Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norberto61

Jun 21, 2015
I don't know what "real world" you are talking about. Canada?? I guess you have no clue of what goes on behind the scenes, for example, in a NYC highway project. Who is doing the penalizing when the sponsor and contractors are aligned? Real world 🤣🤣🤣
No - I live in Canada - the real world is always about the bullshit- I -in my dotage- have never seen anyone burned for delays- mosty not their fault - not sure where the "real world" is but pick some cigarettes off the trees for me - maybe get me some of those soft bolied eggs the hens lay there too

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It would be great to see the latest pictures of the progress on the bridge. Any takers?

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Sorry JD no photos. But I did pass by to have a look. They have packed dirt around the lower half of the rebar, enclosing it in a pit, leaving space between the pit walls and rebar for concrete to flow. They are building forms around the upper part of the rebar. Lots of workers present.

Reactions: JD Jones

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
No - I live in Canada - the real world is always about the bullshit- I -in my dotage- have never seen anyone burned for delays- mosty not their fault - not sure where the "real world" is but pick some cigarettes off the trees for me - maybe get me some of those soft bolied eggs the hens lay there too
Hola Norberto61. Your reference to some of the lyrics from,”The Big Rock Candy Mountain“, made me chuckle. Loved that song when I was a kid. I‘m departing Western Newfoundland and heading back to the DR in January. Hoping to pick up my rental car at POP airport, drive across the new Cangrejo bridge, and head straight to Luperon. During my winter stays, I cross that bridge a lot to visit friends in Cabarete and Sosúa. The thought of having to navigate that detour, especially during heavy rainfall, is not appealing.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I believe they are even better than Oderbrecht.
Ohh yes Oderbrecht... the people that built punta catalina power plant, so all the people in the DR could have reliable and cheap electricty... and they also gave the politicos a large retirement account.........

Reactions: drstock

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The detour road was brutal yesterday. It took me 50 minutes. The traffic was backed up onto the highway going to Puerto Plata. There was no accident or broken car but a huge pothole that minimized the traffic to nearly one lane. Of course, there were the idiots passing in the other lane and then trying to cut it. Amet and the military doing nothing but watching. Figured they could have helped direct the traffic. I'm not good at keeping my cool in those situations. I have zero patience.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A year and a half later and the bridge is still not fixed?
How long did it take them to fix that bridge down in La Vega recently?
It sounds like the local munipality is doing what they always do throughout this country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It sounds like the local munipality is doing what they always do throughout this country.
It wasn't the local government who is at fault as I understand it. It was people owning property they needed to purchase to do the project.
For some reason they need more land than the original bridge.

At one time there was a plan to have four lanes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete. Is the new bridge 4 lanes?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It wasn't the local government who is at fault as I understand it. It was people owning property they needed to purchase to do the project.

At one time there was a plan to have four lanes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete. Is the new bridge 4 lanes?
I've no idea.
My last trip up to Sosewer was July 2021.
I'm still waiting for them to clean the place up (a little too American ghetto for me now adays) before I spend anymore of my time or money up there.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
The La Vega overpass took 13 months, and that was on one of the major highways.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

It could be the angle, but the column or retention wall appears to be wider than the road.
JqFFecP.png

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Seems like a lot of work to span a twenty foot wide river ( open sewer )
Measure it on Google Earth and let us know how wide it is. (Hint: it's over 100')
Then entire bridge will be almost 250' long.

Status
Not open for further replies.