Cafe Cubano owner Brian

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fresh Fresh cafe is in the plaza adjacent to CMC. Others can suggest hotels. Nothing I know right there.

KenMo2k

Apr 13, 2015
Cafe Cubano

Can anyone recommend a hotel near the hospital and cafe within walking distance or is a car necessary?

Sorry I meant a hotel that is in walking distance to CMC and Cafe Cubano. Or is it recommended that we rent a car.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Ken, is that you? Unfamiliar with Sosua, but looking for help re accomodations. Coreen wanted to come from Cuba to see Brian-happy a face from home can visit! We were there just 2 wks ago & shared the afternoon with him & he was doing great all considered.
Carol & Gary

Aug 21, 2007
We called the Hospital yesterday and the person there said that Brian is very lonely at the Hospital (CMC Sosua). A couple of his friends are headed to Sosua from here (Toronto) on Thursday (16th) to see how he is doing. They'll be looking for English speaking people at Brian's Cafe' to share news.

Although I don't know Brian personally, I have eaten at Cuban Cafe many times over the years. The comment that he is very lonely makes me sad.

Brian was always sitting at a table visiting with those who came to the restaurant. He was a friend to all. ALL. I can't help but wonder where are those people now? I know that we are entering low season, but for those who know Brian who are living here and still around, please take 5 minutes to stop by and pass on well wishes.

And for now, I will give Brian my positive thoughts and prayers.

Lindsey

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Sorry I meant a hotel that is in walking distance to CMC and Cafe Cubano. Or is it recommended that we rent a car.
Sorry I can't recommend a hotel because I have never stayed in one in Sosua. But there are many places that are within easy walking distance from CMC and Cafe Cubano. You definitely don't need a car.
Here's a few but as I said I have never stayed in any but maybe some others can give you a recommendation.
Mack.
Booking.com: Hotels in Sos?a. Book your hotel now!

KenMo2k

Apr 13, 2015
Coming to Sosua

Ken, is that you? Unfamiliar with Sosua, but looking for help re accomodations. Coreen wanted to come from Cuba to see Brian-happy a face from home can visit! We were there just 2 wks ago & shared the afternoon with him & he was doing great all considered.
Carol & Gary

Hi Gary and Carol,
Yes it is Ken. You can email me at behindthescreen@rogers.com

KenMo2k

Apr 13, 2015
Our Hotel has now been secured thanks. It is 2 minutes from Caf? Cubano and not far at all from the Hospital. Thanks for your posts and thoughts everyone.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Two places are in short walking distance to CMC clinic - Trade Winds and Casa Manana. I recommend the later one. The owner - Mike, is a great guy, he lives there. He is a Canadian. Unfortunately, he had a stroke last month too, but he is recovering now. Their phone # is 809-571-4020.

KenMo2k

Apr 13, 2015
Update on Brian

Here's an update on Brian folks. As of yesterday (Friday April 17), Brian has been released from Hospital and is showing positive signs of improvement. Many of his friends have rallied around him to help get him settled back at home and keep and eye on him moving forward. He is moving slowly and is able to respond (mostly in Spanish). He has a couple of very good Canadian friends with him until the end of next week. He'll probably be seen out front at the Cafe Cubano very soon.Many thanks to those who called, posted to this forum, showed up, and generally "cared". My wife is one of the two Canadians there helping to look after Brian at the moment and some of her first observations were how lovely the people in Brian's community are....his friends, fellow business owners and the staff and customers at the Cafe Cubano. God bless you all.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the update. I was going to visit him in the hospital this afterrnoon! Please do give him my best for a speedy recovery.
Rosanne

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
He has family on the scene. He's been released from CMC and is at home. He's being taken care of by family for another week and more long term arrangements for his welfare are being made.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
That is great news. I just got home late yesterday and was going to visit the hospital tomorrow. Glad he has such a great support team.

Bob K

Aug 21, 2007
Glad all is going well. I hope he is back in the saddle at Cafe Cubano soon. I think being there with friends stopping by will help both the body and the spirit.

Lindsey

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The family and close friends have arranged physical therapy for him, but he's also going to need speech and occupational therapy and that is proving to be a challenge. I've given a referral for home nursing, but if anybody has any ideas about contacts for OT and ST, we'd very much appreciate it.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
he's also going to need speech and occupational therapy and that is proving to be a challenge. I've given a referral for home nursing, but if anybody has any ideas about contacts for OT and ST, we'd very much appreciate it.

You can try IRO, Instituto Rehabitaci?n Ortopeda in Puerto Plata. They offer speech therapy for sure, not certain about OT. Phone number is 809-224-2219. It is located near Bournigal on a street that runs between Beller and Antera Mota.

Edited to Add:

I know that the children of Mustard Seed receive occupational therapy at the public hospital. Not sure if you want to go that route.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Bob, Brian's 2 Cdn friends arranged for someone to be with him Monday to Friday, with someone else to be with him weekends. He is at his apt. His friends have returned home for now, with hopes of getting him back to Canada for therapy. I have no info so far about the cafe but hope to talk tonight to another of Brian's friends who is in contact with the 2 that visited him (she's not on DR1) so I am passing along what I know. Much will depend I guess on how much money is raised, see post 57, and when he will able to fly.
Thank you for everyone's concern.
Carol