Cafe Cubano owner Brian

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
thank you for the update. Do you know if he is "accepting visitors". If so could you PM me his address. Thanks

Bob K

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have contact info for his Canadian helpers. They hired an amazing professional Dominican nurse to provide in-home care. It's important also to contribute to the on-line fund established to help underwrite his trip back to Canada for more comprehensive therapy. I don't usually contribute to that kind of appeal, but in this case--because Brian is so special--I did. And they are dong it right: speedily generated acknowledgement letter and e-mail confirmation.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Bob I'm sorry I don't know about visitors, nor do I have his address. Thanks meemselle, perhaps you could share your info with Bob? I am in Mississauga, getting info from Alberta, who is getting updates from the toronto friends that visited.

KenMo2k

Apr 13, 2015
If anyone knows of Any Speech Therapy options (other than the one listed earlier in this thread) near Sosua or even in Santo Domingo, could you please post them here for us. I'm the husband of one of the 2 Canadian Ladies that went to Sosua to help out when Brian was released from Hospital (and also created the fund raising site). The critical ingredient in his care and rehabilitation will be Speech Therapy which may allow him to become more self sufficient. At the moment there has not been much progress in that area. We are extremely grateful to those who have come forward to help on a day to day basis and to those who contributed to the fundraiser. God bless you all.

KenMo2k

Apr 13, 2015
If anyone knows of Any Speech Therapy options (other than the one listed earlier in this thread) near Sosua or even in Santo Domingo, could you please post them here for us. I'm the husband of one of the 2 Canadian Ladies that went to Sosua to help out when Brian was released from Hospital (and also created the fund raising site). The critical ingredient in his care and rehabilitation will be Speech Therapy which may allow him to become more self sufficient. At the moment there has not been much progress in that area. We are extremely grateful to those who have come forward to help on a day to day basis and to those who contributed to the fundraiser. God bless you all.

The one listed earlier was IRO, Instituto Rehabitaci?n Ortopeda in Puerto Plata.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Update on Brian's rehabilitation fund (post 57 for link)

We would like to thank all of you for your support. Brian has been away for a long time and it is truly heartwarming that many of you remember him and care about his recovery. We are still looking into our options but cannot get a returned phone call from Kathleen Wynne's office about bringing him back into the Ontario healthcare system. It is a tricky situation since Brian may not be allowed to re enter on a commercial flight and an air ambulance is 30,000 dollars. Meanwhile your donations will continue to maintain the 24 hour nursing care that we put in place before we left the Dominican Republic. We have employed a German Physical Therapist and are hopeful of rehabilitating Brian's right side. We are confident of that. However Speech Therapy in the DR is illusive and is paramount to Brian's recovery. He will not be able to function and continue to run his business if he cannot speak, read or write. That is our deep concern. Our aim is to figure out how we can facilitate that. We are doing our best and cannot thank you enough for your contributions to Brian's recovery.
Maureen Morris & Melva Buell

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Isn't he better off in the DR because in Ontario he would have to wait 6 months to be covered by OHIP? I have not heard of any successful bending of the rule on that one.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Isn't he better off in the DR because in Ontario he would have to wait 6 months to be covered by OHIP? I have not heard of any successful bending of the rule on that one.

The second it hit the news that he was refused care in Canada he would be treated. I could never see Canadian government actually refusing a former Canadian health care. I could be wrong.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The second it hit the news that he was refused care in Canada he would be treated. I could never see Canadian government actually refusing a former Canadian health care. I could be wrong.

3 months in British Columbia. If you do not have supplemental insurance, they will not refuse you service but they will send you the bill for services.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Get treatment. Hang on to the bill for 90 days and you'll have a health card...the bill will go away.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
If he has a top end credit card like Visa Signature or Amex Platinum, they often cover 30K in air ambulance costs.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
From what I heard he is cared for at his home here and is getting better. A friend of mine saw him a week or two ago in his Cubano bar, he said he was unable to talk and looked fragile, but otherwise he was sitting there looking around, I guess that is an improvment to some months ago...