheless there are still some bad areas.

The iron bars are only a part of the defense you have in your house. I would also recommend and infrared system placed on the inside of each of the 4 walls. If you are not at the home for extended periods of times I'm pretty certain that you can get a security service that will be notified when the alarm goes off. I think it runs RD2-4k a month. You need to have a iron gate of the type to prevent cats and small dogs from entering.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
YEA! Chip,that would work!
The company would be there in only a few hours! If then!
I had iron "mesh" welded on the outside doors to my house.That stops using a car jack to pop the bars,or using a hack saw.
You need to protect the padlock,so it cannot be hammered off,or cut off with bolt cutters.
If your place is vacant for extended periods,beware. The watchman will inform his "Amigos",and act as a "Watchman" for THEM,while they rob your place!!!!!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Boy am I sick and tired when the "Spinners" on DR1,ALWAYS have to compare anything negative in the DR,with the rest of the known world!!!!!!!!
If you are honest,and live here,you will know what is the REAL DR!
The only dead bodies I ever saw in the USA,were in the hospital where I worked,and my dead relatives in their casket!
I have seen dozens here!
Now there is a VALID COMPARISON!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
Did you know about this other Dominican group?

I've read with interest about the undeniable rise in crime in DR. But I also read between the lines and having been an expat in Europe and Brazil I realize why I've never been a fan of expat groups. Most of their time they spend bitching about the country they're in and nothing the host country and its citizens do is quite as good as their native place. No one has ever been able to tell me though why the hell don't you leave and go back to your wonderful place of birth? But the other group in the Dominican Republic is the professional, well-educated class. Reading this forum one would think there are two, no, three (Haitians) groups of people living in DR: The expats, the colmado dwellers-conchodrivers-hanky-panky Dominicans. Good night in heavens, I've said this before. There is an entire class of people who are professionals, live in normal/nice homes, go to work everyday, their kids go to karate and piano lessons and they go on vacation every year. Those are the Dominicans that I know but they seem to be the unseen class by this forum.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've read with interest about the undeniable rise in crime in DR. But I also read between the lines and having been an expat in Europe and Brazil I realize why I've never been a fan of expat groups. Most of their time they spend bitching about the country they're in and nothing the host country and its citizens do is quite as good as their native place. No one has ever been able to tell me though why the hell don't you leave and go back to your wonderful place of birth? But the other group in the Dominican Republic is the professional, well-educated class. Reading this forum one would think there are two, no, three (Haitians) groups of people living in DR: The expats, the colmado dwellers-conchodrivers-hanky-panky Dominicans. Good night in heavens, I've said this before. There is an entire class of people who are professionals, live in normal/nice homes, go to work everyday, their kids go to karate and piano lessons and they go on vacation every year. Those are the Dominicans that I know but they seem to be the unseen class by this forum.

Your have some good points. The reason we do not see many of the upper and middle class locals is because most Expats are not living where the most of the middle and upper class Dominicans live. I personally would not live on an island and live in the center of it. Be that Santiago, La Vega, Jarabacoa, or other towns "inside" the island. I also would not live in Santo Domingo, which is not only my least favorite location in the DR, but is one of my least favorite anywhere that I have visited. Including Detroit and my home town.

Hence, the Expats tend to be isolated from those of similar class level from whence they came and that causes the culture class crash you are observing. Does that make sense to you?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think anybody who spends their time chasing hookers in this country would have a negative opinion of Dominicans just like Dominicans have of them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My wife's nephew in Santiago sells and installs home and business alarm systems in both Miami and Santiago if anyone has a need for a consultation. He is of top character and ethics.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The,so called,"Rich Dominicans" are a bigger "Pain-In-The-A$$" than the poor ones!
Only good thing is that there are so few of them!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002

The "herrero" that made our bars showed us how thieves pry the bars enough to fit through them with a regular pair of jeans. It was pretty interesting.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Santiago isn't Sosua, nonetheless there are still some bad areas.

The iron bars are only a part of the defense you have in your house. I would also recommend and infrared system placed on the inside of each of the 4 walls. If you are not at the home for extended periods of times I'm pretty certain that you can get a security service that will be notified when the alarm goes off. I think it runs RD2-4k a month. You need to have a iron gate of the type to prevent cats and small dogs from entering.

As I first read your post I thought you were referring to the 4 "interior" walls of the house, but after reading the last sentence realized you meant the 'exterior" perimeter walls of the property.

There is "no way" you will prevent cats from climbing over the walls except perhaps (1) the wall is extremely high or perhaps (2) you install an electric fence unit on the top of the walls with multiple lines so that if a cat does make it to the top, the electric shock will tend to discourage them. Note also that cats will also squeeze under the space below the gate or even the space between the wall and the gate on those sliding gates. (the wheels on the gate keeps it elevated off the ground and gives space for critters (Rats, Cats, etc.) to enter.

Another problem with outdoor Infrared sensors of ANY type is that birds and/or lizards will also trigger an event, producing a false alarm.

Yet another problem with Infrared sensors is that those who knows what they are doing can simply walk right pass them and not trigger an alarm.

How many on here have outdoor motion sensor security lights and at times walk by them and the lights do not activate?

In the past I have had three (3) Infrared sensors across the front yard, yet my mother-in-law many times did not trigger any of them (And she walks slow). I have since solved that problem, now I always know when someone is out there. In the movies where the guys are robbing a bank, etc., note that they have to out-wit Infrared "BEAMS", not Infrared motion sensors. Chances of a thief coming to your yard and crawling on his belly is probably not going to happen. Unlike in the movies, Infrared beams are invisible.

Glass break detectors and mag switches on each window is a great way to go.
Mag switches can be placed if you wish for fully closed windows and also a set to allow the window to be open say 4 inches (If you do not have air condition). Breaking the glass or moving the window (Slide windows) will set off the alarm.

Jalousie windows are bad, bad, bad......

Video cameras showing all four (4) sides of the property in a quad image on a monitor(s) is very, very good to have, especially in those times when an outdoor sensor goes off. Another nice thing is to have an alarm system that "announces" which sensor has triggered, good to know so you know which way to point the shotgun.

Good security is not a "Plug and Play" module.

Don

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
All I know is that you will be badly bit-up or kill if you are home when they break-in.

gtoane

Nov 14, 2011
it might be a good idea to have a dead bolt on you bedroom door. it might keep intruders out of you bedroom if they get into your house. also you can purchase inexpensive burglar alarms with motion sensors which you can leave on at night. they have very loud alarms which might scare off intruders. these are controlled by a remote. i purchase mine on ebay..

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
My husband's brother owns a condo on the 2nd floor of a beautiful building in El Million [SD]- they cut through the bars, slipped inside and robbed them while they were all sleeping [him, his wife, three adult children]. Took things off the night table inches from his head. No one woke up, probably for the best.

He had the bars reinforced and additional horizontal bars.

AE

While staying in Cafemba in June of this year... our house had iron bars & gates but Raul's cousin's house next door, not so lucky. Someone came in the dining room window during the night, stole her purse and jewelery... and ransacked their daughter's bedroom while she was asleep with her ipod playing...thank god because who knows what would have happened if she'd woke up screaming... Thankfully we had borrowed her TV and had it next door in our protected house... the thieves had visited several other homes that night and made off with lots of valuables... but nobody was hurt.

it might be a good idea to have a dead bolt on you bedroom door. it might keep intruders out of you bedroom if they get into your house..

Good idea, gives you enough time to prepare the shotgun and the handgun. It is also a good idea to have a very small camera hidden in the ceiling outside your bedroom, pointing towards the bedroom door- so you know where the critters are for a perfect headshot.

Last edited: